Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all I have a 07 VTX1300R and I noticed the front shocks seem like they are bottoming out
also seem to be sagging like there is not much travel wondering if adding more oil will help or are
the springs just finished
Thanks

Paul

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Hi all I have a 07 VTX1300R and I noticed the front shocks seem like they are bottoming out
also seem to be sagging like there is not much travel wondering if adding more oil will help or are
the springs just finished
Thanks

Paul
Replace with Progressive fork springs. I was bottoming out before, and love the ride after. It's <$100 in the US on Amazon, and takes a few minutes to install.

·
Registered
12,756 Posts
If you are on original oil there is a thick coating of oil and dust on the spring. Low on oil and the crap stinks. Remove forks, drain the old oil, clean springs. I used diesel fuel as my cleaner. I used ATF as my fork oil. Worked great for me. Right at 16oz per fork tube.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Replace with Progressive fork springs. I was bottoming out before, and love the ride after. It's <$100 in the US on Amazon, and takes a few minutes to install.
Hi there would you know the part number as the progressive sit says to use 11-1126 but Amazon said it wont fit my bike??
Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you are on original oil there is a thick coating of oil and dust on the spring. Low on oil and the crap stinks. Remove forks, drain the old oil, clean springs. I used diesel fuel as my cleaner. I used ATF as my fork oil. Worked great for me. Right at 16oz per fork tube.
Hello I did replace oil as I change the seals during the winter but did not fix anything never thought the springs could be bad thanks for the reply

Paul

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Hi there would you know the part number as the progressive sit says to use 11-1126 but Amazon said it wont fit my bike??
Thanks
That is what I used, yes, it said it wont fit the 1300, but it does. Here is the link to the item I ordered on Amazon $80, well worth it...

Amazon.com: Progressive Suspension 11-1126 18" Fork Spring: Automotive

This is a link to Progressive's site for the VTX 1300R/S/T. Note that Progressive has to sell it for more, they do that so that you buy from their authorized resellers. So it is the exact same product, and you will get the exact same warranty, just hold onto your receipt (one benefit to Amazon is I can always get my receipt, that's how I got the link for you back from 2018 when I got mine). Not that Amazon needs me to prove their benefits, I think by now they realized they have a winning combination.

Link to Progressive:
Fork Spring Kit | Progressive Suspension

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Hello I did replace oil as I change the seals during the winter but did not fix anything never thought the springs could be bad thanks for the reply

Paul
He has a good point, when I put my springs in, I added a cap full of fork oil to compensate for oil that was on the removed springs. So even if you don't do a full oil change, you might want to consider this. I added the exact same amount to both sides, one cap full.

My fork oil was very clean when I did it in 2018 on my 2009 1300R, the bike had 7k miles on it. If I was to do it now, I would do a full fork refresh.

This is the guide I used:
Honda VTX 1300 Front Fork Spring Replacement | Bareass Choppers Motorcycle Tech Pages

The hardest part (I did this job by myself) was aligning the fork cap back up while trying to thread it in, WITHOUT cross threading it. This is very important. If you do cross thread it, you may need new forks. If you can get someone to help you, have them push down on the socket/wrench, and you slowly rotate the cap.

It can be done by yourself, I did it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is what I used, yes, it said it wont fit the 1300, but it does. Here is the link to the item I ordered on Amazon $80, well worth it...

Amazon.com: Progressive Suspension 11-1126 18" Fork Spring: Automotive

This is a link to Progressive's site for the VTX 1300R/S/T. Note that Progressive has to sell it for more, they do that so that you buy from their authorized resellers. So it is the exact same product, and you will get the exact same warranty, just hold onto your receipt (one benefit to Amazon is I can always get my receipt, that's how I got the link for you back from 2018 when I got mine). Not that Amazon needs me to prove their benefits, I think by now they realized they have a winning combination.

Link to Progressive:
Fork Spring Kit | Progressive Suspension
Ok Great thank you

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He has a good point, when I put my springs in, I added a cap full of fork oil to compensate for oil that was on the removed springs. So even if you don't do a full oil change, you might want to consider this. I added the exact same amount to both sides, one cap full.

My fork oil was very clean when I did it in 2018 on my 2009 1300R, the bike had 7k miles on it. If I was to do it now, I would do a full fork refresh.

This is the guide I used:
Honda VTX 1300 Front Fork Spring Replacement | Bareass Choppers Motorcycle Tech Pages

The hardest part (I did this job by myself) was aligning the fork cap back up while trying to thread it in, WITHOUT cross threading it. This is very important. If you do cross thread it, you may need new forks. If you can get someone to help you, have them push down on the socket/wrench, and you slowly rotate the cap.

It can be done by yourself, I did it.
Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts