Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I rode the bike all day today. At the end of the ride, filled up with gas and parked it in the garage. Went out about 2 hours later to add fuel stabilizer to tank, when I opened gas tank about a gallon of gas sprayed all over the place. I thought these tanks had a pressure relief hose? I see a hose from the tank that extends down to below the frame.
Where to start? Check that hose for blockage? If not, then what?

·
Registered
11,036 Posts
You mentioned rust in your tank a few threads back.......
Did you do something to break the rust loose or did you coat the inside..
By all means check the vent hose and see if it is clear(blow air through it).
There is a small device at the top that may have some type of metallic filter media...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I used evaporust to clean out the tank a while back. I did not coat the inside, the evaporust removed all the rust and I have been keeping tank full with stabilizer (hence the issue tonight when I went to add stabilizer).
I just checked the hose. Removed from tank and blew air through, it's clear.

Small device on top of what?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ahh to clear any obstruction in the port inside the tank. I assume, want to take gas cap off first?

·
Registered
619 Posts
Bonjour,
Je pense que ce n'est pas que l'évent soit bloqué, si le moteur tourne c'est que l'essence arrive, si l'évent était bloqué le moteur aurait coupé car pas d'essence.
Google Translate:
Hello,
I think that it is not that the vent is blocked, if the engine turns it is that the gasoline arrives, if the vent was blocked the engine would have cut because no petrol.

·
Registered
11,036 Posts
Gas Cap Popping Off VERY Forcefully
Another fuel tank vent blocked.

One more clogged tank vent. This one is different..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks. Hopefully a blast of air will clear it up
Well a blast of air did nothing. It appears to be clogged internally. Couldn't get a piece of wire past the first bend. Thoughts?
Is a vented gas cap available for the 1800?

·
Registered
11,036 Posts
Try a smaller od wire. Try carb cleaner spray. Have an air compressor? Put a hose clamp on and plumb it to some PSI... Whatever dissolves evaporust could be placed into empty tank and turn it over to where said device.. Let soak and try air pressure...

·
Old Goat
24,464 Posts
Just spit balling here...how about some sort of carb/injector cleaner with plastic spray tip.....good luck

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hooked up air to vent stem under tank with about 120 PSI, no joy. Sprayed carb cleaner in there, no joy.
Tried wire again, no joy.
Decided I need to remove tank and see what I can do from the inside. I siphoned out as much as I could, then took it for a ride to burn off more gas. Made a couple of stops and opened gas cap. Sure enough, signature hissing sucking sound. So now I am concerned about imploding the tank, so I made it home and left gas cap cracked open.
My search for a vented gas cap came up a loss. Also considered just adding some gas vent to the gas cap, but not sure that would work.

What a poor design.

·
Old Goat
24,464 Posts
Granted I’m not that familiar with The workings of a 1800...but all my years reading on here only mention of your problem was a clog of some sort....mostly vent after tank was cleaned...or coated.....plenty of help on here somebody will have a clue.....good luck....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That is my guess. I recently got the bike after it had been sitting for years. The tank had a good bit of rust in it. So I filled it with Evaporust.
I am thinking a particle or two remained or since dislodged and made its way into the vent. I am just hoping I can clear it once I remove the tank and internal fuel pump. The inside of these tanks are like a maze though.

·
Registered
11,036 Posts
Put some more of the Evapo-rust into it. It maybe able to break down the iron oxide in the vent device.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts