Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my front brake pads for the first time simply due to mileage and time. The OEM originals actually still looked pretty good. Plenty of pad still left. My local dealer sold me EBC brand replacements. Having a 1300R, I disconnected the brake hose clamps to pull the caliper off to clean it with brake cleaner. The fender prevented it from detaching otherwise.

When I did, I notice 2 small spring clips that were there. They fell out during cleaning and I set 5hem aside. I actually forgot to reinstall them with the replacement pads. I figure they must serve a purpose so I’ll need to reinstall them tomorrow.

Does anyone know what the purpose of these are; and why would they not come with the new pads? Are they even needed? They look similar to the ones on my vehicle I replaced a while back. Thanks for any help. Photos attached.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
63,577 Posts
They push the pads away from the rotor to keep them cooler and to keep them from rattling. Yes, they are needed. Why didn't they come with the pads? EBC is a cheap aftermarket pads supplier and adding new clips would be more machines to make them. For brakes, always go Honda they are the best in power and less dust than those EBC

·
Registered
10,871 Posts
The clips are not a wear item.
One is a retainer and the other puts pressure on it to prevent pads from rattling.

There was a time we had pix but photobucket decided to collect money from what was small accounts so many pix lost.
https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/7-vtx-1300-riders-board/415330-1300-front-brake-pad-replacement-write-up-pics.html

A parts fiche view, 6 = pressure pad, 7= the tang on the pads go into sub-bracket.
https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/motorcycle/2005/vtx1300r-a/front-brake-caliper

No pix, more discussion.
https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/7-vtx-1300-riders-board/204888-metal-clip-front-brake-pads.html

I went and took a look and two pix. One retainer from the left side, the pad clip from rear/right.

Always put a bit of grease on the #13 Pin Hanger threads and the #12 pin plug.

What is the color of your brake fluid??
Ever bleed the brakes???

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
They push the pads away from the rotor to keep them cooler and to keep them from rattling. Yes, they are needed. Why didn't they come with the pads? EBC is a cheap aftermarket pads supplier and adding new clips would be more machines to make them. For brakes, always go Honda they are the best in power and less dust than those EBC
They don't come with the OEM Honda pads either, but Spike is right, the Honda pads are better. I tried the EBC sintered pads and went back to OEM well before they wore out!!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Brake Job now complete

Thanks to everyone for the prompt help and information. I finally got it all back together, bled the lines and exchanged the brake fluid both front and rear. The rear fluid reservoir was a PITA to access though. Stuck in tightly behind the exhaust with little wrenching room made it challenging. Now time for a ride!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts