Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the past two weeks I have been going through and sort of doing an inventory of shop tools. I have 3 roll around tool cabinets full of tools, so many tools I lost track of what I had. Well all that is done, the broken tools collected and ready to be exchanged ( gotta love Lifetime Warrantied Tools ). I have decided to upgrade some tools and combination wrenches is one area.

I was in Sears and they are having a sale on GearWrench branded tools, not these are NOT Craftsman wrenches but they do have a Sears backed Lifetime Warranty.

Has anyone used them and if so, what do you think of them? Useful, or a waste of money?

Note - looking at the standard ones, not the reversible ( need to flip these over ) and not the flexible ones.

Thanks

This is a pic of the style I am considering ...

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
I have a set of "Super Indestro" what I call speed wrenches. They work great in spaces that a ratchet and socket wont fit. They look like twelve points so they should be just fine I am sure you are not buying them for the open end part!!. I used them alot when I was driving vehicles that were unreliable. :thumbup: They dont slip and bust knuckles.

·
Registered
9,766 Posts
I have a couple sets of the gear wrench brand ratchet wrenches. I have had zero problems with the metric set that I have at home. The S.A.E. set I have in my work tool box did end up with a 9/16 that would occasionally slip a notch or two (I'm pretty sure it was from abuse, I've hit it with a hammer or some other heavy object more than once to break loose a nut:oops:). all the others were fine. I did get the 9/16 replaced under the lifetime warranty without any questions (ACE hardware). I think they are well worth the money. They are great for working in tight places, like a motorcycle.

·
Mad Hatter
21,344 Posts
I too have a few sets of the Gear Wrench.. I would Highly Recomend them!! They work great and are priced good as well..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks,

The wife gave me a 'blank check' so to speak and said get something you really want for Christmas.

I like tools. These will be the next addition to the 'collection'. :lol:

Off to Sears in about 30 mins ... they are having a good sale.

I know I wish I had one when I was doing that F*&%@#king passenger peg mount on the right side of the 1800N! :lol:

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I have them and they work great especialy in tight spots but I wouldn't use the rachet end to break real tight or rusty bolts.For that I use a regular wrench then switch to the gear wrench.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Yes, great tools. I'm a maintenance tech and I have both the SAE & metric sets from Sears. They get used and abused at work. Haven't had to get any replaced due to failure. But have lost a couple. I love the set you get form Sears because they have a NO-slip ring on them to keep the wrench from sliding over the nut. However, you can't buy them as individual wrenches, not even from Gearwrench. They are made special for that set. You can get individual wrenches, but not with the no-slip ring. At least thats what Gearwrench told me in an E-mail some time ago.
But then again, I did find a replacement with the no-slip ring thru Grainger made by WESTWARD. And it looks identical to the Gearwrench. Probly same wrench with a different name. Any way, I am very happy with them and use them every day.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I love tools just bought these at a pawn shop for 10 bucks.Limited Edtion Craftsman.Don;t need them but for ten bucks I could not pass them up.:D

·
Mad Hatter
21,344 Posts
I love tools just bought these at a pawn shop for 10 bucks.Limited Edtion Craftsman.Don;t need them but for ten bucks I could not pass them up.:D

Wanna Sell them ????:tools::tools::tools::tools:

·
Registered
877 Posts
i have two sets.have worked at a cadillac dealership for over 33 yrs.every mechanic has a set or two.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have a set of the SAE Gearwrenches, and they are great. They are the older, original style...non-reversible, and they are holding up great.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I use them at work and home, I have both straight and flex head. I have not been able to break one yet.;) sb

·
3,915 Posts
Thanks for the post. I was in Sears yesterday thinking the same thing. I'm gonna buy em $29 fot eh set with a life time warranty... I think

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
I use the swivel head type 'Gear Wrench' style wrenches ALL the time. Mine are made by 'Proto' but same thing. Good tools are a joy.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I have the Gearwrench Vortex ratchet set and a few other tools from them. The quality is very good for the price and even better than some more expensive options.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts