Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 2003 1800C. The bike had been sitting for awhile(over a year). I pulled the bike out, put in a fresh battery, checked other fluids such as oil and coolant, put gas in the tank and turned the key and started the bike. It started relatively easy. The bike ran kinda rough for about 30 seconds to a minute and then purred like a kitten. I revved the throttle several time and it responded well. I stopped and restarted the bike several times and then allowed to run for about 5 minutes. I then killed the engine and began cleaning up my mess with the intention of going for a ride after the clean up.

I started the bike up again to go on my ride. As I pulled from my drive-way I noticed the bike beginning to run rough. I thought that it was probably just from sitting and needed to be ran. I made it about half a mile to a stop sign where it died and would not restart. So I pushed it the 1/2 mile (uphill at that) back home and let it sit over night. Upon trying again today as I tried to start the bike I noticed fuel pouring from my exhaust. I disconnected the tank and removed 2 plugs and blew an enormous amount of fuel from both jugs. I replaced the plugs and with out reinstalling the tank I turned pressed the start button and the engine started briefly on the residual fuel in the combustion chamber.

I reinstalled the tank and tried to start the engine with the same problem as before, fuel began pouring from my exhaust and the engine would not start.

Any help here would be most appreciated. :confused:

Thanx

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Hi, I have a 2003 1800C. The bike had been sitting for awhile(over a year). I pulled the bike out, put in a fresh battery, checked other fluids such as oil and coolant, put gas in the tank and turned the key and started the bike. It started relatively easy. The bike ran kinda rough for about 30 seconds to a minute and then purred like a kitten. I revved the throttle several time and it responded well. I stopped and restarted the bike several times and then allowed to run for about 5 minutes. I then killed the engine and began cleaning up my mess with the intention of going for a ride after the clean up.

I started the bike up again to go on my ride. As I pulled from my drive-way I noticed the bike beginning to run rough. I thought that it was probably just from sitting and needed to be ran. I made it about half a mile to a stop sign where it died and would not restart. So I pushed it the 1/2 mile (uphill at that) back home and let it sit over night. Upon trying again today as I tried to start the bike I noticed fuel pouring from my exhaust. I disconnected the tank and removed 2 plugs and blew an enormous amount of fuel from both jugs. I replaced the plugs and with out reinstalling the tank I turned pressed the start button and the engine started briefly on the residual fuel in the combustion chamber.

I reinstalled the tank and tried to start the engine with the same problem as before, fuel began pouring from my exhaust and the engine would not start.

Any help here would be most appreciated. :confused:

Thanx
The fuel pressure regulator may be faulty or the return line to the tank is pinched. Check that the vacuum hose going to the FPR is dry and that it is in good condition. If you have an after market fuel processor, disconnect it and go back to the factory setup. Is the FI warning light giving you any codes?

·
Registered
13,182 Posts
AND CHANGE THE OIL BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING ELSE! Yes I was yelling Very important to get the diluted stuff out of the engine. And welcome to the board- hope we can be of help on this issue.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
AND CHANGE THE OIL BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING ELSE! Yes I was yelling Very important to get the diluted stuff out of the engine. And welcome to the board- hope we can be of help on this issue.
ABSOLUTELY agree with the above! This has been reported more than a few times here. It has almost always been a faulty FPR. To test the FPR remove the vacuum hose from it (bike assembled), if fuel comes out of the vacuum port it is toast. The gasoline has diluted your lube oil. DO NOT run the bike til you've repaired the problem and changed the oil.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
:agree:to all the above. Especially changing the oil and filter. Disconnect the fuel pump and pull a plug from each cylinder and turn the engine over to dry them out too. KEEP THE PLUG WIRES AWAY FROM THE PLUG HOLES.
The FPR has a check valve (disc) in it that sticks open and dumps fuel constantly. Yours is probably gummed up from sitting for a year. You can take it off and soak it in injector cleaner overnight to see if it frees it up, or replace it. They're not expensive, but it takes time to get one delivered. Dump the old fuel and put some injector cleaner in the fresh fuel.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses. I'm going to take your suggestions and check the FPR today. Take it off and soak it. Found one on ebay for 30 bucks and free shipping so I got it coming this way. I was planning on an oil and filter change anyway gonna do that today also. I'll post an update later.

Thanks again. :tools:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi folks, Checked the FPR today and it is most definitely fouled. Removed the vacuum line from it and turned the key and fuel shot out like a water hose. Got one on the way though. Maybe I'll get a chance to ride before I have to had back to Africa for work. Thanks for all the help. This is by far the best VTX forum on the web. :doorag:

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Hi folks, Checked the FPR today and it is most definitely fouled. Removed the vacuum line from it and turned the key and fuel shot out like a water hose. Got one on the way though. Maybe I'll get a chance to ride before I have to had back to Africa for work. Thanks for all the help. This is by far the best VTX forum on the web. :doorag:
Just a heads-up. If the FPR you are buying is a new unit there will most likely be a plastic plug in the hole that matches up to the fuel rail. This plug must be removed before installation. It's easy to overlook.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great news. I changed my fluids and installed the new fpr. The bike fired right up and has been running like a top. Thanx so much for the great info. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
8,562 Posts
:thumbup: :agree:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Great news. I changed my fluids and installed the new fpr. The bike fired right up and has been running like a top. Thanx so much for the great info. :mrgreen:
Glad you got your bike back up and running! Sucks to not be able to ride now that summer is here. This really is an awsome board with lots of very knowledgable people. Ride safe

:congrats:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts