Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the bike apart to paint over the winter and when I put it back together again this spring I now have a low speed,low rpm vibratiion which goes away when I engage the front brakes tightly.
I took off both tires and cleared them hoping to keep the aluminum oxidation to a minimum for the time being. I used the forum to get the torque specs but I did make 1 , maybe serious, mistake. I took off all the rotors and when I put them back on I put the back on first and torqued it down to 29lbs and when i put the front on I also tried to torque it to 29 and the bolt broke off in the hub. I looked at the specs again and saw that the front rotors are torqued to only 14lbs. Lession learned the hard way. So I tried to get the bolt out by drilling into it and using an easyout and the easyout broke as I was trying to back it out. So I got pissed and put the rotor back on using only the remaining bolts to secure it. Now besides the vibration I noticed that that rotor is starting to glaze over so i'm going to do this weekend what I should have done and that is to keep on that bolt til I get it out. I'm going to replace the brakes. Now the questions; 1, because of the glazing over should I get the rotors cut, 2, suggestiions on how to get the bolt out and if I have too, can the bolt be drilled out and the hole made larger and then retapped with a slightly larger bolt?
any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
63,877 Posts
1. The rotor bolts are a "1 use/torque bolt" only. They should be replaced if taken off the wheel.
2. Take the wheel to a machine shop to get the bolt out, and decide if the hole can be saved. Tapping to a larger size might not work as the bolts are counter sunk into the rotor and the heads of the larger size may not fit.
3. Take the rotors to a Honda shop to make sure they are not warped and if they need to be cut. With one bolt missing that section of rotor could have warped.
4. Did you also install the front wheel as per the instructions in the service manual? There is a specific way to set the wheel into the forks properly. If done wrong the wheel would act like the rotors were warped.

I hope it goes well. 8)

·
Registered
9,181 Posts
Chicago-Spike said:
1. The rotor bolts are a "1 use/torque bolt" only. They should be replaced if taken off the wheel.
2. Take the wheel to a machine shop to get the bolt out, and decide if the hole can be saved. Tapping to a larger size might not work as the bolts are counter sunk into the rotor and the heads of the larger size may not fit.
3. Take the rotors to a Honda shop to make sure they are not warped and if they need to be cut. With one bolt missing that section of rotor could have warped.
4. Did you also install the front wheel as per the instructions in the service manual? There is a specific way to set the wheel into the forks properly. If done wrong the wheel would act like the rotors were warped.

I hope it goes well. 8)
Not much I can add to this. I have reused rotor bolts, but if you do you have to clean the threads with a wire brush and add some new loc-tite to them when you install them.
If you have to drill up in size look at helicoils to fix the hole. :wink:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got the front off the ground and spun the wheel and you can actually see where the rotor hits the brakes and guess what,, it's right at the broken bolt.
It almost looks as if the rotor would go back into alignment if I got the bolt back in. Wheel comes off tomorrow. I'll get the rotor cut just to be sure and i'll also replace all the bolts when I put it back together this time.

Thanks for the input.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts