Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My front tire is in need of replacement but i noticed it is wearing more on one side than the other..... possible my fork needs changing? one fork softer than the other? vtx 1300c 2004 also what size socket and allen wrench do i need to remove tire?

·
Registered
751 Posts
I would bet that it is wearing more on the left side than the right.

There are a number of old threads on here about it. Actually it's normal wear. based on road crowning and a few other factors.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would bet that it is wearing more on the left side than the right.

There are a number of old threads on here about it. Actually it's normal wear. based on road crowning and a few other factors.
left if your sitting on the bike i believe is more worn.......??????? my dad sugested changing fork oil... so its normal just put my new tire on and it should be ok? when i put my rear tiire on front looked fine then all of a sudden my front was worn out on left side????

·
Registered
6,253 Posts
Will last longer if.
Do not run the tire pressure that is recommended in the manual.
Run 40 in front and 40 psi in rear.
If you run what the manual says you will go threw a set of tire in 7 to 9K miles.
If you run what I said above you can get over 18k miles out of it. The ride will be pretty much the same but less squirming in corners and better handling.

Donut/Doug

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
My Dunlops wore that way, I switched brands, but don't have enough miles on them to tell.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just changed my Dunlops and had the same "left side" wear on the front tire. Put a fresh set of Metzelers on and the sevice tech recommended 40/42psi. I can't remeber if he said 40 in front or 42...so I'll probably run 40 in both front and rear as Donut suggests.

·
Registered
797 Posts
1. follow dougs tire pressure suggestion
2. get a better tire when you replace the dunlops
3. ignore road crown mumbo jumbo

enjoy

·
Registered
12,797 Posts
This type of tire wear is very common on the VTX as well as many other bikes. As said, there are different theories as to why, but none proven to my knowledge.

The suggestion as to tire pressure 40/40 is a good one IMO. I doubt the brand has much to do with it, but there are some who believe it is a factor.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
my factory dunlops did the same thing 8000 miles was shot put metzlers on now have 20k and not worn like dunlops still 50% trad left

·
Old Goat
25,850 Posts
riddle me this

Ive got the orginal dunlop (140) sitting out in the garage with 12k on it even tread wear across it...next tire was another dunlop (110) got the left tread wear at about 6k....right now running a 110 pirelli and it seems to be doing fine....:popcorn: but as mentioned the tread wear seems to be the norm....good luck

40 psi....religously

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
i really think it's all due to the tire pressure you run. i have run 40-42 in my front tires since day one and have never had that problem.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Two year ago i read from a member to not forget to do the last part of the front wheel installation in the manual on section 13 at the top page 12

http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=69311&d=1333801909

Something i didn't do before .

How many of you do this part ?

I notice when i do it the left fork pop out ± 1/16 . Did it make sens if the right fork pull the left fork ?

Don't know how much mile i do from that time but i still cant see the diff btw the left and right side .

Attachments

·
Registered
195 Posts
That's some really good insight about the tires. When my X gets the hoops remounted, they will be pumped to 40 psi.

Jim

·
Super Moderator
64,122 Posts
Once the axle is in place and tight, the front forks act as one piece. One fork being softer will not make the tire wear uneven. Tire pressure is about the biggest cause of uneven tire wear. Keep them at 38-40 psi on both.
Read this for more;
http://www.rattlebars.com/tirewear/

·
Registered
6,253 Posts
All roads have to drain and they are not pored flat so all the time the bike wheel is never st a 90 degree with the road.
Take your car and let go of the wheel ant it will always drift to the right unless you are in the left lane and then it will drifted to the left.
You naturally will compensate for this when riding and that is why the front wheel wears on the left side. Now if you were riding in a country that drives on the oposit side the wheel will wear on the right side. This only makes common sense.
The only other thing that can cause the wheel to wear wrong is if the top of the tree is not sticking up threw equally ( one side of mine was off 1/8 of an inch until I corrected it. If it is off at the top it will definitely be off at the bottom. This is my theory and I'm sticking to it.

Donut/Doug

• :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Donut has spanked me for this comment before, but I just run 33 in the front and 36 in the rear because it is in the manual. I'm concerned about an overinflated tire because I'm afraid of loosing traction in a wet curve. For those of you that run 40, how do you like it? I might try it if it is better.

·
Super Moderator
64,122 Posts
I put the low pressure question to Dunlop at the Honda Homecoming and their reply to me was Honda recommends a low pressure for a smooth/soft ride. Dunlop said they would wear and ride much better at a higher 38 psi. The max for the OEM tire I believe is 42. So 38 isn't going to do anything bad for you. I noticed a much better ride in handling when I upped to 40 psi, rain didn't matter, OEM Dunlops sucked in rain.

·
Registered
180 Posts
All roads have to drain and they are not pored flat so all the time the bike wheel is never st a 90 degree with the road.
Take your car and let go of the wheel ant it will always drift to the right unless you are in the left lane and then it will drifted to the left.
You naturally will compensate for this when riding and that is why the front wheel wears on the left side. Now if you were riding in a country that drives on the oposit side the wheel will wear on the right side. This only makes common sense.
The only other thing that can cause the wheel to wear wrong is if the top of the tree is not sticking up threw equally ( one side of mine was off 1/8 of an inch until I corrected it. If it is off at the top it will definitely be off at the bottom. This is my theory and I'm sticking to it.

Donut/Doug

• :mrgreen:
I have heard slope of the road being attributed to the front tire wearing on the left side. I could buy that if the rear tire wore the same way.....I mean why would the front wear that way and not the rear as well?

·
Registered
12,797 Posts
I have heard slope of the road being attributed to the front tire wearing on the left side. I could buy that if the rear tire wore the same way.....I mean why would the front wear that way and not the rear as well?
LOL. This is the exact question why the crown excuse does not work. As said, there are theories but none proven and none totally credible.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts