Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have fuel leaking from my petcock, no matter what position it is in. Are there instructions anywhere for removing this and checking the diaphram and hoses? It is a slow leak and the part that bothers me the most is the constant fuel smell and having to clean the chrome parts under it constantly.

Also, if it is the diaphram.. where can I get one? I called the Honda dealership here and they said I could only order the whole unit as a whole..

One more edit.. It's an 04 1300C model..

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That was the first place I checked.. I did a search for that part number and it came up blank..

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I actually got a call last week about a recall on my 07 R, said that they had reports of the petcock leaking. I know yours is an 04, but not sure if you could call a dealer and see if your bike was covered under the recall or not. Not sure what the range of years is for the recall.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That may be an option, but I really want to ride soon.. I do not have a service manual and would like to take the petcock apart and check it for o-rings, etc.. How can I do this without spilling all of the fuel in my tank?

I also wanted to add that I haven't run the bike in 2 days now, and I did see it still dripping this morning... with the vacuum operated petcock, shouldn't it have stopped dripping already??

·
Registered
61 Posts
1800 is fuel injected.. no pet cock :beer3:

·
Registered
648 Posts
Rich,

My advice would be to siphon the gas out of the tank, and then remove the tank if you want to go that route.
Or just take the bike out on the road and burn off most of the fuel. Or just remove the petcock and have a big bucket to catch the fuel. :shock:

Is the petcock itself leaking or is it from lack of a good seal with the tank? If its the petcock, I'd just replace it, but consider dumping the fuel pump for simplicity of maintenance. Someone posted a while ago about doing this mod, I think they said it was straightforward.

best of luck. Just dig into it and before long you'll have her all set. :beer2:

·
Registered
295 Posts
Try grabbing the petcock with your hand and see if your can turn the whole thing. The petcock assembly is held on by a large nut under the tank that can sometimes work itself loose. If you can move or turn the petcock by hand then take the tank off and turn it over and hold it on our lap and tighten it with a wrench. It seals with a small "O-ring" on the tank and if you can move it by hand it will leak fuel. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
RichInLa said:
That may be an option, but I really want to ride soon.. I do not have a service manual and would like to take the petcock apart and check it for o-rings, etc.. How can I do this without spilling all of the fuel in my tank?

I also wanted to add that I haven't run the bike in 2 days now, and I did see it still dripping this morning... with the vacuum operated petcock, shouldn't it have stopped dripping already??
Drain the tank:
Remove both the fuel hose and the vacuum hose.
Run a scrap 3/8 line from the petcock to a large container.
Apply vacuum to the petcock, either with a mity-vac or simply mouth suction and pinch it off.
Turn the lever to reserve and let it drain.

Loosen the large nut at the petcock / tank connection.
Turn the petcock 180 degrees.
You can now remove the 4 screw holding the diaphram assembly.
Careful, there is a spring in there.
Pay attention to how it comes apart so you can put it back together.

As stated, make sure the large nut is simply not loose, may be as simple as that.

I just replaced the whole POS with a Pingle valve...no pesky vacuum/ diaphram to give me problems....and it's chrome. 8)

·
Registered
293 Posts
My 04 VTX was recently leaking fuel too. I followed the trail to the fuel shutoff and found it was working itself loose from the tank. I just tightened it by hand till I could get a wrench on it. Happy to say no more leaks. Hopefully your fix will be as easy as mine!

·
Old Goat
25,002 Posts
What is this Pingle of which you speak?

·
Registered
11,564 Posts
Assuming you cap the vacuum port on the carb end.
Once the vacuum petcock removed and Pingel installed , a screw or bolt will
plug the hose end that went to the petcock, or use a straight vacuum fitting
to connect the intake manifold to the ACO hose or run a single hose from
intake manifold to the ACO port.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Thanks Hans. You would have figured with all the carb rebuilding I did last week I'd have recollected the need to run from the carb to the intake manifold.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts