Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:cry: Is everyone only able to use 3.5 gal. of gas in their tank.... I run out of gas and when I fill up it only take 3.5 gal. My service manager say that this is normal...Normal out of gas is that the tank is empty....He gets 92 miles on a tank which is about what I getting......I think HONDA should come up with a fix that allows all the gas in the tank to be utilzed....

·
Super Moderator
63,774 Posts
When you say "Run out of gas" do you really mean the low fuel light comes on? It does typically come on with .8 to 1 gallon left in the tank as a reserve. It comes on this early to let you know you have about a gallon of fuel left to find a station. Since there is no reserve petcock to turn this light comes on to warn you. My C low fuel light comes on at about 100-110 miles now at 15,000 miles. If your bike has less than 2,000 or so that is about right at 92, it will get better as the engine gets more miles on it. 8)

·
Super Moderator
63,774 Posts
Welcome to the board!
Bookmark this website, http://tech.vtxoa.com This is the sister site to this message board and contains all your How-to/Tips/Tricks/Why’s and links to other helpful sites for your new VTX.
There is also a helpful red Search icon at the top of every page(not the Google search). Enter your item to be searched in the "Search Query" section and click the "Search for all terms" bullet under the query. Then go to the "Search Options" section and choose a board from the "Forum" drop down menu. This will limit the results to your search so you won't get pages of "Fluff" .

The pupose of the "Search" is to offer a member the opportunity to research his/her question better. There is so much information from past threads that you may never see because that member is no longer here, or doesn't see your new post, or just won't respond to the same question. So use it to your advantage and enjoy the board! View this funny and informative film about posting and searching…
http://uploads.ungrounded.net/188000/188612_Posting.swf

Also, take a few minutes to familiarize yourself with the forum. At the top of every board there are threads that are tagged as "Sticky" These threads are "Sticky" because they contain very important/valuable information about the VTX and everyone should read them.
The thread at the top of the 1800 tech board called, "Air, Fuel, Motors..." will answer most of the performance questions...
http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28918

Also, update your Profile to include what type X you have to your Signature line. I.E. 1300/1800/C/F/N/R/S.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My low fuel light comes on even earlier 60-80 miles and then I run out of gas at 80+ miles... When I fill up the tank take 3.3-3.5 gals.....

·
Super Moderator
63,774 Posts
Then, that is not right. The light shoud not come on until you have a gallon left in the 4.5 tank. Like I said, my light comes on at 100-110 miles with another 25-35 miles left in "reserve". A few bikes have had this problem and the fuel pick-up was replaced. 8)

·
Registered
518 Posts
Wasn't there a difference in capacity and range from the C to the R / S / N? I thought the others had bigger tanks than the C.

On my 1800C my light comes on at about 100 miles (6k miles on it) and I can fit about 2.5 gallons back in it at that point if I run it all the way down I get another 30 or so miles out of it and fit 3.5 in.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hi 2Sun, I have the 1800c with the 4.5 gallon tank. When I would run out of gas (on purpose), the tank would only take about 3.5 gallons too. So IMO the light is coming on at about the "normal" time, but your miles per gallon of gas seems very low (mid twenties mpg). As Spike said the mileage does improve with added mileage. When I had about 1,000 miles on the bike I was getting about 32 mpg, by the time the bike turned 2,500 miles, I was getting between 36 - 40 mpg. Twisting the throttle hard will take a toll on your mileage. Also, a bunch of people fill the bike when it is not leaning over, to get more gas into the tank. I complained to Honda, but they said it was normal. Finally, I did the mod to lower the fuel pick up in the tank, but it didn't help that much. Instead of having about a gallon left in the tank when it was out of gas, now there is about 0.7 gallon left. It didn't change when the idiot light comes on, just can go a little further (10 - 15 miles).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts