Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some one told me that ethynol will burn faster than regular gasolone and now gas stations are not required to let you know if it is in their gas .I have even been told it will reduce your milage by as much as 29 % any truth to this ?
Lisa

·
Registered
828 Posts
Maybe a little. In South Dakota, only one of the three usual grades offered have any 'corn-squeezins' in them. I've been using 'Akahol' gas in my 650 Burgman lately, and although I've heard that theoretically it should get less fuel mileage than regular unleaded, I seem to still fill it at about the same number of miles on the odo. It may depend a lot on the particular bike too, but 29% sounds a bit wacky as a general statement.

·
Registered
10,672 Posts
I think if they don't advertise it, but its in there the most they can put in it 10% ethanol. Minnesota has had 10% in all the gas for years and I don't notice any difference between ethanol and non ethanol gas. :wink:

·
Registered
343 Posts
Ethanol produces less energy (about 20%) than the same volume of gas. We still have a choice in my part of Tennessee whether we buy fuel containing Ethanol or not, and every vehicle I own looses mileage with it. My VTX 1800 looses the most mileage at 25% (30 vs 40) and my Chevy pickup the least. (2MPG) Since it takes almost 2 gallons of fuel to produce 1 gallon of Ethanol and it's less efficent, I can't see ANY benefit to it's use! Seems to me this is just another enviro idiot scheme that's leading our nation down the path to total ruin. A MUCH better solution to our fuel and enviromental problems would be ONE grade and blend of fuel nationwide. We now have 3 different grades of gasoline AND more than 40 different blends PER GRADE mandated nationwide by EPA!!! Changing to a single grade and blend of gasoline would allow our vehicles be optimized to run on it instead of the compromize in build and tune required to run the insane number of blends required nationwide at the present time. The results of such a move would be much better fuel economy, less emissions, and MUCH lower gas prices. Seems like a win-win for everybody except the enviro idiots that want to destroy our country!

Just MY $.02
Houndog

·
Super Moderator
64,337 Posts
No, I believe stations ARE required to let you know if it is a 10% blend. Stations really have to announce if the blend is that new E85 which is 85% ethanol because that stuff can't be used in vehicles that aren't set up to run it. Here in the midwest, that is about the only choice for fuel, a 10% blend and it says this right on the pump.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts