Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
fairing that is.

Now that I have your attention, I need some insight into wiring the stereo.

I was wondering if I should wire it straight from the radio to my second fuse box, or should I use some type of quick disconnect at the fairing. If the quick disconnect option, what kind should I use?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks
Gregg

·
Registered
13,177 Posts
fairing that is.

Now that I have your attention, I need some insight into wiring the stereo.

I was wondering if I should wire it straight from the radio to my second fuse box, or should I use some type of quick disconnect at the fairing. If the quick disconnect option, what kind should I use?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks
Gregg
Thought the bike was supposed to give that to you!

Yes use a quick disconnect. MTL you will have 3 wires. One always hot to keep the memory in the radio (fused and to the battery) one that is switched (probably to your fuse box) and a ground lead. Most any decent 3 pin connector of heavy enough gauge should work. Or you can go crazy and buy a molex milspec screw connector. Your call.

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
A four pin trailer connector works well and is weather resistant.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I did not put a quick disconnect on mine. I didnt think I'd be removing the fairing ever again but since I installed it, I've had it apart 3 times for various things. Its about done now, and still haven't needed a disconnect to remove it all quickly. Worst case I could un-solder my connections and remove it. I also put a Kury volt meter on my fairing, which is turning out to be nice since i didnt know how much the stereo was going to pull off the battery, etc.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
as above, with or w/o a QD cord is your choice, and it's easiest to just fuse the yellow lead right at the battery pos. terminal with an inline fuse. You can get one at PepBoys Auto Zone, etc. to take the blade-type automotive fuses rather than a glass one. I'd over-fuse it at 25 amps since the radio has it's own 10 or 15 (depending on brand) fuse and the one at the battery will be protecting the entire fairing and power cord itself + the accy socket. Call me anytime if you need a hand regarding wiring, you've got my cell#.

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
I did not put a quick disconnect on mine. I didnt think I'd be removing the fairing ever again but since I installed it, I've had it apart 3 times for various things. Its about done now, and still haven't needed a disconnect to remove it all quickly. Worst case I could un-solder my connections and remove it. I also put a Kury volt meter on my fairing, which is turning out to be nice since i didnt know how much the stereo was going to pull off the battery, etc.
WOW! If anyone needs a quick disconnect, I think you do.

·
Registered
115 Posts
WOW! If anyone needs a quick disconnect, I think you do.
Yeah, I thought about that after the fact, but luckily all I had to do was remove the outer shell so nothing had to be disconnected. The harness on my stereo will disconnect, but it will not fit through the hole in the fairing anyway.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts