Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,
The death of George Floyd is truly sad, on many levels. Whatever the circumstances, I am sure there were a hundred ways this could have been avoided. From the clips I have seen on the news, in my opinion, it seems that the people (LEO's) we trust to protect us, failed. Investigations will be thorough and penalties as deemed by the justice system will be harsh.

But...
What is rarely reported are the preceding circumstances leading up to the takedown. Something had to happen that we are not seeing. Cops don't accost people for no reason. (or shouldn't) I firmly believe our officers have the right to detain and utilize whatever means necessary to keep and maintain peace. Trouble begets trouble. There are always 2 sides to the story and I for one, think that our police are doing a damn good job.

I follow this guy on youtube and like the perspective. Watch if you like.

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
Face down on the ground, in cuffs. Sufficient. Knee crushing throat, excessive overkill. Maybe not for a few seconds to subdue, but 8 minutes? C'mon, man.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
not on his death..

but was it a bad/fake check.. or a fake 100 dollar bill , he was trying to pass

so much guessing in this story.

·
Old Goat
25,002 Posts
Maybe the question Is ...should the arrests fit the crime....should say a violent felon get the shit beat out of them , while a petty criminal gets beat on a little less...make no mistake at the end of the day ,I’m not a criminals got rights Kinda guy.. ..but fair is fair....

·
Premium Member
2,585 Posts
I read somewhere that he had tried to pass a counterfeit bill at a store. Sounds very unlikely to be part of a larger counterfeiting ring, probably something he was doing on his own, something a simple arrest trip to jail could have handled. Another question; why was he on the ground in the first place ? Story says there were 4 officers at the scene, why wasn't he cuffed and put in one of the cars ? One unarmed counterfeiter vs four heavily armed cops, seems to me that's plenty of LEO power to have that guy cuffed and in the car in less than a minute. I didn't see, and haven't heard, anything about him trying to escape or resist so why wasn't he just taken to jail ?

·
Super Moderator
6,458 Posts
Death By Police is unacceptable in any circumstance.
Really? Even when they are clearly defending themselves from people who are intent on hurting or killing them? Or with that same intent toward others?

In this particular situation I don't believe they can justify having him on the ground with a knee on his neck for 8 minutes, regardless of what he did or didn't do. It's a clear case of abusive force and manslaughter.

But to say police are never justified in taking another life under any circumstances is just not realistic.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
It's reported he attempted to pass a bad 20. Did he know it was counterfeit? Had a GF that worked in a bank. Some bogus notes are damn good. I have not read or heard that he was suspected of actually printing of the bills.

·
Registered
578 Posts
He seemed to be subdued from the first minute of the video to me. If he was not sufficiently under control why was the other visible officer not appearing concerned and assisting for eight minutes? Was he on the ground due to an injury sustained in the initial take down and they were waiting eight minutes for the ambulance? Too many questions, but, I don’t think the answers justify the cops ultimate actions.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
While we don't have a lot of facts, one thing is still certain: for this event to be labeled as "murder", the officer must have had the intention of killing the individual. And intent is VERY hard to prove.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
The video shows the restraining officer moving his right foot around.

His full weight was on his left knee/leg, on the guy's neck.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
The video shows the restraining officer moving his right foot around.

His full weight was on his left knee/leg, on the guy's neck.
Do you think the officer knew the subject? Do they maybe have some history we don't know about? Sometimes officers' feelings can run amok and override their reasoning abilities. (not defending that behavior, merely pointing it out)

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Wiki
Third-degree murder

Minnesota
Minnesota law originally defined third-degree murder solely as depraved-heart murder ("without intent to effect the death of any person, caus[ing] the death of another by perpetrating an act eminently dangerous to others and evincing a depraved mind, without regard for human life").[7][8] In 1987, an additional drug-related provision ("without intent to cause death, proximately caus[ing] the death of a human being by, directly or indirectly, unlawfully selling, giving away, bartering, delivering, exchanging, distributing, or administering a controlled substance classified in Schedule I or II") was added to the definition of third-degree murder.[7][9] Up until the early 2000s, prosecutions under that provision were rare, but they began to rise in the 2010s. Some reports linked this increase in prosecutions to the opioid epidemic in the United States.[10]

Minnesota law also defines the crime of third-degree murder of an unborn child, with the same elements of depraved mind and lack of intent to kill distinguishing it from first- or second-degree murder of an unborn child.[11][12] Both third-degree murder and third-degree murder of an unborn child are punishable by a maximum of 25 years' imprisonment.[7][12]

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Do you think the officer knew the subject? Do they maybe have some history we don't know about? Sometimes officers' feelings can run amok and override their reasoning abilities. (not defending that behavior, merely pointing it out)
Sh!t runs downhill.

Cop will take the Big Heat for this one.

We read that he has displayed bravery in the past, but also has past citations against him.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts