Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Adding to the "Fury vs. ______" threads.

Just ran the $$$ number this morning and ironically it came in very close to what people are currently paying for Furys. Granted I purchased my bike used so it's not a fair fight but is't a fight none the less:)

Purchased 2007 VTX-1300c (first registered in 3/08 ) with 778 miles on the clock for $7,000. It came with Cobra Speedster Slashdowns.

Added a few things:
RC Components Venom Wheels (front 21x3.5, rear 18x8.5)
240 rear tire & 21" front tire
Sumo-X tubular Swingarm
KewlMetal Pro Street Rake Kit w/ full length fork covers
Ultima Headlight
Xtreme Revolutions Phat Digger Rear Fender
LA Choppers BFL2 Handlebars w/ chopper rake
Jardine Billet Grips and Footpegs
Spiked Passenger Footpegs
Corbra Speedsters Slashdowns w/ Quite-core baffles
Kuryakyn Pro-Series Hypercharger
Kuryakyn Chrome engine covers
Kuryakyn small Sliver Bullets Front & Rear
Show Chrome Frame covers
Stumpwerx Dust Ring
Removed Seams from gas tank and repainted

Total for mods = ~$8,000

Re-sold stock parts removed from the bike = ~$1,700

Total = $13,300

*These are old pics so not all the mods are in them but you get the idea.

·
Registered
328 Posts
The only problem is that you are comparing a pro street to a chopper.

I have been running the numbers through my head, and I believe you can build a used 1300 or 1800 to look like a chopper for simialr money to the Fury. The big difference is while you are raking the frame, mold the welds and make everything cleaner than the stock frame. Plus you can get any wheel combination you want for a more unique look.

Dr Xtreme

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"Chopper" is so loosely use today the formal dictionary definition according to Webster is "a customized motorcycle".

What is your definition of a chopper? Moving the neck? Mine is relocated about 1" forward and 1" up with the KMPS kit. Longer Fork legs? Mine are 5" over stock and longer than the Fury. Long wheelbase? Mine is longer than the Fury. Rake? Mine has more than the Fury.

Not really trying to start a fight on what is a chopper. Just wanted to show people what I ACTUALLY built for the cost of a Fury.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Didn't see you factor in labor, so I'm assuming you did all the work yourself?

Not everyone has the tools or knowledge to do everything done to your bike. In this case, the labor costs will add quite a bit to the total.

·
Registered
14,249 Posts
Didn't see you factor in labor, so I'm assuming you did all the work yourself?

Not everyone has the tools or knowledge to do everything done to your bike. In this case, the labor costs will add quite a bit to the total.
I have to agree totally. In addition, you still don't have a softtail or EFI. Not that you want it maybe, but it is part of the cost.

The Fury is what it is. And it is quite different from the X.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have to agree totally. In addition, you still don't have a softtail or EFI. Not that you want it maybe, but it is part of the cost.

Yes all labor (outside of paint) was done my yours truly. That was the whole fun part about it for me as it more of a hobby for me than work.

Softail can be done on my bike and probably will in the future but it's good for now. EFI? I've owned both EFI bikes and Carb bikes and on a cruiser I honestly perfer the Carb. It's doesn't require a Powercommander to tune and runs smoother to me.

All you guys are pointing out what my bike does not have over the Fury, not what my bike has over the Fury at the same cost. Billet Wheels? 240? 45* Rake? Fat Forks? Ton's more billet pieces and chrome?

The Fury is a nice bike but there are some things I don't like about it. Gas tank is why too small both is size and capacity. I don't like the square edge front fender or the shape of rear. I don't really like idea for "trying" to hide the final drive, to me it makes it more ugly then anything. What I do like is the lower fork legs, left side front brake, better looking wheels, and smaller headlight. In other words the Fury has decent "bones" but I would end up spending a least $3k above the sticker price to get where I would want it at.

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
The Fury is a nice bike but there are some things I don't like about it.

In other words the Fury has decent "bones" but I would end up spending a least $3k above the sticker price to get where I would want it at.
That's why you built your own, to get everything the way you want. :thumbup:

Many folks will be equally happy with the fury with only very minor mods as you are with your ride. They will end up with a knock out bike for a little over 13k. :thumbup:

It's all good.

BTW- your bike looks GREAT!! Good work. :congrats:

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Many folks will be equally happy with the fury with only very minor mods as you are with your ride. They will end up with a knock out bike for a little over
Totally agree. The purpose of my post was to show people what can be done with the same amount of money as the Fury as another option for some. Total build was done with run of the mill 200-piece Craftsman type tool kit with the exception of the swingarm castle socket special tool. Everything was 100% bolt-on, the only things I had to fab was a headlight mount and modifying the 1800c seat to fit. I'm sure in a year or two Fury's are going to be a dine a dozen and cheap like VTX's, but that's a year or two from now.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
What is your definition of a chopper?
Without a doubt, long forks. Don't ask me why. I grew up in Illinois, and I am 44 years old. When someone shouted "look at that chopper", it always had long forks. It had nothing to do with chooping things off a bike, although as an adult, and watching TV & reading magazines, I know that is where the term came from.

Herb

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
I like your bike better; its got better parts and I think it looks more custom than the Fury. Of cours,e labor would add another $5K or so to the price since I can't do it myself.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Whatever you want to call it, I personally prefer the pro-street look to the 'chopper' look, which looks like every piece of iron to come out of OCC. The OP's is easily the nicest looking 1300 I've seen. The way the 1300's rad is tucked into the frame, I think it looks better than the 1800 pro-streets. Maybe it comes out to the same money you'd spend on a Fury, but you're not likely to see another one like it anywhere.

Awesome job, bro ... :thumbup:

Got any pics from the 'business' side???

ed

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I like your bike better; its got better parts and I think it looks more custom than the Fury. Of cours,e labor would add another $5K or so to the price since I can't do it myself.
It looks harder then it really is, everything is basically bolt-on on my bike. If I paid someone to do all the work I wouldn't pay them over $2K to do everything I did and that's being very generous. If I had the experience I have now with the VTX it probably would only take me 3 8hr days to get it done. At $60/hr that would be about ~$1500. But if you want to pay me $5K:) Hell I would sell my bike for $18K in a heartbeat:)

·
Registered
82 Posts
In my opinion, the fury is a nice looking bike. But like many there are some things I do not like about it. DumbComputers, your bike is probably the nicest looking X I have seen. You did a great job!!!!

We all have done mods to our bikes, some for looks, some for practicality. But that it what makes it great. I am sure that even though I have a black 1300, there is not one other one like it. And that is why I love it.

Bama

·
Registered
321 Posts
I agree.. you can find a used 1300 for about $4-5,000 add about anoth 6000 for wheels fenders and paint and other add ons and you have your seelf a good lookin scoot.. that doesn't look like the guy next to you. even if its another X

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I agree.. you can find a used 1300 for about $4-5,000 add about anoth 6000 for wheels fenders and paint and other add ons and you have your seelf a good lookin scoot.. that doesn't look like the guy next to you. even if its another X
DAMN SEXY!!!

·
Registered
14,249 Posts
Totally agree. The purpose of my post was to show people what can be done with the same amount of money as the Fury as another option for some. Total build was done with run of the mill 200-piece Craftsman type tool kit with the exception of the swingarm castle socket special tool. Everything was 100% bolt-on, the only things I had to fab was a headlight mount and modifying the 1800c seat to fit. I'm sure in a year or two Fury's are going to be a dine a dozen and cheap like VTX's, but that's a year or two from now.

That's kinda what I was saying with my post. I think you just misunderstood me.

·
Registered
321 Posts
That's kinda what I was saying with my post. I think you just misunderstood me.
agreed it all depends on what the person is looking for and if you have the means to do what you want.. I think the fury is good looking scoot.. but I would still do things to make it my own.. so it would just more expensive for me.. LOL

1 - 20 of 47 Posts