Honda VTX Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just to add some meat on the bone. Has anyone acually pulled apart a used oil filter? I bet there is nothing but dirty oil in it. I believe (and I'm happy to be proved wrong, it's happened before) that oil filters are a bit of a scam.
So a funny I noticed this week is I drive an 07 Nissan Altima 3.5 6cylinder with 265K miles. For it I keep on hand PH6607 tough guard filter or similar of another brand. I buy them a half dozen at a time always thinking “this will be the last time” because it’s getting so high up on mileage I’m waiting for a real expensive repair to happen. I was out on jpcycle’s site and noticed they offer that filter as compatible for the VTX1300. For the VTX I have been using STP S7317XL.. which is one of the larger fit filters that work. i don’t think the motorcycle faces the same wear and tear as my daily driver 6cylinder car. The car too uses 4.25 qts (bigger engine) vs 4qts motorcycle (much smaller).. If the smaller filter is fine for my daily driver 6cyl car that I have been using for 15yrs it is more than fine for the motorcycle. You are probably right that very little debris/dirt is gathering up in our motorcycle filters. The bigger danger is some kind of fouling or breakdown of the oil. I’ll keep changing the filter every oil change but the motorcycle probably doesn’t need it.

·
Registered
2006 1800S VTX
1,290 Posts
I use one of two Walmart filters when I can get them. I prefer the longer of the two. Since I generally change oil every 3,000 miles, I am not concerned about quality of the filter. Unless there is something very wrong in the engine, I can't imagine having so much debris in the oil that a less than premium filter would be a problem in 3000 miles.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts