Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just passing this along it came to me via Email.

Join the resistance!!!! I hear we are going to hit close to $3.00 a gallon by the summer and it might go higher!! Want gasoline prices to come down? We need to take some intelligent, united action.

Phillip Hollsworth, offered this good idea: This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy gas on a certain day" campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to "hurt" ourselves by refusing to buy gas. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them. BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can really work.

Please read it and join with us! By now you're probably thinking gasoline priced at about $1.50 is super cheap. Me too! It is currently $2.09 for regular unleaded in my town. Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost! of a gallon of gas is CHEAP at $1.50- $1.75, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace....not sellers. With the price of gasoline going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of gas come down is if we hit someone in the pocketbook by not purchasing their gas! And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. How? Since we all rely on our cars, we can't just stop buying gas. But we CAN have an impact on gas prices if we all act together to force a price war.

Here's the idea: For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY gasoline from the two biggest companies (which now are one), EXXON and MOBIL. If they are not selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit. But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Exxon and Mobil gas buyers. It's really simple to do!! Now, don't whimp out on me at this point...keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!

I am sending this note to about thirty people. If each of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300) ... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000)...and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers. If those three million get excited and ! pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it..... THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Again, all You have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all. (If you don't understand how we can reach 300 million and all you have to do is send this to 10 people.... Well, let's face it, you just aren't a mathematician. But I am ... so trust me on this one.)

How long would all that take? If each of us sends this e-mail out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!!! I'll bet you didn't think you and I had that much potential, did you! Acting together we can make a difference.

If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on. PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE $1.30 RANGE AND KEEP THEM DOWN. THIS CAN REALLY WORK

·
Registered
442 Posts
Why stop there. We can get them to come down to under a buck. Join me in the "Hold your breath" protest 05. LOL

Brian

·
Registered
464 Posts
Will do, but how we plan on telling 6 billion people?!?!?

·
Registered
42 Posts
You guys got it made! I just paid $2.59 for regular on my way to work here in Vegas today. :shock: Guess Chevron/Texaco execs need another Lear jet :evil:

·
Registered
464 Posts
$2.49 Here and I travel 100 miles a day with a Chevy 4wd truck.... :roll:

·
Registered
983 Posts
That will be easy for me, no Exxon/Mobil stations within a 100 miles :shock: Yes I do live in the outback. Cya, Lep

·
Registered
799 Posts
Economics

This guy needs to go back to school. Supply and demand controls the marketplace, not sellers and consumers. China is the new big "Demand". China's use of oil increased by 20% last year. The best way I know to lower the price would be for everyone to get rid of their SUV's and 4WD Trucks that get 10 MPG for Hondas (or whatever) that gets 30 to 40 MPG. That would double the supply and cut the demand. Tell your representatives to increase the annual registration fee on vehicles that don't get AT LEAST 25 MPG to $2000. Use this money and take it off the road use taxes on gas paid at the pump to lower the cost. Let the big consumers pay the big tax. Boycotting one retailer of gas won't do a thing.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Cheapest here in New Orleans is 2.09/gallon. Don't know what the answer is. I just ride my bike every chance I get. The cars burn so much more.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I'm just trying to hurry up and get the bike all put back together so I can use it to commute with, right now I'm spending $80 a week going to and from work with my pickup. I think we are going to have to ride this one out and hope for the best, but I don't see the prices coming down any time soon. Now the new dumb A$$ Governor of Washington, want's to raise fuel tax for improvements on the roads. Like anyone is going to vote yes on that one right now, It just keeps getting worse!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Unfortunately, I don't believe this will hurt the gas company, but it will hurt the local retailer who sell the Exxon/Mobil gas to you. The companies that produce, or refine, the gas can sell all they make. If they don't sell it to the stations that carry their name, they will just sell it on the spot market to another retailer. And they really don't care, so long as they sell it. I actually spoke to the people at an Exxon refinery (after the Exxon Valdez incident in Alaska), and this was their attitude. I think the only way to hurt the oil companies is to reduce the amount of gas we buy. So if you ride you bike to work (40 mpg) instead of the car (30 mpg) you just cut your consumption by 25 percent. Sounds like a win, win situation, :D :D unless it's raining. :cry:

·
Registered
851 Posts
Re: Economics

pichel said:
Supply and demand controls the marketplace, not sellers and consumers.
Maybe for some things that actually have more demand than supply. When was the last time you went to a gas station and found out they didn't have any gas? In the 1970's maybe? We don't have an oil shortage. We don't have a gas shortage. We have companies that are going to charge as much as they can before the consumers finally stop buying their product (from OPEC all the way to the local station owners). This is a free-market society after all. If the consumers would demand that the auto manufacturers build a viable alternative fuel vehicle (maybe fuel cell) then you would see the oil companies lower their prices so they don't loose too much of the market share. I would love to have a vehicle that would run on something other than fossil fuel. However, who makes one that will tow a big, heavy travel trailer? I know I haven't seen one.

edit:
By the way, that stupid email about not buying one particular brand of gas has been going around for a few years now. It is otherwise known as a SPAM email.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Have any of you heard about gas stations that are "accidentally" having 87-octane gas pumped into their 93-octane holding tanks? I heard about it on the news the other day, but I can't remember where it was happening.

I'm trying to do everything I can to save money on something that I'd consider a necessity. Once it gets nice 'round here (and stays nice), I plan on riding to work every chance I get. I've also got a bid in on one of my company's Geo Metros. If I were to "win" the "auction" right now, I'd end up paying $300 for a car that gets upwards of 45 MPG. Cool, huh?

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
HDKLR said:
Cool, huh?
Can a "Geo Metro" and "Cool" really be mentioned together in the same paragraph without offending the Gods of Coolness??? :lol:

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
GA Rainman said:
Can a "Geo Metro" and "Cool" really be mentioned together in the same paragraph without offending the Gods of Coolness??? :lol:
Well, no, but I won't mind lookin' like a dork as I pass every gas pump in town! Besides, I'll make up for it with my own custom bumper sticker: "My other vehicle is a VTX. It also gets better mileage than your SUV."

:D :D :D

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Maybe we could paint some flames on it for ya, put a wing on the back of it and get ya some of those really "whack" spinner rims. How 'bout that...would that increase the cool coeffiencent? :D

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
GA Rainman said:
Maybe we could paint some flames on it for ya, put a wing on the back of it and get ya some of those really "whack" spinner rims. How 'bout that...would that increase the cool coeffiencent? :D
But I was thinkin' 'bout spending that money on a 1200-watt stereo system and neon package.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Re: Economics

pichel said:
This guy needs to go back to school. Supply and demand controls the marketplace, not sellers and consumers. China is the new big "Demand". China's use of oil increased by 20% last year. The best way I know to lower the price would be for everyone to get rid of their SUV's and 4WD Trucks that get 10 MPG for Hondas (or whatever) that gets 30 to 40 MPG. That would double the supply and cut the demand. Tell your representatives to increase the annual registration fee on vehicles that don't get AT LEAST 25 MPG to $2000. Use this money and take it off the road use taxes on gas paid at the pump to lower the cost. Let the big consumers pay the big tax. Boycotting one retailer of gas won't do a thing.
Well I would guess you need to go back to school also. As the price rises people will move towards more economical cars on thier own, thus lowering demand and prices. No need for forced social engineering on the part of the government. Amazing thing that Capitalism is. Also the big consumers are currently paying more with the gas tax at the pump. Since they consume more they pay more.

Brian

·
Registered
540 Posts
"Oil companies can manipulate their prices somewhat by controlling how much gasoline they produce and where they sell it, but they can't alter the basics of supply and demand: prices go up when people buy more of a good, and they go down when people buy less of a good. The "gas out" schemes that propose simply shunning one or two specific brands of gasoline won't work, however, because it's based on the misconception that an oil company's only outlet for gasoline is its own branded service stations. That isn't the case — gasoline is a fungible commodity, so if one oil company's product isn't being bought up in one particular market or outlet, it will simply sell its output to other companies."

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/petition/gasout.htm

1 - 20 of 30 Posts