Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although I've been riding for a few weeks this spring, I spent most of yesterday afternoon doing a meticulous spring clean-up. We've heard much discussion about the VTX wearing a lot of plastic. Well, I had all the plastic chrome cleaned up and gleaming in no time. However, ALL the chromed metal contained surface rust, some minor but some, the wheels especially, looked pretty shabby and required a lot of elbow grease with an excellent metal polish (Solvol Autosol). The bike was garaged all winter. This has been a common spring ritual on my son's old '82 450 Nighthawk as well. Surface corrosion on metal chromed surfaces. My VTX looks awesome now but the job would have gone more quickly had there been more plastic.

I also changed the oil and made the switch to Mobil 1 Sythentic Red Cap, 15W-50. Hey, if Amsoil was readily available at Wally World, I probably would have tried that instead. Really wasn't expecting much from the synthetic but as others have mentioned, shifting is easier, particularly downshifting into the lower gears. The engine is indeed SLIGHTLY less noisy. The biggest difference I've noticed however is idle smoothness. My saddlebags are virtually motionless now when the bike is just sitting idling in the driveway. Also, tonight when I went to put the bike in the garage after sitting for over 2 hours since running, it started fine with no choke and I could let it idle with zero throttle application. Normally, this would not be the case. It was the first time I've ever heard this bike idle that slowly without stalling. Almost Harley like, if you will! All I can assume is that reduced friction is allowing the motor to spin more easily. I keep meticulous gas mileage records so it will be interesting to see if there is any improvement in that area as well.

P.S. I used my convertible dolly/stool for the first time to change the oil and clean the bike. What a back saver and it's nice to be able to roll around as I move to clean different spots. Next spring, I think I'll put the bike on the lift to make cleaning the wheels easier. Think I'll also wipe the rims with an oily rag prior to putting the bike away for the winter. Spoked wheels LOOK nice but they're a bitch to clean.

·
Registered
436 Posts
kinda the same problem

My cast wheels look like crap. Too bad to clean in one sitting. Using Eagle one wheel cleaner. Looks kinda like dirty cotton in a can and smells like lighter fluid. Used it on the wife's spokes (Vulcan 500 LTD) and it did a great job. Just a reminder watch using the "H" word or your post may get booted!! LOL

G

·
0 Posts
WD-40 = no rust in the spring

Every fall I spray a rag with WD-40 and wipe down my wheels for the winter. It's about a can for 2 wheels in the spring give her a bath and no rust. any silicone spray works also but I found the silicone sprays dried to fast on a rag and didn't apply as well. Works on mags too.

·
Registered
362 Posts
to clean mag wheels == Mothers makes a ball of sponge fingers that fit into electric drill and makes short work cleaning wheels.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
What was it Neil Young sang..."a man needs a maid..." :D

·
Registered
132 Posts
Clayton Root said:
I also changed the oil and made the switch to Mobil 1 Sythentic Red Cap, 15W-50. Hey, if Amsoil was readily available at Wally World, I probably would have tried that instead. Really wasn't expecting much from the synthetic but as others have mentioned, shifting is easier, particularly downshifting into the lower gears. The engine is indeed SLIGHTLY less noisy. The biggest difference I've noticed however is idle smoothness. My saddlebags are virtually motionless now when the bike is just sitting idling in the driveway. Also, tonight when I went to put the bike in the garage after sitting for over 2 hours since running, it started fine with no choke and I could let it idle with zero throttle application. Normally, this would not be the case. It was the first time I've ever heard this bike idle that slowly without stalling. Almost Harley like, if you will! All I can assume is that reduced friction is allowing the motor to spin more easily. I keep meticulous gas mileage records so it will be interesting to see if there is any improvement in that area as well.

P.S. I used my convertible dolly/stool for the first time to change the oil and clean the bike. What a back saver and it's nice to be able to roll around as I move to clean different spots. Next spring, I think I'll put the bike on the lift to make cleaning the wheels easier. Think I'll also wipe the rims with an oily rag prior to putting the bike away for the winter. Spoked wheels LOOK nice but they're a bitch to clean.
Clayton,

Do you have any concerns about the viscosity and cooler temperatures? I live in Denver, I dont ususally ride when the temperature is lower than about 35 degrees fahrenheit. I havent' yet switched to synthetic and can't decide between the Amsoil 10w-40 or the new Mobil 1?

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bradleyVTX said:
Clayton,

Do you have any concerns about the viscosity and cooler temperatures? I live in Denver, I dont ususally ride when the temperature is lower than about 35 degrees fahrenheit. I havent' yet switched to synthetic and can't decide between the Amsoil 10w-40 or the new Mobil 1?
It can get pretty warm here in the summer. Actually, it was over 80 degrees F. here today in April. Contrary to popular belief, we're not all Eskimos in Canada. Where I live, it is much further south than Minnesota and the Dakotas, plus we're moderated by the Great Lakes.

Since synthetic has better flow characteristics when cold, I don't have any concern with the 15 viscosity index. The owner's manual shows 20W-50 being O.K. down to freezing temperatures and this viscosity is 5 points below that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts