Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what the reason is that we shut off the fuel line when we are not running the bikes. I just never knew the answer and I know all of you are the best source for answers like this.

THROTTLE UP-PEDRO

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
On some bikes - if you didn't turn it off and the carb float gets stuck the gas will just keep flowing and run all over your bike.
Our bikes have a diaphram at the petcock that keeps the gas from flowing unless the bike is running, so it's really not necessary to turn it off.
It is still good practice though, as you will always be sure it's on and not running on reserve.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
pedropedro said:
I was wondering what the reason is that we shut off the fuel line when we are not running the bikes. I just never knew the answer and I know all of you are the best source for answers like this.
THROTTLE UP-PEDRO
It's just an Old School habit at this point.
Before there were vacuum actuated petcocks. A stuck carbuerator float valve and failure to turn the petcock off. Would result in all the fuel in the tank ending up on the floor. So as a matter of habit, we automatically turned off the fuel. I still do to this day... my dirt bikes don't have vacuum petcocks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice to know the reason. I figured it was something that came from the early years, just didn't know why. I always have done it on all my bikes and always will. Its just another ritual that is one of cyclings charms.

THROTTLE UP-PEDRO

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.