Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm a new VTX owner (06 R) and had a question for y'all. After having a reputable local shop put on some new tires and EBC brake pads, I noticed that the brakes were loader than before. After reading on some online forums it seemed like a lot of people were saying that some noise was normal, especially with EBC brake pads because they are grooved differently than OEM. Then I came across the thread about how maybe some measurements could be wrong which is making the front brake drag more than it should. (http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthr...r-Drag!-Must-Read!&highlight=front+brake+wear)

Now I am getting a scraping sound though when I am nearing the completion of my stop coming from the front brake pretty regularly. The brakes still stop pretty well but I can feel the scraping through the handlebars. The front pads only have about 6K miles on them. I was trying to visually check the pad wear on the fronts but can't seem to see the pads. Should I take the caliper off to check or should I be able to see the pads on the front? (I have no trouble seeing the pads on the back brake) There also seems to be some (rust?) on the disk, is this harmful? I apologize for the somewhat novice questions; I'm a pretty new rider! Attached are some pictures of the front brake, from in front and behind the calipers, and one of the disk. I'm going camping for a few days but would appreciate any feedback y'all have. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
315 Posts
A couple things. First, it's pretty much consensus around here that factory Honda pads are better than EBC. However, that would not explain the rust on the caliper. If I'm looking at the pictures right, it looks like you have rust on the outside of the rotor, but not on the inside (tire side). That would tell me the caliper isn't working like it should and you aren't getting much, if any, pad pressure on the outside of the rotor. My guess would be either something is actually wrong with the caliper and the pistons are stuck, or the shop didn't lube the caliper pins and it's binding on those.
I'm sure others will be along with more knowledge than myself.

·
Super Moderator
64,003 Posts
There should be zero rust on a rotor. Not only will that account for the scraping noise, but it is also telling you something isn't right with the caliper.

·
Premium Member
8,164 Posts
Looking at the first picture, it looks like it's been sitting in the rain a couple of days. Rust happens:dontknow:

It's really hard to tell from your pics how much material is left on the brake pads, but from the view I can see, it doesn't look like much. I don't know, are you sure the shop replaced the front pads? I know it's a silly question, but you wouldn't believe some of the stories we get.

If you can, pull the calipers and verify there is nothing fouling the brake pad. Like a pebble or something.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Are you tooled up? Familiar with working on brakes? I ask because you say a shop did the work. There is an alignment procedure that must be followed when reinstalling the front wheel/axle. There is a grove machined into the left side of the axle, that groove should just be visible on the inboard side of the left fork foot.

·
Registered
12,247 Posts
Did the shop bleed the brakes or just push the pistons back in and put the pads.
The pistons may stick if they have trash on them
The brake fluid needs to be changed out every two years.
It can prevent the operation of the master cylinder.
Even the 1800 hydraulic clutch ueses DOT 4 fluid and has trouble with old fluid.
You have a lot of ridges on your rotor, I think you are metal to metal..
Some of the other brake pads have a very short life, beware..

·
Registered
477 Posts
Hey guys,

I'm a new VTX owner (06 R) and had a question for y'all. After having a reputable local shop put on some new tires and EBC brake pads, I noticed that the brakes were loader than before. After reading on some online forums it seemed like a lot of people were saying that some noise was normal, especially with EBC brake pads because they are grooved differently than OEM. Then I came across the thread about how maybe some measurements could be wrong which is making the front brake drag more than it should. (http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthr...r-Drag!-Must-Read!&highlight=front+brake+wear)

Now I am getting a scraping sound though when I am nearing the completion of my stop coming from the front brake pretty regularly. The brakes still stop pretty well but I can feel the scraping through the handlebars. The front pads only have about 6K miles on them. I was trying to visually check the pad wear on the fronts but can't seem to see the pads. Should I take the caliper off to check or should I be able to see the pads on the front? (I have no trouble seeing the pads on the back brake) There also seems to be some (rust?) on the disk, is this harmful? I apologize for the somewhat novice questions; I'm a pretty new rider! Attached are some pictures of the front brake, from in front and behind the calipers, and one of the disk. I'm going camping for a few days but would appreciate any feedback y'all have. Thanks!
Make sure that they centered the rotors in the calipers. It is very easy to have the rotors over to far one way or the other. If you look at the calipers from the front with a good flashlight you can see the rotors in the groove. The gap should be equal on both sides of the rotor. If it isn't that will cause the scraping. You will need to realign the front wheel in the forks by loosening the pinch bolts and axle bolt. Also make sure the spacers are correct but if they aren't I doubt that the wheel would even go on or the calipers won't slide on. I just put my front tire on my bike the other day and I had to recenter the wheel so the rotors would be central on the calipers. Let me know if I can help you more.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts