Honda VTX Forum banner

Fuse Box / Relays?

4K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  smokindawg 
#1 ·
Installing 4 amplified speakers, and the amp on an '04 1300 C. Should I just tap into a fused circuit, or install a relay? If I need a relay, can someone please point me in the right direction? Thanks ?

#2 ·
I think it is going to depend on how much power the speakers are pulling.

#3 ·
Unless you have already used it, there is an AUX circuit in the headlight. Another way is to just install an in-line fuse and come straight off the battery. No Relay required.

#4 ·
The "Opt" circuit in the headlight isn't a good idea as it is a shared 10A circuit, you'll blow the fuse and lose other things at the same time. I wouldn't put it on any existing wiring as it all goes through the key switch wiring and that tends to be a bit weak. You could go straight fused off the battery if you don't care about it being hot all the time, or go through a relay straight off the battery if you prefer only having power when the bike key is on. The tail light circuit would be a good wire to trigger the relay when key is turned on.

Reactions: RedWing
#5 ·
Hey Redwing,
Im just now installing the 2 speaker amp system. Seems to be the popular vote to use the Blue/White wire from the headlight bucket for the trigger, but what Im doing is from the battery into the inline fuse supplied, then into a relay, then Im going into a switch on the handle bars so I can turn it on and off while driving. (I dont want it powered when the bike is off), so when the key is on and headlight is on you have power to the amp.
Alot of links lead to rattlebars.com explaining the wire setup.

Jeff

#6 · (Edited)
Installing 4 amplified speakers, and the amp on an '04 1300 C. Should I just tap into a fused circuit, or install a relay? If I need a relay, can someone please point me in the right direction? Thanks ��
What is the fuse size on the system you want to install?
Optional fog light connector is on the speedo/tail light/running light circuit setup for two 25 watt halogen lamps.
If you do not have aux driving/fog lights you can use those 4 amps.
There are a few relay/fuse boards in use by VTX owners where the trigger for the relay would come from the speedo/tail light circuit.
Search for motorcycle relay fuse boards or similar.

Vegas_vtx--I would not use the Bu/W headlight power lead as a trigger for the relay. Headlight is critical, the less you mess with it the better. It already is a weak link from the headlight current going through it. Some use it to trigger the aux driving/fog relay, important when using halogen lamps.

Example of a fused relay blocks, requires external fuse on the +12v wire from the battery.
http://www.fuzeblocks.com/
http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Wiring_Kits/Fuseboxes/PC-8/pc-html

Reactions: RedWing
#7 ·
Over on the "other site"... there is a thread on adding a fuse panel behind the left side-cover. It is a mod that many have done.
Search-
Power Distribution Block Mod

When I did mine, I added a relay to (3) of the fuses... so they only are hot when the key is on. My relay is under the seat.

The fuse block mounts to the tool box cover- and there is lots of room to still open the tool box.

Attachments

#9 ·
I installed a power distro mod too, but I think I like this one more! It looks much simpler and easier than what I did. I wish I had seen this one before I did mine!

#11 ·
Your correct. If you run all the power thru the relay it will also cut power too the memory. You could however run just that wire to the hot side of the relay and run the rest thru so the relay shuts them off. The memory doesn't use much so this should work.

The fuse block you are showing looks like the one I used on my bike. I mounted mine under the left side cover and it worked fine. I did also install a fuse between the fuse block and the battery as a safety for the entire system. (Although it may not have been needed.

I'd have to look but think I bought 5 wire relays for my wiring needs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.