Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that some folks here use Gerbing's heated gear, so maybe they and others thinking about the stuff will be interested in my experience with the company and their gear. This was my first winter using the heated gloves and jacket liner. I ride 80 miles a day and, prior to getting Gerbings, I simply could not ride below 32*, at least at anything remotely resembling comfort. This winter, however, my X and I rode every single day that it was not snowing -- well, almost :oops: -- or icy. I was one of very few nutjobs riding a bike, sometimes on 12* mornings.

Gloves -- These didn't keep my hands toasty warm, but rather kept my hands pretty much at room temperature. If I thought I was disappointed in their heating capacity, all I had to to was turn down my controller at 80MPH to notice a whopping difference.

Jacket Liner -- This rocked. Plain and simple. Although I didn't push it, I thought that maybe this could actually burn me if I left it against my skin for too long. It got really hot. Nice stuff.

Uh-oh -- It's a fair review, so I have to say that the gloves began to leak in the fingers. Think cold, wet, and moving fast. The heating didn't matter at that point. It happened every time it rained and it sucked. Also, one of the heating elements in the jacket liner arm (they heat in patches) turned off, leaving one of my arms strangely colder than the other. This surprised me since the gloves are sold as "water proof" and Gerbings makes a big deal about the quality of their products.
So last Thursday I FedExed to Gerbings everything with a letter of explanation. They got my package on Friday morning, and by Monday shipped it back to me. They fixed a loose connection in my jacket liner and simply replaced the gloves with new ones. No questions. Whoa. I've never received that kind of service.

I'm not connected with Gerbings, but I thought others would want to know about a real first time user's experience with the stuff. It made a world of difference over the winter, mainly letting me ride whenever I wanted.

Steve

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Yep, Gerbing's stuff just rocks. Had the Widder gloves before, there's good and bad of each, but I think the Gerbings are better. Their socks are also very nice on those cold days I rode in. I returned the jacket liner as it didnt fit very well around the neck.

I have a set of pants liner, used once or twice, I'll make someone a really good deal on!!!! They work great, just didnt work out for me.

·
Registered
446 Posts
The wife and I use the Gerbing glove liners and socks. Here in Texas we don't need too much. For us the glove liners work great. We wear our heavy winter gloves over them and for me I can't wear them on high. I turn them down about half way and they are still very warm.

The wife gets cold easy so I may get her the jacket liner this next year.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The wife and I both have Gerbings gloves and jacket liners. We where them on our GL1800 Gold Wing.

I don't use them on the VTX as I don't think the alternator can keep up with two sets running.

Great gear! Makes winter riding a much nicer experience.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jarhead said:
The wife and I both have Gerbings gloves and jacket liners. We where them on our GL1800 Gold Wing.

I don't use them on the VTX as I don't think the alternator can keep up with two sets running.

Great gear! Makes winter riding a much nicer experience.
In Florida?!! :wink:

·
Registered
16,084 Posts
I got the Gerbings this year also. I was impressed and had No failures at all. I don't ride in the rain. But they kept me warm down to 20 deg. I would think you need to put some wax or something to seal around the stitchings. JMO

1 - 6 of 6 Posts