Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started getting a high pitched squeel from the front wheel the other day. Put the bike up on my PepsX stand and spun the wheel and heard it. Pulled the brake pads and spun it again and still heard it. So that eliminated rotor drag as the culprit. Took the wheel to the dealer to have the techs check the bearings. They are only a year old, but let's see what they say.

Dave

·
Super Moderator
64,333 Posts
Bearings too. I will guess that whomever put those bearings on(if it was you, I apologize in advance :wink: ) forgot to put the crush sleeve inside the wheels that fit between the bearings. This keeps the axle from pulling on the inside of the bearings. I know about this because it happened to me 8)

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was the bearings. And Larry, it was not I who installed the last set. I do not have a bearing press.

·
Super Moderator
64,333 Posts
OK, but did they have that crush sleeve in there? If they don't the new bearings will only do the same in a few hundred miles. It took me 2 sets of bearings in 2 months to finally figure that out. I got the Honda shop to pay for one set of them

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Larry,

Which part are you talking about? If it is #1 it was there.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Hey Ed this could be your problem???????

Not the brakes......???????

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
ISKIVT said:
Larry,

Yes #1 is the spacer Spike was refering to. Does the axle look good and smooth with no scores or gouges?

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
tros66 said:
Not the brakes......???????
I eliminated the brakes as a cause when I took off the pads and spun the wheel and still heard the noise.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bigdog 1 said:
ISKIVT said:
Larry,

Yes #1 is the spacer Spike was refering to. Does the axle look good and smooth with no scores or gouges?
The axel looks good. I heard the noise riding around town and went home put the bike on the stand and investigated. So I rode maybe 4 miles with the squeel.

Maybe I'm a scaredy cat, but it didn't sound right, so I wasn't taking chances.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
This mess below was caused by the idiot who owned the bike before me knocking the bearings out with a punch instead of the Honda tool made for removing them. Mine started out as a squeak and after pulling the bearings you could see the damage to the bearing seat which caused the bearing to not be straight. I have the wheel now at a machine shop and hopefully they can clean the mess up if not a new wheel and then it needs to be chromed. Some people have no business picking up tools :evil:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts