Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everything I can find on line states my 2003 VTX1800C should have a 4.49 gallon fuel tank. If I fill my bike when the light comes on (about 100 miles), it takes 2.6 to 3 gallons. I've never tried running it to naught. My gut tells me this is a 3.3 gallon tank. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Trust me, it's a 4.5 (actually just a scosh over). Strange your light is coming on that early. Mine comes on with 1 gal left (3.5 used) every time. I've unfortunately run it right to the fumes a couple times...so I am dead sure on this one. nojoke

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Trust me, it's a 4.5 (actually just a scosh over). Strange your light is coming on that early. Mine comes on with 1 gal left (3.5 used) every time. I've unfortunately run it right to the fumes a couple times...so I am dead sure on this one. nojoke
How many miles do you get to a tank, usually? My power commander is toast, and my bike burns rich, so I'm expecting low miles (high 30's) right now. I typically base fills on how many miles I've gone rather than idiot lights/etc, but don't know where this one will stop. Maybe I need to strap a gas can to the back and try it out.

·
Super Moderator
63,884 Posts
R models have a larger tank at 5.3 gallons, so you can't go by that.

To the original post, you are right in the "Normal" tank range for C models. 100 before the light is good range on the C tank. If you really want to know how far YOUR bike can go(every tank and fuel pump pick-up is different and this matters in MPG range ) you will have to run it dry. Have a car follow you on a ride with a gallon gas can and go out for a ride. Note when the light comes on and then when the engine stops. That's the only way to get a firm account of how far YOUR bike can go on a tank. :thumbup:

·
Registered
36 Posts
How many miles do you get to a tank, usually? My power commander is toast, and my bike burns rich, so I'm expecting low miles (high 30's) right now. I typically base fills on how many miles I've gone rather than idiot lights/etc, but don't know where this one will stop. Maybe I need to strap a gas can to the back and try it out.
I wouldn't recommend that. Running the tank all the way to the end sucks any debris that has settled into the bottom of your tank into the system, best to try to keep the tank filled. I try to fill my tank at or before 130 miles. I've gone 150 without running out. I think the time I ran her out (I was in unfamiliar territory in CA on a group ride) I was about 158ish miles. My mileage varies pretty greatly depending on conditions, and especially my wrist, but high 30's, sometimes low 40's is the norm for me.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Again, R model tanks = 5.3 gallons
C model tank = 4.5 gallons
So, if my tank DOES have a 4.5 gallon capacity, I'm filling it with about 1/3 left on a regular basis. If this is accurate, then I, in theory, have another 50 miles I could go, in a pinch. Sound right?

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
As Spike said, either have a follow car with gas or you take some with you. But you do have to run her empty to find out total capicity. Bad thing is on the milage and wrist, is you may get differing numbers on total milages depending on how hard you ride it (wrist) or not.

With the fuel filter and the screens to keep debris out of the fuel lines, running all the way to empty on a rare occasion or when doing this test isn't that bad a thing. These bikes fuel pumps aren't like auto fuel pumps in tanks where it can be a bad thing to always run your tank low and end up having a fuel pump finaly fail.

Tejas

·
Super Moderator
63,884 Posts
No, you have approx. 1 gallon left for reserve once the light comes on steady. Keep it at that and you'll never run out, 1 gallon left = @30 miles as a safe bet :thumbup:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks folks!

·
Registered
13,181 Posts
I wouldn't recommend that. Running the tank all the way to the end sucks any debris that has settled into the bottom of your tank into the system, best to try to keep the tank filled. I try to fill my tank at or before 130 miles. I've gone 150 without running out. I think the time I ran her out (I was in unfamiliar territory in CA on a group ride) I was about 158ish miles. My mileage varies pretty greatly depending on conditions, and especially my wrist, but high 30's, sometimes low 40's is the norm for me.
Umm- no. Fuel pickup is in the bottom of the tank. running it out of fuel will make no difference in what is picked up.
I have gone as far as 164 (GPS) miles on my 1800 C and it took just over 4.3 to fill. That was exceptional and don't do that often.
OP needs to REMOVE the PCIII ASAP if it is not working properly. Smell your oil and if 'gassy' CHANGE IT.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I've never run it dry, but have run with the light on for a while. Most I've done on one tank is 140 miles. That was in Canada so it was in liters. Don't remember how much I put in since I'm not sure what the conversion was.

I've never put in more than 3.5 gallons, and that's usualy running 10 miles or so with the light on. There's gas I'm just not going to get to in there.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Umm- no. Fuel pickup is in the bottom of the tank. running it out of fuel will make no difference in what is picked up.
I have gone as far as 164 (GPS) miles on my 1800 C and it took just over 4.3 to fill. That was exceptional and don't do that often.
OP needs to REMOVE the PCIII ASAP if it is not working properly. Smell your oil and if 'gassy' CHANGE IT.
The power commander was removed immediately - it caused the bike to not work at all. I've narrowed the problem down to a voltage regulator on the PCB, but I'm not about to try and change it. New units go for less than $300 on eBay.

·
Premium Member
7,404 Posts
I've never run it dry, but have run with the light on for a while. Most I've done on one tank is 140 miles. That was in Canada so it was in liters. Don't remember how much I put in since I'm not sure what the conversion was.

I've never put in more than 3.5 gallons, and that's usualy running 10 miles or so with the light on. There's gas I'm just not going to get to in there.
You can always go further on liters :mrgreen:

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

1 gallon is 3.79liters, or 4liters is 1.06 gallons.
Generally speaking if you assume a liter is approx 1 quart, you're close. Fudge the number by another 5% and you'll be bang on. Like 12 liters is 3 gallons + 5% is 3.15 gallons (it's actually 3.17 gallons, but the math is easier this way. Of course if you're like me and don't really give a tinkers fart as to 5%, just treat them like quarts.

·
Registered
529 Posts
If you do run empty just rock the bike back n forth as you drive, you can go quite a distance doing this!

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
I have an 03 VTX1800 C and my fuel light used to come on around 100 miles and I would put in about 2.6 to 3.0 gallons same as you. Then one day I was way out in the boonies and had to push it, when I finally found a gas station I put in 4.2 gallons so I know it holds at least that.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I have a 2003 1800C. Fuel light came on today around 120 miles per the trip set. I always reset the trip set at each fill up as a back up to the fuel light.

Just filled up with 3.796 gallons and had 142.8 miles on the trip set for this tank of gas. I am getting 37.61 mpg.

Bike is stock with Vance and Hines Big Shots, no power commander and did the pair valve removal and opened up the air box.

So I had .7 tenths of a gallon left which would have been about 20 more miles. So 150 per tank on a C is possible.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts