Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can a fender for a 1800C be run an a 1800R (retro) with a 150 tire ??
The C runs a 120 or 130x18 tire,,,R runs a 150x17,, :dontknow:

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
The stock 1800C tire is a 130/70R18. I don't know if the stock C fender will fit with a 150 tire.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Im running a 140 on the front with no other fender mods and it barely fits. I doubt there would be enough room for a 150. Occasionally i can hear debris between the tire and fender.

·
Registered
54 Posts
it will be really close if it fits! Would there be enough clearance for rocks and debris to clear?
You will tear up your fender for sure if you pick up any type of decent size road debris. You can go to a 150 but you need to mod your fender to gain some extra clearence. Simple enough solution is to elongate the fender mounting holes.

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
Sounds to me like you want to mount a rear 18 inch tire on the front
of your bike, unless you have managed to get hold of a front
rim from a Retro or a Neo.

The Retro and Neo use a 17 inch rim which is a smaller diameter
than the 18 inch rim of the C and F models, but the big 17 inch tire
that the Retro and Neo have is bigger in overall diameter than
the 18 inch tire of the C and F models.

Here are some photos for comparison

First photo is stock C model rim and tire and C model fender

Second photo is stock Retro model rim and tire and Retro front fender
which is similar to the Neo front fender.

Third photo is a C model rim and tire under a Retro fender.
Note how the smaller C model rim and tire has plenty of room
under the Retro fender.
The Retro rim and tire will not have much room under the C model fender,
in fact, none at all.

If you are looking to improve the ground clearance under your frame,
adding the Retro rim and tire (and front fender) will gain you about 3/4 inch.
That is the height that the front axle is raised.

Another way is to swap out the stock Honda VTX1800 fork springs for
Progressive Suspensions fork springs. I have the GL1800 PS springs in my bike,
but it is easier to install the VTX PS springs.

A third way is to install G-man's internal fork extenders to lengthen the amount of
exposed fork slider.

A few forum members have increased their ground clearance by installing a
21 inch front rim and tire.

Extending the forks or replacing the front rim is almost a necessity after
installing raked trees on your bike. Especially if you are a heavyweight like me.

But no, my own bike does not have raked trees.
It is a C model VTX1800 with Retro fenders and Progressive Suspensions GL1800 forsksprings
and Cobra USA floorboards and Dyers saddlebags and trunk mounted on the
Hondaline Deluxe luggage rack.

·
Registered
377 Posts
man these are some goooood come backs, i thank everyone for their post, all i am trying to do is get away from tubes, i like tubless tires the best, i have a cast (tubless) back wheel 16" and only like the front 17" having the 1800 r set up, i thought about sealing my spoke wheels and may still do it, i bought the 3m sealant but have not used it yet, i have already changes the wife's bike to the cast 1800 r wheels and installed avons on them , and it made a big difference on the way hers rides and drives, had a chance to buy a 1800 c 18" front wheel and did not know how good it would look and handle and i knew some one here would know.....also if you can find a good tire for the c front wheel. the choice for the spoke tube tires kinda sucks, the cast r wheels have a real good choice just like the valkyrie, in fact they use the same tire and size on the vtx and valk......again thank everyone for this info, and if i can be of help to someone else just let me know..........don

Attachments

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
Coyote

Thanks for the last picture of the three since that's what I'm trying to do; simply swap out the front fender from my C to an R/S and keep the rim and tire. I can find the R fender sometimes but I understand that you need a bracket and longer bolts to put it on the C.

Where is the best place to find the bracket and bolts? Thanks

·
Mad Hatter
21,344 Posts
Thanks for the last picture of the three since that's what I'm trying to do; simply swap out the front fender from my C to an R/S and keep the rim and tire. I can find the R fender sometimes but I understand that you need a bracket and longer bolts to put it on the C.

Where is the best place to find the bracket and bolts? Thanks

If U are wanting to install a RETRO Ft fender on a :C: model, Yes U do need the RETRO Fender supports. U may be able to find them used or get them at our Sponser (DLP)

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
You could order the two chrome plated brackets from your dealer's
parts catalog microfiche. He could get them for you within a week,
I'll bet. You might be able to order a new fender from the dealer
already painted to match the color of your bike, if your bike is a color
that was used on both C models and Retro models, like mine is.
My bike is the metallic red.
The paint code for your bike is on a sticker on the frame under the
left painted side cover.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I've seen larger tires put on the front, with hardly no clearance, & when driven @ high speeds the tire will get taller and the fender will eat the tire up. (groves & chunks) so figure out a way to lift the finder up or the later may be the results...............

1 - 15 of 15 Posts