Honda VTX Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a 2008 VTX 1800n, and I only get to about 140 miles before my gas light comes on. That means i'm getting about 30 miles a gallon. Sounds like I'm under everyone else :/ I haven't had it serviced since buying it because the original owner kept very good records of what he had done. I'm hoping maybe a K&N Filter might help a bit...

·
Registered
886 Posts
The joy of riding a VTX 1800 is worth any amount of gas it takes. The VTX was not designed for saving on gas it was designed for riding. How much are you going to save on a 5+ gal. tank?
That's my take on it! As long as I can get more than 120 miles to a tank when I'm "traveling" TO the "fun" roads where I'll get less MPG, I'm happy.

I have a 2008 VTX 1800n, and I only get to about 140 miles before my gas light comes on. That means i'm getting about 30 miles a gallon. Sounds like I'm under everyone else :/ I haven't had it serviced since buying it because the original owner kept very good records of what he had done. I'm hoping maybe a K&N Filter might help a bit...
Is the 2008 N tank that much larger than my 2002 S?

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
....Is the 2008 N tank that much larger than my 2002 S?
Actually, it is! Your '02 is around 4.3-4.4 gallons (fuel pump inside the tank). The '08 N will hold 5.3 gallons with the newer flange-less tank and external fuel pump.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
All I need is for Guinness to be $2 a gallon & I'll be in Utopia!!!:wink2:
I don't think Guinness was that cheap even over there where they made it! >:)

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have 2008 VTX1800T and get about the same , around 150 till the light comes on . I service mine religiously - valve adjustments , throttle body syncs , synthetic oil changes etc. - it's my baby . Proton 4 intake and roadhouse 2 into 1 exhaust with modified baffle .
Guys that brag here how they get 45-50 m/gal must be riding like the bunch of old ladies :grin2: because if you rev it nicely in first and second and go over 65 on the interstate it sucks gas better than a vacuum cleaner ...
I actually get better gas mileage when I have old lady on the back , I guess thats because I have to behave :wink2:
150 to gas light by myself and 180 with the old lady and that says it all , baby it and you'll get much better fuel mileage , but what kind of fun is that !!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm lucky if I get to 100 miles before the light comes on! Stock setup with Road Krome pipes and K&N AF. Have had problems in the past with running rich and getting no fire in rear cylinder. Removed FI, cleaned it out, thought my problem was fixed. Getting good fire, but terrible mpgs.
I've also heard about fuel pumps that need to be pulled and angled down, as they leave 1/2 gallon of gas unused.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
I'm lucky if I get to 100 miles before the light comes on! Stock setup with Road Krome pipes and K&N AF. Have had problems in the past with running rich and getting no fire in rear cylinder. Removed FI, cleaned it out, thought my problem was fixed. Getting good fire, but terrible mpgs.
I've also heard about fuel pumps that need to be pulled and angled down, as they leave 1/2 gallon of gas unused.
Thoughts?
That won't help with mileage, only miles 'til the light comes on, and maybe a few extra ounces to the tank. Thinking about it, another 1/2 gal get's you another 15 miles.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Thoughts?
When you talk "x number of miles before the light", it's not the same as mpg. You mentioned angle of the fuel pump which leads me to believe you've got an earlier 1800 with the flanged tank and untenable pump. Those tanks hold far less than the later tanks and can easily explain why you would see 100 miles when others see 150 before the light comes on.

Sent from my... wait - No free advertising here!

·
Registered
474 Posts
When you talk "x number of miles before the light", it's not the same as mpg. You mentioned angle of the fuel pump which leads me to believe you've got an earlier 1800 with the flanged tank and untenable pump. Those tanks hold far less than the later tanks and can easily explain why you would see 100 miles when others see 150 before the light comes on.
Mine is a 2003 1800C & when I 1st got it from a guy who didn't know the meaning of "look after your 'bike" & it was around the 100 mile mark when the light came on, & I guesstimate I was getting around 35-38mpg.

I dumped everything it didn't need (rear seat & sissybar/backrest & rack assembly) & serviced it & greased whatever needed greasing & whatever didn't need greasing......A garage did the valve adjustment (23k on the clock) & I don't have a windshield or bags on it either.

I have had 45mpg from it on an easy run (50/60mph) & 40mpg doing freeway speeds up to 85mph.

I do not sit at the lights revving it up & only "occasionally" burn off wannabee dragsters from the lights.

PS, I do run my 200 rear tyre at 40psi & the front at 36psi.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Just filled 117 miles 2.5 gallons all 80% interstate at 65-75 mph.

·
Registered
87 Posts
You are correct. '03 Retro. Did not know that there was a change in tank style in later years. Thanks for the lesson!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Mine is a 2003 1800C & when I 1st got it from a guy who didn't know the meaning of "look after your 'bike" & it was around the 100 mile mark when the light came on, & I guesstimate I was getting around 35-38mpg.

I dumped everything it didn't need (rear seat & sissybar/backrest & rack assembly) & serviced it & greased whatever needed greasing & whatever didn't need greasing......A garage did the valve adjustment (23k on the clock) & I don't have a windshield or bags on it either.

I have had 45mpg from it on an easy run (50/60mph) & 40mpg doing freeway speeds up to 85mph.

I do not sit at the lights revving it up & only "occasionally" burn off wannabee dragsters from the lights.

PS, I do run my 200 rear tyre at 40psi & the front at 36psi.
I forgot to mention l weigh 190lbs & run the bike in top gear at any speeds over 50mph unless l'm on a steep incline or l'm in a hurry to get my speed up.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I'm playing while I can... of course gas prices will rise and then I will need to tighten up and ride more conservatively. Having too much fun with a bike that makes 80 feel like nothing. I keep getting the statement in my brain that I'm living the dream.

So, yesterday @ 134 on the OD, the low fuel light came on. I was in NOWHERE, Ms. and immediately began plotting where the nearest gas pump would be and slowed my arse down. At 150 on the OD, I filled up. I was worried that I was going to run out within 500 feet of the blasted pump and could see myself trying push that monster.

I knew at the get-go that with a 4.8 gallon tank on an 1800 cc bike, gassing up was going to be a continuous concern but seeing as I'm on a big thirsty bike, I strive to keep my rides every day within areas where I can pee, drink, and filler up.
If you had saddlebags, you could keep a small can of fuel in that, like I do. Then, you wouldn't have to worry about running out as much. >:)

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
I got 46 MPG with super premium just the other day.
Probably get even better with regular 87 octane

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Exactly! I'm about to put bags back on since I've had them off for the summer and will be sure to get a stainless container for some emergency gas. Thanks!
If you wanted to leave the bags off, there are some containers you can get that have a holder that mounts to the frame, which you could use instead. I considered that instead, but wanted to get highway pegs, and that might get in the way. Others have simply added an "extra" tank on a luggage rack on the back, and connected it up with the regular tank, but only install it when they're going on long trips where they might run out between stations.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just finished a 3000+ mile tour two up and pulling a 375 pound trailer and I averaged 26 to 29.5 mpg. I was able to fill up with non ethanol gas at two places and I noticed mileage increased to about 32 with the trailer. Without the trailer I don’t see but about 32 mpg on ethanol fuel. But then my K1200LT BMW only gets about 40 mpg. I try not to think about it too much.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts