Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2009 VTX 1300 "R"
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so my 03 VTX 1800 "C" has a 4.7 gal tank, Reserve light is suppose to come with about .79 gls left in the tank, Twice now it has come on and I filled it it only took a little over 3 gls. Any one else have a reserve light that comes on early?

·
Registered
11,807 Posts
OK so my 03 VTX 1800 "C" has a 4.7 gal tank, Reserve light is suppose to come with about .79 gls left in the tank, Twice now it has come on and I filled it it only took a little over 3 gls. Any one else have a reserve light that comes on early?
If you don't trust, or want to rely on the light, mark your miles traveled. Fully fill the tank. Fill a safe gas-proof container, and somehow carry it with you. Run the bike until it dies from starvation. Check your miles, refill and get to a gas station. Adjust your riding accordingly.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Yes this is normal and I like it knowing I can still ride about 50 km before I run out of gas.
Or would you prefer a reserve light coming on when there are only 0.5 gls left in the tank? :D

·
Registered
13,885 Posts
Lower fuel pickup and/or lower fuel sensor aka thermistor.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
If you got a 4.7gal tank, you are one lucky duck. Most of us have only 3.5 gal tanks with 1/2 gal reserve which means you put only 3 gals in if the light comes on.
When my fuel light comes on and I have only 0.5gal left, that gives me 15 miles to get to a pump. I recently did that, got to a pump 15 miles after the light turned on and the bike died right there. Talk about lucky. :)
So I agree, have a procedure in place, count miles driven on the odometer or be ready to fill up right after the light comes on.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
If you got a 4.7gal tank, you are one lucky duck. Most of us have only 3.5 gal tanks with 1/2 gal reserve which means you put only 3 gals in if the light comes on.
When my fuel light comes on and I have only 0.5gal left, that gives me 15 miles to get to a pump. I recently did that, got to a pump 15 miles after the light turned on and the bike died right there. Talk about lucky. :)
So I agree, have a procedure in place, count miles driven on the odometer or be ready to fill up right after the light comes on.
I also have a C model but when my reserve light comes on there is still about one gallon left before running out of gas.

fuel light | Honda VTX Forum (vtxoa.com)

Reactions: Mduff

·
Super Moderator
64,576 Posts
2003 1800C has around a 4.4 gallon tank. Very short legs in other words. Best way to know is to fill up and go for a ride with a back-up car with a can of gas. Then when you see the light come on, keep track of the miles until the engine stops. There's how many miles you can ride on the yellow.

·
Registered
104 Posts
If you don't trust, or want to rely on the light, mark your miles traveled. Fully fill the tank. Fill a safe gas-proof container, and somehow carry it with you. Run the bike until it dies from starvation. Check your miles, refill and get to a gas station. Adjust your riding accordingly.
Bareasschoppers Fuel Pump Light Mod

Tim says:
December 22, 2011 at 9:54 AM
Great write-up, thanks! Also, just a thought on your comment about running the tank until empty after the mod and carrying around a spare jar of gas….This engine is fuel injected, so I wouldn’t recommend ever running it down to empty. Aside from fouling the injectors, it could also damage your fuel pump.

·
Registered
2002 vtx 1800c, stock exhaust and air intake
35 Posts
I finally tested my fuel capacity and reserve fuel last weekend. On my 02 C model I have exactly 4.5 gal of usable fuel and 34 miles of range once the light comes on doing 70 mph. I wasn't expecting that much reserve range. My total range to empty appears to be 160 miles which isn't terrible. Still has me wishing for the larger 5.3 gal tank though...

·
Premium Member
4,860 Posts
When my fuel light comes on and I have only 0.5gal left, that gives me 15 miles to get to a pump. I recently did that, got to a pump 15 miles after the light turned on and the bike died right there.
The first time this happened to me (2003 1800s) it scared the bejeebers out of me until I figured out that this will happen 1) during braking, 2) during braking while going downhill. Living in Colorado #2 happens a lot.
I realized that whatever little amount of fuel you have left will slosh to the front of the tank while braking, leaving the engine starved. Bike will start immediately again.
Knowing this, whenever I am a few miles on reserve I am extra careful with the amount of braking I do.

·
Registered
2009 VTX 1300 "R"
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lou VTX, the owners manual says it has a 4.7 gl tank. so I'm not lucky, that is what it came with. I don't like to run out of fuel, not good on the fuel pump. I have owned about 22 bikes and I always see how far I can go safely on tank of gas. I always stop as soon as the low fuel light comes on if not sooner. I always fill up before I park it at home so I'm ready to go next time.

·
Registered
11,807 Posts
Bareasschoppers Fuel Pump Light Mod

Tim says:
December 22, 2011 at 9:54 AM
Great write-up, thanks! Also, just a thought on your comment about running the tank until empty after the mod and carrying around a spare jar of gas….This engine is fuel injected, so I wouldn’t recommend ever running it down to empty. Aside from fouling the injectors, it could also damage your fuel pump.
And yet it sometimes happens. The few instances I have heard of this happening, and it happened at least once to my buddy Renegade Rick and his 'S', when his light burned out. Upon refilling there WERE no issues.

Reactions: a2rbnud

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Lou VTX, the owners manual says it has a 4.7 gl tank. so I'm not lucky, that is what it came with. I don't like to run out of fuel, not good on the fuel pump. I have owned about 22 bikes and I always see how far I can go safely on tank of gas. I always stop as soon as the low fuel light comes on if not sooner. I always fill up before I park it at home so I'm ready to go next time.
2003 VTX 1800C service manual says tank capacity: 17 liter=4.49 gal
And your vehicle details show you still have a 2009 VTX 1300R;)

·
Super Moderator
64,576 Posts
A 2003 C model does NOT have a 4.7 tank. As said above, they have a 4.4 gallon cell. This includes the reserve after the Low Fuel light comes on. So that puts the tank at around 3.7 gallons.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have a 2006 VTX1800C2 and it's fuel is as stated is 4.49 US gallons. I have DriverDiary app on phone and I use it on every vehicle I own. After every fill-up I put in Gallons, cost, and odometer reading and Zero my trip meter. I always see what my MPG is. MPG times 4.49 gives me when I will run out of gas. Only variable is how easy or hard I ride. Now I've gone as bad as 32 mpg, and as good as 44 mpg. Miles goes from 143 to 197 miles on a tank. My current average is 39-40 mpg. So as long as I fill up by 150-160 miles and I'm not hotriding it, I'm good.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I have a 2006 VTX1800C2 and it's fuel is as stated is 4.49 US gallons. I have DriverDiary app on phone and I use it on every vehicle I own. After every fill-up I put in Gallons, cost, and odometer reading and Zero my trip meter. I always see what my MPG is. MPG times 4.49 gives me when I will run out of gas. Only variable is how easy or hard I ride. Now I've gone as bad as 32 mpg, and as good as 44 mpg. Miles goes from 143 to 197 miles on a tank. My current average is 39-40 mpg. So as long as I fill up by 150-160 miles and I'm not hotriding it, I'm good.
The later 1800C versions like yours seem to have a larger tank capacity of 4.8 gallons: 2006 Honda VTX1800C- Specifications (hondanews.com)
And don't forget there is always an amount of 0.2 gallons in the bottom of the tank that can not be used.
So your calculation should be 4.8-0.2=4.6 gallons before you run out of gas but this is only true if you fill the tank in an upright position and not on the sidestand.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Have 2003, 1800 C with 82,000 miles. My fuel light seems to be somewhat intermittent and seems to vary but usually comes on at around 3 (faint)-3.5(brighter) gal to fill. Have to agree with the odometer setting method unless you drive exactly the same way and your plugs, air filter, tire inflation, etc. are in the exact same condition when you run it dry for some exact mileage determination. Bike usually lets me know in the 3.5 gal range by wanting to shut off when stopping. My mileage varies greatly depending on around town (always jumping on it) or highway (occasionally jumping on it). With my bike when my trip odometer gets around 90 mi, I start looking for fuel and know that if I've been solely highway driving on that tank I can price shop. Only had a close call once, on the skyline drive-North Blue ridge, on a Sunday (last station open on the Skyline), when I had to freewheel down towards Lynchburg from the Peaks of Otter. Otherwise the 90 mile start looking method has worked for me with my bike.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts