Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So recently I posted about getting an oily, fuel smelling residue all over my carb and on my fins in between the jugs. Today I had a few things off of the bike mocking up a Harley horn for it and found the source of the leak. It is coming from the vent hose on top of the carb that runs down the front. Don't have a pic of the hose, but it is part number 16144-MEA-671 if you look at the fische.

DOES ANYBODY OUT THERE KNOW WHY IT WOULD BE LEAKING?!?!? It's freaking driving me crazy.

·
Registered
6,252 Posts
That's got me stumped. it's just a vent tube on the left side of the carb. Maybe Charlie D will have an answer for that.

·
Registered
6,252 Posts
If it isn't bad then I would not worry . Vent tubes are for venting.
As long as it is on the left side of the carb. If it is onthe right rear side behind the carb between the cylenders then it is the crankcase vent tube (do not block or plug) and should be connected the rear bottom back of the airbox.

Doug

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
have you taken carb apart and cleaned it. the usual cause of the overflow tube spewing gas is the carb overflowing. should check the petcock and the the float needle. gas might be overflowing

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
have you taken carb apart and cleaned it. the usual cause of the overflow tube spewing gas is the carb overflowing. should check the petcock and the the float needle. gas might be overflowing
When I first got the bike, it was pretty rusted from sitting up for a while and until I got the tank refinished I ended up with a lot of trash causing the float to stick. I used to have to tear the carb down about every two weeks to clean it out, now that the tank is clean and in good condition, I haven't next time I have a little while off I probably will tear it down. What do I need to check for with the petcock and what should I look at with the float needle?

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
When I first got the bike, it was pretty rusted from sitting up for a while and until I got the tank refinished I ended up with a lot of trash causing the float to stick. I used to have to tear the carb down about every two weeks to clean it out, now that the tank is clean and in good condition, I haven't next time I have a little while off I probably will tear it down. What do I need to check for with the petcock and what should I look at with the float needle?

need to check all rubber in the carb. inspect all rubber diaphragms for tiny holes or cracks. especially the slide diaphragm. with the petcock. take it apart and clean it up and check the diaphragm for holes

·
Registered
12,050 Posts

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
I can't remember...do you have an aftermarket air intake? If so, check the front cylinder vent tube (on the front cylinder, left side of the bike) to see where it's routed. Some people re-route that vent tube up underneath the tank, and the blow-by from the front cylinder vent tube may be blowing onto the carb...making it look like it's that carb vent tube that's the culprit.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can't remember...do you have an aftermarket air intake? If so, check the front cylinder vent tube (on the front cylinder, left side of the bike) to see where it's routed. Some people re-route that vent tube up underneath the tank, and the blow-by from the front cylinder vent tube may be blowing onto the carb...making it look like it's that carb vent tube that's the culprit.
Still running the stock airbox. Had a Hypercharger but never put it on. I wanna paint my engine but I can't keep the gunk off of it and don't want it to ruin my paint.

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
Still running the stock airbox. Had a Hypercharger but never put it on. I wanna paint my engine but I can't keep the gunk off of it and don't want it to ruin my paint.
In that case, did you check to make sure that blow-by hose is still connected to the back of the airbox? The PO may have moved it up under the tank.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
In that case, did you check to make sure that blow-by hose is still connected to the back of the airbox? The PO may have moved it up under the tank.
Sorry, I read that and immediately thought "PO" "parole officer". Lol.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Now for some positive input... If it's not too much residue then it may be some vapor that condensed after hot temps. I know my tank vent hose gets a little slimy on the end after parking in the hot sun.

As mentioned, if its more than a little then it's a sign of overflow and the carb will need to be gone through... Slide diaghram and float needle would be the most likely culprits.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Now for some positive input... If it's not too much residue then it may be some vapor that condensed after hot temps. I know my tank vent hose gets a little slimy on the end after parking in the hot sun.

As mentioned, if its more than a little then it's a sign of overflow and the carb will need to be gone through... Slide diaghram and float needle would be the most likely culprits.
Ill pull it Monday and check.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm still pretty much a VTXOA virgin so I' m not sure how to post a pic of it, but can anybody post the parts fische and show me exactly what I should be looking at? I know what the needle is, but how bout the other diaphragm?

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts