Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I have a recently purchased 02’ with roughly 7500 miles and put over 1200 miles in the previous year. It still runs a bit rough at times and doesn’t feel like I have both cylinders at times. I just completed the ground fix, replaced plugs, all new fluids all around, block off plates, and new tires. Getting around 100-110 miles before low gas light and I have read others Getting closer to 130 or so.
Checked the FPR and no issue but wondering if it may contribute to current issues?
As for fuel injectors-would having those clean help out as well? Wasn’t sure with the low miles if that would be an issue.
first 1800 and love it so far. Great information on the forum. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
The fpr on the early vtx1800's fails due to age not mileage. Does the oil smell like it has gasoline in it. I replaced mine and the symptoms were rough at idle but when on the throttle would run ok. It's an easy replacement and not expensive. Do yourself a favor , change it out for insurance and peace of mind. PS Gas in the oil will ruin that engine.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
I also run a '02 18C. It is extremely hard to diagnose performance problems via the internet. Mine has about 120,000 miles on it. Still runs great. I think Tar Snakes' advice is good. I changed mine out back in '06 or '07. It had not failed, I did it to prevent a possible horror show since at that time I was taking many long cycle trips. For the $30 and half an hour it takes, do yourself a favor and change it out.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
If you do change it here were my steps. Drain the the oil and put 4 quarts of 10/40 dino oil ,rode it for about 40/50 miles and changed oil/filter with Amsoil 10/40 synthetic again....just to flush the engine with the dino.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Deleted

·
Registered
11,015 Posts
The little diaphragm develops cracks, letting fuel into the cylinders and crankcase. Price probably is around $40 now, but still worth being pro-active changing it. Mileage will depend on riding styles too. If you wind the gears out, you will get lower than cruising and short-shifting. I routinely get 110-120 before my light comes on, then I plan to stop for fuel before I'm pushing it.

Reactions: Blast

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the prompt replies. I will add the new FPR to the spring unearthing as it's too cold right now to ride in my neck of the woods. Has anyone had issues with the fuel injectors giving any trouble from lack of use? The original owner I purchased it from rode it sparingly over the last few years...a bit of a garage queen for sure.

·
Super Moderator
64,411 Posts
No, it's a Honda and pretty reliable. You can run a can of Techron Fuel System cleaner through it. Split the bottle over 2 or 3 tank fill-ups.

·
Registered
13,465 Posts
One 1800 owner had a blob of something on the injector filter screen once.
I had a chainsaw with issues, on the 3rd look I removed the last two screens.
Between the screens was a metallic blob of something, almost looked like mercury.
Probably ethanol related..

Reactions: rangers4u
1 - 9 of 9 Posts