Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 1800 Retro (2005) with a recently installed fat tire kit. The bike has lost its retro look and I want to replace the front fender for now. Perhaps later, I'll replace the entire wheel.

My options are basically either get a Spartan or an Undertaker fender from XtremeRevolution and I am not crazy about either one but have seen plenty of custom Harley fenders that I would love to get. I am looking for a sportier look that is shorter and closer to the tire.

So my question is: is there a specific fender that can be put on a stock Retro front wheel/tire (150/80 17). Has anyone put a Harley front fender on their bike...? What is your experience and how much effort and adjustments did it take...?

It seems that this tire is somewhat of an odd size and most fenders are for 19" or 21" wheels... will I be forced to have to replace the wheel to get more fender options....?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I had the similar issues with the look of my bike. Not being a fan of a front fender yet wanting to keep the radiator protected I kept an eye on ebay and couldnt find anything. Whar I did find was a guy who makes them from scratch. Randy "Fender Bender" can make pretty much any fender you want out of metal.
His email is [email protected]
and his ebay user id is fenderbender777

He made a peaked front fender for me according to the specs I gave him. Ive got to take some pictures of the fender asap. Here is a quick photoshop to show basically what size it is. This summer I hope to have the rear done to match in a short style.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Here is what I did so that I could run a 160/60-18 on the front of my 1800F.

Although I started with a N front fender, you could do the same things with your R fender. I went to cutting on it until I was satisfied with the final product (some of that progress is also in this thread http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225763).

With the first fitting I wasn't satisfied with the cut N fender when I used N stays to mount it. IMO the fender sat too high off the tire/wheel.

So I cut the fender down even more and used my F stays instead to mount the fender. This looked a lot better to me and probably what I'll go with for now. As it is right now I've got about a 1/2" on each side of the 160/60-18 tire under the fender, so I guess I could go even a little wider (170? 180? :grin:), but I want to run this for awhile to see how it handles.

N fender cut down more with F mounts

Here's a couple more pics of the cut N fender installed on the bike.

FN fender with F mounts installed - left side

FN fender with F mounts installed - right side

·
Registered
824 Posts
I think the Spartan fender looks good IMO but that's just me. Why not go with a C or an F fender? Too much room under the fender?

·
Registered
266 Posts
I think the Spartan fender looks good IMO but that's just me. Why not go with a C or an F fender? Too much room under the fender?
I had a 140/70-18 Metz under my F front fender and it just barely spanned the tire. I don't think an F (or C) fender will work over a 150 tire, because the F fender is narrower and the mounting bolts are right at the fattest part of the tire (hope that makes sense).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
...Ive got to take some pictures of the fender asap.
I think I may need to get a whole new fender rather than modifying my existing retro one, simply because the retro fender is so large and I wouldn't be able to get it to "wrap/hug" the tire enough.

I may considering writing fenderbender777 for a custom fender. A couple of questions for RobDobbs:

1. Would you be able to share some pictures about what you received from fenderbender777?
  2. Is there anything you did that you would do different that you could share...?
Thanks!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just snapped a couple quick pictures, sorry for the bad lighting and such. Randy did exactly what I asked in making the fender. Ive got to do the finish and fit work but that was expected of course in a custom fab part. Hope to afford a matching rear fender this summer but thats going to be a whole new ballgame of custom fab with the mounts.

I wouldnt have done anything different. Randy and I spoke on the phone for a few minutes before he started on the fender to get the correct size. If all things were perfect, id have had the bike in front of him to work from yet we are states apart.

This is roughly where it will mount and yes it will be very low to the tire. Im going to grind the sharp edges down and maybe even cut the front to an angle. Wont be sure until I break out the tape and do patterns.

The welds are very damn good with just a smitten of spill over thats easily cleaned up. I got a "peaked" fender which I never recall seeing on a modern cruiser. Randy also sells ribbed and smooth fenders.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts