Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ride is a 2004 Honda VTX1300C, I have been using the K &N oil filter for the past 9 years. My question is, is Fram filter better, if so why, and will it fit properly. I've heard they are longer. Appreciate the feedback. Thanks, Steve.

·
Registered
14,476 Posts
One of our forum members used Fram oil filters.
One premium Fram does not have cardboard end cap.
I have not used a Fram in my 1300C.
I have used many Purolator filters > automotive filters,
PL14612, L14612

·
Old Goat
26,941 Posts
I like Bosch 3323…its longer …but they are getting hard to come by locally….Im gonna try the pictured filter….same characteristics /specificactions as the Bosch….good luck on your choice…
Light Product Camera lens Font Automotive tire

Reactions: rangers4u

·
Old Goat
26,941 Posts
Search for a 2000 Honda Civic filter. In whatever brand you want. They are longer, but still fit.
The one pictured fits my 2005 civic.I used the 3323 on my civic,my goldwing and my vtx…lol

·
Registered
82 Posts
Ride is a 2004 Honda VTX1300C, I have been using the K &N oil filter for the past 9 years. My question is, is Fram filter better, if so why, and will it fit properly. I've heard they are longer. Appreciate the feedback. Thanks, Steve.
As far as the question "is Fram better" well, they are both quality filters. I was using K&N for a couple of years, then switched to the Fram XG6607. It is just as well constructed, is rated to 99% efficiency, and is under 9 bucks on Amazon.

·
Registered
2009 Honda VTX1300C
5,519 Posts
Just a note to say that the majority of the automotive oil filters have the end caps redesigned from concave to convex.

I don't know if this is an issue for a Honda motorcycle but it is for Yamaha and some Kawasaki motorcycles.

The issue is that the the convex end cap design causes the end cap center to bottom out on the oil filter boss before fully engaging the gasket. Sometimes this is subtle and may not immediately leak.....

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Just a note to say that the majority of the automotive oil filters have the end caps redesigned from concave to convex.

I don't know if this is an issue for a Honda motorcycle but it is for Yamaha and some Kawasaki motorcycles.

The issue is that the the convex end cap design causes the end cap center to bottom out on the oil filter boss before fully engaging the gasket. Sometimes this is subtle and may not immediately leak.....
The 2000 Honda Civic filter works perfectly on the 1300 at least. This was the same filter I used on my Kawasaki ZX12R.

The only possible issue with the Civic filter is it is longer, because of this the filter may contact part of the bike (there was just enough gap on the ZX12R), or the ground. With the 1300 at least (I don't have an 1800) it fits perfectly.

The K&N and some other bike specific filters sometimes have a hex nut molded into the end of the filter, allowing one to use a socket to remove the filter. Also, if one is into racing, there may be a requirement to have the filter wire tied, which the K&N filter's welded/molded nut has a hole through it for this purpose.

·
Registered
12,911 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Tv
in theory longer we hope means it has more filter material in the innards and thus more dirt holding capacity and better flow if it starts clogging up. In practice who can say they get that dirty where it makes a real difference

·
Old Goat
26,941 Posts
Tv

in theory longer we hope means it has more filter material in the innards and thus more dirt holding capacity and better flow if it starts clogging up. In practice who can say they get that dirty where it makes a real difference
Most if not all of us (I know Ido)use the longer to facilitate using the full 4 quarts VS 3.9….I doubt any respectable VTX pilot would allow the filter IE engine to get filthy enough to clogged…lol…good luck..lol

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Just to add some meat on the bone. Has anyone acually pulled apart a used oil filter? I bet there is nothing but dirty oil in it. I believe (and I'm happy to be proved wrong, it's happened before) that oil filters are a bit of a scam. Oil technology has come forward in leaps and bounds over the years. Sure, back in the early days when tolerances were no so good, it was good insurance to change the filter. In fact, if manufacturers thought they could get away with it we would all have a pre filter to change as well. Oil change intervals have gone out further and further as things get better. My friend drove his new car (he lived in the outback and nowhere near any dealer) for about 50k miles before the first oil and filter change. The car is still going strong with 15k oil changes 15 years later. If it gives you peace of mind it is money well spent. If it is just a marketing scam then so be it. Your choice.

·
Registered
14,476 Posts
In September 2015, Hyundai recalled 470,000 Model Year 2011-2012 Sonata vehicles equipped with 2.4L and 2.0L Theta II GDI engines. Hyundai described the defect as metal debris generated while manufacturing the engine crankshaft being left in the component's oil passages.May 18, 2021

We had family members with the above engine and the loose metal pieces in the crankshaft destroyed the babbitt bearings before 90k miles. Whatever came out of the bearing then went into the filter or on the bottom of the pan Too late.
We got rid of ours at 130k, still running.
I prefill all my oil filters. My 57 Chevy 6 cyl had no oil filter. An optional bypass filter was available.

More Sonata crap>
One day the steering became very loose.
I thought some bolts or tie rod ends had failed.
The problem was a $3 o-ring like rubber insulator between the steering wheel and
the electric power steering unit. They refunded our $370 repair bill.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
The thing with 'full flow' filters is that the longer they remain in play, the more time the relief valve will be open. When the valve is open, oil goes right on by without being filtered. Since they are plumbed into the system between the pump and the main gallery they must have a relief valve to prevent an excessively dirty filter from starving the engine for oil. The cleaner the filter, the less amount of time the by-pass valve is open.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts