Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
K, This is probably a stupid question... But how do I tell when I am running low on gasoline on my VTX 1300 Retro, 2003. On my previous bike I had an idiot light that told me I needed to switch to reserve... Other than watching the tripmeter on this bike is there something else ...

Thanks Russ

·
Registered
289 Posts
Nope, nothing else. I run till I hit reserve.

·
Registered
75 Posts
i run till i get to about 130 or so,then i'll either go fill up or take my cap off and see how much gas is swishing around in there.haven't hit reserve yet

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
SKCM2006 said:
Other than watching the tripmeter on this bike is there something else ...
Nope...other than the "sput...put..ppppp...pop" when you run out the main. Works quite well.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Poison said:
SKCM2006 said:
Other than watching the tripmeter on this bike is there something else ...
Nope...other than the "sput...put..ppppp...pop" when you run out the main. Works quite well.
what poison said

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
I hit reserve quite regularly

·
Registered
113 Posts
I run it until I hit reserve, usually between 142-150 miles

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
SKCM2006 said:
K, This is probably a stupid question... But how do I tell when I am running low on gasoline on my VTX 1300 Retro, 2003. On my previous bike I had an idiot light that told me I needed to switch to reserve... Other than watching the tripmeter on this bike is there something else ...

Thanks Russ
Yes, when the engine stalls while riding it, you need to switch to reserve. BUT BE WARNED. You have very little time when then engine starts to sputter, it dies quickly!

·
Registered
537 Posts
I have to agree with Poison, sput, sput, cough lets me know really quickly that I need to switch to reserve. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
12,797 Posts
I used to wait until it ran out, then hit the reserve, but it seemed like that would happen mostly in the middle of a turn when you need both hands on the bars the most. So now I just make it a point to fill up around 120 miles, so I don't even think about running out anymore. The peace of mind is a big difference.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts