Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that my front forks were looking a bit ugly the other day.

Looks like clear coat might be wearing off from weather.

Input? Suggestions on how to restore without a big cost?

·
Registered
11,338 Posts
I googled "vtxoa: polishing front forks"
One of the results was this thread>> http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/7-vtx-1300-riders-board/164857-polishing-front-forks-help
200 grit to 2000 grit. 400 and up use wet paper.

I used 180 or so foam block and some 220 grit then 400 grit wet paper than Brown tripoli polishing compound
on my 1/3hp sears grinder. Not enough polishing done, but it looks so much better than the way it was.
Pix on the photobucket site beginning with this one.
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z350/hans1300/Forks%20shined/DSC06483.jpg

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I noticed that my front forks were looking a bit ugly the other day.

Looks like clear coat might be wearing off from weather.

Input? Suggestions on how to restore without a big cost?
The forks are clearcoated.
Wetsanding from 400 grit to 1000 grit gives good results.

·
Registered
40 Posts
When mine on my 04 1300c started doing the same thing i sanded them down and used high temp exhaust header paint and made them black... may not be the road you want to go with it but i believe it looked pretty awesome if i do say so myself! :thumbup:

·
Registered
124 Posts
When mine on my 04 1300c started doing the same thing i sanded them down and used high temp exhaust header paint and made them black... may not be the road you want to go with it but i believe it looked pretty awesome if i do say so myself! :thumbup:

That's an idea. I was thinking of powder coating mine black, but painting sounds much easier.

·
Registered
40 Posts
That's an idea. I was thinking of powder coating mine black, but painting sounds much easier.
Yea it was very easy! Threw the bike on a center stand, took the wheel, and fender off, then pulled the forks out, taped off the seals and up the inner fork tubes just to avoid dust from sanding getting on the tubes then over time getting through the seals and damaging the seals, took off the reflectors and what not, then put 3 coats of the black high temp header paint on them.

Wasn't too much of a gloss look, but it wasn't matte either. About right in the middle. I liked it much better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts