Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After doing some mods and add-ons (still stock engine, intake, exhaust, etc.) it started first time since fall instantly. After about 3 - 6 blocks FI light comes on steady. If I pull over turn off and restart its fine for 3 - 6 more blocks then FI light comes on steady and stays on. Seems to be running great. Any ideas???

Thank.
Bill

L

·
0 Posts
What mods did you do. It is usually the last thing you did. You might want to check the error codes to see what the ECU thinks is wrong.

Lonewolf

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
So far, the only time that my FI light ever came on, it was
because the battery bolts which connect the battery cables
had vibrated loose. You might want to
remove your seat and check the tightness of those bolts.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Bill, check your ground connections. This has been a problem in the past with some of the riders here. T-Bone.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
T-Bone said:
Bill, check your ground connections. This has been a problem in the past with some of the riders here. T-Bone.

T-bone, I did the ground fix, so I'm not sure what I could be missing in that regard. And would a ground behave this way, i.e., if it were a ground, wouldn't the light be on all the time? But, then again, it is something that's relatively straigtht forward to check.
Thanks.
Bill

·
Registered
441 Posts
BillF said:
T-Bone said:

T-bone, I did the ground fix, so I'm not sure what I could be missing in that regard. And would a ground behave this way, i.e., if it were a ground, wouldn't the light be on all the time? But, then again, it is something that's relatively straigtht forward to check.
Thanks.
Bill
Bill, check this post out. I think it may help.
http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=46726&highlight=fi

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
T-Bone said:
BillF said:
[quote="T-Bone":1oae6fjv]Bill, check your ground connections. This has been a problem in the past with some of the riders here. T-Bone.

Thanks.
Bill
Bill, check this post out. I think it may help.
http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=46726&highlight=fi[/quote:1oae6fjv]

Thanks T-Bone -- I'll check it out.
Bill

·
Registered
106 Posts
Bill, I read the post T-Bone sent (as I'm sure you did too). It makes me wonder if the problems are caused by bad grounding from the clips used to attach the mods. Also, re: the speedometer, is it plugged in all the way and do you need to do anything special to turn on the speedometer calibrator? Also, I suggest you post the mods done so the gurus here have a starting point...there was a lot of electrical stuff done and a lot of those "vampire" style clips used and if I read Ts post correctly, Xs don't respond to those well. Talk to ya later...let me know if ya need any more help. JB

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
JB40hz said:
Bill, I read the post T-Bone sent (as I'm sure you did too). It makes me wonder if the problems are caused by bad grounding from the clips used to attach the mods. Also, re: the speedometer, is it plugged in all the way and do you need to do anything special to turn on the speedometer calibrator? Also, I suggest you post the mods done so the gurus here have a starting point...there was a lot of electrical stuff done and a lot of those "vampire" style clips used and if I read Ts post correctly, Xs don't respond to those well. Talk to ya later...let me know if ya need any more help. JB
Hey Jay:

I read in svc manual something that leads me to believe that the FI light may be related to speedo calibrator install. So I'll have to check that later today. Sue I could probably use some help - or maybe even some company. I got stuff to do around here first, so I'm think mid-afternoon, give or take.
Thanks.
Bill

·
Registered
468 Posts
A similar thing happened to me on my second trip out, but I experienced missing and backfires which sync'd up with the FI light until it finally stayed on.

The bike stalled out and behaved as if the battery was dead for about 15 minutes.

It restarted and I was able to make it another 30 miles without incident. My bike still had last Fall's gas with stabilizer in it so I refilled the tank with fresh gas.

I haven't had any problems since, but I plan on rechecking the grounds one more time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts