Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there hope someone can help with my 2002 VTX 1800C. Was riding home when front bearing went out. It didnt give me much warning. I had about 3 minutes of a weird squeak and then it went to popping like the wheel was coming off. was close to the house at that point and rode it back in 2cd gear. With that said I replaced bearings with All Balls bearings. I all so cleaned up and lubed brake calipers while I had everything off. When I tried it out I could hear a buzzing noise from front wheel which sounds like it is from brakes. When I lean forward it almost sounds like buzzing is from front brake reservoir. It changes tone when brakes are applied no matter if it is back or front brakes applied. While cruising it does it all of the time. I understand this might be a pad issue but the front end feels different too.Say for example if you are doing 35 and trying to listen to the buzzing noise when using the clutch to let engine idle down. The front wheel feels and sounds like I am going over rough ass pavement. Never noticed this before the bearings went bad and now I am trying to figure out if this is all in my head. I have readjust alignment on wheel axle and left fork for brake drag. Hasnt made no noticeable change what so ever. Buddy of mine thinks the front tire is warped but it didnt ride like this before. Thanks for any info and help guys.

·
Registered
9,836 Posts
Welcome,

Did you install the tire/wheel correctly. it is possible to put the wheel/tire on backwards?
causing the tread on the tire to role the other direction. NOISE/Vibration.

rock the brake calipers (both) from side to side so the pads no longer contact the rotors and go for a slow ride without using the brakes. is the problem still there???

·
Registered
762 Posts
Could be the tire has taking a shape that was to maitain the bad alignment of the axle, now everything is through the tire is out of round.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tire is on for correct rotation will have to try the brake rock and get the pads off the rotor to see what happens. That is a good idea though. willing to try anything at this point.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could be the tire has taking a shape that was to maitain the bad alignment of the axle, now everything is through the tire is out of round.
That is what my buddy seems to think. The tire has plenty of tread but a 3/4 inch center flat ride line in it. but it also had that when i first got the bike. Then again maybe you are right from me have to take the wheel off and put it back on. things are out of whack because its not riding in the exact same sweet spot it had before.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
8 Posts
How is the axle?

I have an 1800r, that has acted like yours. I notice that I hear a pad rubbing at slow speed as I lean left and right. Had bearings replaced by dealer (never again), no change in the sound. I replaced the front tire a month ago and following the Bareass steps my forks were not aligned. Adjusted them so the axle would go in easily.

Thought that resolved the noise. But it came back. Now I am wondering about the axle. It has 58000 miles and I did see that it has some wear marks on the right side from a spun bearing. (I am owner number 3). It is not a lot of wear, but just a bit. That will be the next thing I look at, as well as a rebuild of my forks this winter.

So how does the axle look? I am wondering if the wear on the axle is just enough for my wheel to move and cause my noise as I do slow speed leans? And if that is somehow contributing to the rough road noise as well. I can't see that being the cause if the rough road noise, but I am working to rule out as much as I can.

When you bearing went was there any scoring or wear on the axle?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Do you wash this bike with a power washer ? There have not been any failures like this that I remember on the forum

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
+100! There is a collar between bearings! Was it installed at all?!
Collar between the bearings was installed. Now if it mattered on which end that collar was supposed to face. Who knows?? As for power washing i have never done that but who knows with previous owner. I have also wondered if i bought a bad set of bearings. Or ifsomething with the forks is messed up. It just feels alot rougher period

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well last night I read up on some different stuff with front wheel issues. Problem seems to be fixed now. I put the bike on the lift and loosened the axle bolt and all pinch boats. Then I tapped the axle back out just a bit and started over. Got the left fork aligned with mark on axle after tapping it back in. Then tightened the left pinch bolts and then torqued the axle bolt to 67lbs. After that I tightened the right pinch bolts and then loosened the left pinch bolts. Once those were loose I put the bike back down on the ground and jumped on it holding the front brake and bounced the front forks about 10 times and then tightened down the left pinch bolts. That fixed it thank god. LOL!!! It ride smooth and as for brake pad buzz. I can just barely even hear it and no change in buzz when applying the brakes. Not sure if I read this on this forum or the VTX Cafe but just wanted to say Thanks and let you know my issue is fixed. Thanks again. Now its time to RIDE :doorag:

·
Registered
9,005 Posts
Well last night I read up on some different stuff with front wheel issues. Problem seems to be fixed now. I put the bike on the lift and loosened the axle bolt and all pinch boats. Then I tapped the axle back out just a bit and started over. Got the left fork aligned with mark on axle after tapping it back in. Then tightened the left pinch bolts and then torqued the axle bolt to 67lbs. After that I tightened the right pinch bolts and then loosened the left pinch bolts. Once those were loose I put the bike back down on the ground and jumped on it holding the front brake and bounced the front forks about 10 times and then tightened down the left pinch bolts. That fixed it thank god. LOL!!! It ride smooth and as for brake pad buzz. I can just barely even hear it and no change in buzz when applying the brakes. Not sure if I read this on this forum or the VTX Cafe but just wanted to say Thanks and let you know my issue is fixed. Thanks again. Now its time to RIDE :doorag:
Glad you got it fixed...I believe all what you did is in Bare's write-up as Spike alluded too...but be followed to a T.

Bull

1 - 14 of 14 Posts