Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched before I posted, and didn't find anything. I hope you guys can help me understand what this may be. I feel/hear a "friction" when the bike is leaned over. Not at slow parking lot speeds, but normal cruising, leaning to follow the road, I hear and feel a friction or rubbing. It's only when leaning, riding straight is smooth and quiet. The sound/feel lasts as long as I'm leaned, as I straighten it stops. It has a metallic quality, so I don't think that it is a normal rubber-on-the-road type sound. That's the best I can describe it. My bike is an 02 C with 6400 miles. Reading about the problems some have had with the rear bearings lately has me spooked. Any ideas? Thanks!

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'm not one of the better wrenches on this board, but I've heard that on my 03 1800C. It's actually my brake pads. All motorcycles I've owed over 25 years (4 of them - 2 Yamahas, 2 Hondas) have made this sound, expecially pronounced at times just after you've stopped and start moving slowly. There are times when I hear it in a turn. The rotors are a little loose by design I think, and the brake pads will contact the rotor even when you're not on one of the brake actuators.

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

Now, you professional wrenches can step in and slap me upside the head. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
525 Posts
Check your tires for cupping. Somewhere in her someone mentioned running 40 or 41 psi in them to reduce cupping. I started using that pressure and it rode much better.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
VTXnVa said:
Pegs, or the stock dunny front tire has cupped. Check your air pressure, make sure it's what is stamped on the tire.
Good point, Greg. The hierophants of this site generally agree that the stock Dunlop should be 38 front and 40 back (this is higher than what Dunlop says). 8)

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
highplainsxer said:
VTXnVa said:
Pegs, or the stock dunny front tire has cupped. Check your air pressure, make sure it's what is stamped on the tire.
Good point, Greg. The hierophants of this site generally agree that the stock Dunlop should be 38 front and 40 back (this is higher than what Dunlop says). 8)
Yeah, I knew that, but couldnt remember the exact numbers, CRS ya know :oops: Been on Metz' for 30K miles, so those number have long left the gray matter. :wink: :D

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the feedback, all. It's not the pegs; I've become very familiar with that sound. As far as tires go, I'm on Metzelers, running 38 up front and 40 rear and they are only a few hundred miles old. I think the brake pad theory sounds reasonable. And from your responses, I shouldn't be freaking out, right?

·
Registered
163 Posts
I asked this question (similar question) before and was told and tend to agree that there is a little flex in the front end and the pad rubs on the rotor just enough to make a little noise during cornering - I have the same sound, a friend that has an 03' 1800C hears the noise, as do the two other guys I have ridden with last summer. I tend to believe that it is normal - this is a suttle sound, just loud enough to bug ya? Mine is, and if it were bearings or something serious, I would think it to be more of a distinct noise/vibration. Be cautious if it gets any louder but I think you're ok.

·
Registered
316 Posts
emaynard said:
Thanks for the feedback, all. It's not the pegs; I've become very familiar with that sound. As far as tires go, I'm on Metzelers, running 38 up front and 40 rear and they are only a few hundred miles old. I think the brake pad theory sounds reasonable. And from your responses, I shouldn't be freaking out, right?
Brake pads!! Mine does it too! Every bike I've owned too!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Metalic scraping noise.

The pads are held in position at the top by a retaining clip. I had to replace the left calipers' retainer because the rotor had worn away the inner side of the retainer so that it no longer held the inner pad in position. I suspect this was caused by the pistons being stuck in their bores due to rust :!:
If the pistons cannot retreat back into their bores, it's like having the brake actuated and the caliper can't find its "rest position".
Time to rebuild the calipers :(

'02 VTX1800C, 54kmiles.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Snapshot

If your wheel is aligned in between the forks properly the calliper should never rub the rotor. I always collapse the callipers before I reinstall the front wheel.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts