Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had to pull my tank and take off the fuel pump on a 2002 1800C. Curious if anybody has replaced the fuel filter...any pitfalls? I'm also going to attempt Bare's fuel pick-up mod.

Bull

G

·
You will be money ahead to flush the old filter out and make sure to put it back on the same way it came off.

·
Registered
9,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
buett said:
You will be money ahead to flush the old filter out and make sure to put it back on the same way it came off.
That's an interesting idea...what do you recommend flushing with?

Bull

·
Registered
95 Posts
why replace the fuel filter?

what made you do this replacement of the FF?
were you getting poor gas mileage, or what?
now that it is changed, any noteable differences?

interesting....
kded4009

·
Registered
9,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: why replace the fuel filter?

kded4009 said:
what made you do this replacement of the FF?
were you getting poor gas mileage, or what?
now that it is changed, any noteable differences?

interesting....
kded4009
1) Had to do some tank work.

2) Decided to do Bare's mod

3) Since the fuel pump was out of the tank...and I have 20K+ on the bike...thought it might be a good idea

4) I have no mileage problem

Bull

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
There are three filters - two that can be cleaned - and one canister type that should be replaced outright as it is the ultra-fine particle filter.

Biggest pitfall is finding another one - order from HDL or dealership - around $50.00. I keep a spare because I had a problem in the past.

I used carb cleaner to clean the other two filters - one large particle and the other medium particle (sponge).

Other than that, the fuel filter (canister) replacement is pretty straightforward - just time-consuming.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Three Fuel Filter -- huh?

:shock:
I see and know what you mean by the difficulty of replacing the canister cartridge. It is located as one of the sum parts of the fuel pump in the 2003 1800c tank, page 5-100 of the manual, so you have to take out the fuel pump to get to it, :evil: But these other two filters, "whatcha talkin about willis?" :eek:

Are these it? the metallic brillo pad at the end of the fuel pump, and is there a sponge(bob) beyond that but prior to the canister? Where are these two others located, is what I'm asking.

And how do you clean these? is there a technique to your carb spraying method? I mean I hate to pull it apart and everything gets everywhere...it already seems lucy goosy :roll: to me.

thanks,
kded4009

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Yes - the "brillo pad" and the sponge are the two other filters - One for large particles and the sponge for the medium particles - before the fuel gets to the canister filter on the other side of the fuel pump. Apparently the pump can handle some trash, just not the bigger pieces. The canister filter is the last thing on the fuel arm pickup before the line exits the tank on the way to the throttle body.

I just spead the coils apart with my fingers (in a rubber glove) and sprayed liberally with B-12 Chemtool carb cleaner - then set in sun to dry out (dries very quickly). If you have access to one of those parts cleaner sinks, that would probably work also.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
I replaced my canister this past winter and was surprised how much crap was in it after 5 years. I tried blowing thru the new one and then did the old one. Alot of junk in there. Thought about trying to blow it out, but hey replacing once every 5 years aint a bad deal.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
coltergeist said:
Yes - the "brillo pad" and the sponge are the two other filters - One for large particles and the sponge for the medium particles - before the fuel gets to the canister filter on the other side of the fuel pump. Apparently the pump can handle some trash, just not the bigger pieces. The canister filter is the last thing on the fuel arm pickup before the line exits the tank on the way to the throttle body.

I just spead the coils apart with my fingers (in a rubber glove) and sprayed liberally with B-12 Chemtool carb cleaner - then set in sun to dry out (dries very quickly). If you have access to one of those parts cleaner sinks, that would probably work also.
I think the fuel line runs to the pressure regulator and then the injectors, which can clog up if the fuel has even fine particles in it.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Woot! said:
I replaced my canister this past winter and was surprised how much crap was in it after 5 years. I tried blowing thru the new one and then did the old one. Alot of junk in there. Thought about trying to blow it out, but hey replacing once every 5 years aint a bad deal.
FYI I'm sure there's a lot of junk in the old filter but, it's very hard to blow through a wet filter vs a dry one. Blowing the junk out would be difficult but, backwashing with gas might work? I haven't tried it cause the filter element gets impregnated with junk and doesn't want to let go of it. Might even damage the element and let junk through but, who knows?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Found a filter at the auto parts store that matches the stock except for an extra outlet fitting. Plugged the extra fitting, works fine for $8 at PEP boys.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
VTXBilly said:
Found a filter at the auto parts store that matches the stock except for an extra outlet fitting. Plugged the extra fitting, works fine for $8 at PEP boys.
Got a part #?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.