Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a small incident and have a decent sized dent on the left side of my fuel tank right ere the emblem is. (2003 1800C Model). For repair purposes I would like to be able to get to the inner side of the tank to beat the dent out a bit before bondo & paint. I have never had the fuel pump off which is housed on the left side within the tank. Does anyone know if I take the fuel pump out that would be able to then get to the inner wall of the tank to do this repair? Or will this portion of the tank for housing he fuel pump not enable me to do this task? I cant tell from the manual and cant find anything here after my search. Thanks in advance for any help ad stay safe out there M

·
Premium Member
8,394 Posts
I had a small incident and have a decent sized dent on the left side of my fuel tank right ere the emblem is. (2003 1800C Model). For repair purposes I would like to be able to get to the inner side of the tank to beat the dent out a bit before bondo & paint. I have never had the fuel pump off which is housed on the left side within the tank. Does anyone know if I take the fuel pump out that would be able to then get to the inner wall of the tank to do this repair? Or will this portion of the tank for housing he fuel pump not enable me to do this task? I cant tell from the manual and cant find anything here after my search. Thanks in advance for any help ad stay safe out there M
You should be able to get to the outside wall of the tank that way, I have no idea if you'll be able to reach it though, depends on exactly where and how deep the dent is. Be careful, these tanks are pretty thin.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great pic but that cut-away shows the inside of the right side. I see the fuel pump was removed and I would sure love to see a pic of what that looks like inside...that is the side I need to get to. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Great pic but that cut-away shows the inside of the right side. I see the fuel pump was removed and I would sure love to see a pic of what that looks like inside...that is the side I need to get to. Thanks.
The left side would look the same but with fuel pump showing

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@
The left side would look the same but with fuel pump showing
Thank you for your response...and I understand the fuel pump would be there on the side where the opening is...but..black to my original question...if I remove the fuel pump assy can I get to the inner wall of the tank on that side or is there something there that will prevent this. I'm trying to get to the inner portion of the tank to push it out some for repair.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
@

Thank you for your response...and I understand the fuel pump would be there on the side where the opening is...but..black to my original question...if I remove the fuel pump assy can I get to the inner wall of the tank on that side or is there something there that will prevent this. I'm trying to get to the inner portion of the tank to push it out some for repair.
Yes you should be able to get at it.

mine has dent on other side and I will have to use music instrument repair tool to get to it.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
Forgive my asking. Would it be possible, to cap off all openings, and slowly pressurize the tank to pop out the dent, or at least pressurize it to make it easier for a suction device to pull it out?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I went ahead and took the fuel pump off. I really didn't want to break the seal and put it back on but it was needed to fix the tank. Once removed, it was easy to get to the inner wall on that left side. Now the body shop can push the dent out some so too much bonds does not need to be put on to fix it. Getting the tank and front defender fixed/painted for $250. The tank alone for this bike...without fuel pump at the dealer is almost $2800!!! See now why I wanted to fix the dang thing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts