Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put my 04 1300 up for most of the winter, rode a few times through the winter. Before it got cold it was running great, now I am having some issues out of it. It is having issues running when it's cold. Start to spi, sputter and cough. Now today it started to have a continuous popping and backfire until it got warm. I was thinking it might have some water in the tank because after running a tank of ethanol free fuel and some sea foam it ran great up until about 60 miles then went back to acting up again. So now I am lost. I have replaced the plugs and cleaned the air filter. Anyone have any thoughts?

·
Registered
92 Posts
There are evidently 2 fuel strainers on the 1300. One inside the tank, and one inside the fuel line to the carb. I would start by checking that both of those are completely clear. A carb clean never hurts, if you have the time. Just my 2 cents...hope it helps.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I had some similar problems on my 07r 1300 a few years ago. The diaphragm in the fuel petcock needed replaceing. Got the kit off eBay .honda part number 16953-KEA-023 .You can apply a vacume to the small line on it and fuel should flow out of the petcock . If it doesn't you need the kit .Also if the air fuel adjustment is set to lean she will pop some. Another thing to consider is have the valves ever been adjusted. Of course a gummed up carb will cause problems but I'd check fuel flow first. Filer in tank is large ,filter in carb inlet is tiny. There were some problems with wires breaking on ecm on top of battery and some have had battery cables loosen causing cut out.

·
Registered
680 Posts
After thinking it over, the air fuel mixture is probably to lean. They come set super lean . There is a screw on carb that adjusts it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had some similar problems on my 07r 1300 a few years ago. The diaphragm in the fuel petcock needed replaceing. Got the kit off eBay .honda part number 16953-KEA-023 .You can apply a vacume to the small line on it and fuel should flow out of the petcock . If it doesn't you need the kit .Also if the air fuel adjustment is set to lean she will pop some. Another thing to consider is have the valves ever been adjusted. Of course a gummed up carb will cause problems but I'd check fuel flow first. Filer in tank is large ,filter in carb inlet is tiny. There were some problems with wires breaking on ecm on top of battery and some have had battery cables loosen causing cut out.
After thinking it over, the air fuel mixture is probably to lean. They come set super lean . There is a screw on carb that adjusts it.
I am thinking the carb might be a little gunned up, because after riding for a bit and getting it hot it rides just fine until it cools back down again. I put new plugs in about 200 miles ago. I am going to pull them this week to see what they look like.
That should give me a good indication of lean or rich. Also probably going to pull the jets to give them a good cleaning and also see if the bike has ever been jetted. It has a open air filter and straight pipes. I bought it that was so old if the guy before me ever did anything else. If it isn't better I am probably going to buy a stage 2 or 3 jet kit for it, seeing as soon I would like to put a hyper charger on it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I got the car apart. It looks really clean. But going to get a rebuild kit amd jet kit tomorrow. It appears to have the factory jets in it. With straight pipes and a aftermarket air filter that might be an issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts