Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone remember a fuel tank mod that was being done a couple years ago? It added .9 gallons by cutting and welding an extra piece on the RH inside of the tank on an early C model. With the smog components removed it opens up some room there.

A guy in the Air Force from FL started a business but it didn't last. He was supposed to email me photos but he dissapeared before sending them.

I'm getting ready to grind and fill the seam on my tank so I thought this would be a good time to attempt this mod.

Winter mods in-progress: 1300 final polished, shortened rear Neo and front Undertaker fenders, seamless tank, 3" headlight extension and new paint.

·
Registered
16,088 Posts
The original guy who did that mod was 6ftmoose (sp?) from Bremerton, WA. The guy in Florida copied it after we directed him to pics and files of what my friend Tim did. The guy in FL is long gone now. If you're serious the only guy I would use is BD's Cycles. Send him a pm or give him a call and see if he wants to give it a try. You'll have to do some deep searching for any pics, and my friend who did Tim's tank a few years back just passed away late last year :oops:

But, there is another alternative. There are a few of us that did a late model tank swap which will yield more capacity. Just look in the VTXOA tach section ;)

·
Registered
8,562 Posts
The original guy who did that mod was 6ftmoose (sp?) from Bremerton, WA. The guy in Florida copied it after we directed him to pics and files of what my friend Tim did. The guy in FL is long gone now. If you're serious the only guy I would use is BD's Cycles. Send him a pm or give him a call and see if he wants to give it a try. You'll have to do some deep searching for any pics, and my friend who did Tim's tank a few years back just passed away late last year :oops:

But, there is another alternative. There are a few of us that did a late model tank swap which will yield more capacity. Just look in the VTXOA
tach section ;)
Now that's weird.....when I was reading the original post I was wondering if that was Tim, and then to read your post mentioning him made me smile. Small world.
I do keep in touch with Tim who now lives in AZ.

BTW it seems like a lot of expense/time just to get a small increase in volume.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Search

Thanks for the history on the mod. I did a search of SixFTmoose and found his post on page 19 but the photos did not come up.

"With the stock air cleaner gone there is a whole lot of extra space under the tank on the right side, Cut out the bottom of the tank and brought it in closer to the frame. Here are a couple of pics to show you."

I also emailed Bryan at BD's for any help.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
There was another mod posted , it was sometime last year. This guy split his tank down the middle and welded a patch to connect both sides , it made for a real wide tank , but it looked way cool. I can't remember his name. I will try a search to see if I can find it. Maby someone else can help.

·
co-sponsor
4,082 Posts

I just looked through all my pics and could not find the one of the gas tank we did. It was basically just like the one in these photos, the customer sent it to us with the cut already made and a new piece tacked into place, and we took it from there.....

·
Registered
16,088 Posts
Now that's weird.....when I was reading the original post I was wondering if that was Tim, and then to read your post mentioning him made me smile. Small world.
I do keep in touch with Tim who now lives in AZ.

BTW it seems like a lot of expense/time just to get a small increase in volume.
Yep, Tim was due to move for a new job down there. I believe he was going to work for the prison. He also has family down there. If you talk with him tell him I send my best and hope him and the girls are doing well. Last I knew they had 4 girls :shock: :yikes:

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the photos they are a great help.

My painter is also a welder so he will do the mod for $160. It needed welding anyway because after I ground the seam it separated on a four inch section. Will probably coat the inside of the tank to prevent corrosion.

Will post after photos.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Just my 2 cents here. I read a post about a couple of months back on the old forum where a guy cut the top of the tank out and added extra volum on the top side. That make a lot more sense to me than adding volume to the side and it more or less kept the same profile of the tank. The added capacity was about a gallon.

·
co-sponsor
4,082 Posts

Thanks for the photos they are a great help.

My painter is also a welder so he will do the mod for $160. It needed welding anyway because after I ground the seam it separated on a four inch section. Will probably coat the inside of the tank to prevent corrosion.

Will post after photos.
IMHO, you shouldn't have ground off the tank seam, and you will HAVE to seal it! Best of luck to you, there's been plenty of horror stories here on the OA about this sort of thing (non about us that I'm aware of, LOL!)

·
Registered
127 Posts
tank mods

Hi, I've had my tank altered underneath as in the pic's. and I also had the top altered and had a pop up cap welded in. all this did make the tank bigger I think but it now has a vented cap so I still can not fill it to the top as in the hot sun shine the fuel expands to much. but I still like the looks.I just filled in the seams with filler. the inside has been sealed and the underneath has also been coated as well.

cheers

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tank Seam

I guess filling the seam would have been the safest move. Now that it is gone I wonder if it would be a good idea to run the weld around the entire seam.

Interesting thought on adding volume on the top side. I'm guessing the plastic dash would have to go because it is already close to the speedo.

·
co-sponsor
4,082 Posts

I guess filling the seam would have been the safest move. Now that it is gone I wonder if it would be a good idea to run the weld around the entire seam.

Interesting thought on adding volume on the top side. I'm guessing the plastic dash would have to go because it is already close to the speedo.
Yes, that would not be a bad idea.

You really won't add much of anything as far as gas volume goes by doing a flush mount cap.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts