Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always get confused about what causes the popping. It just got very bad!! I did 2 things:

1. I leaned the PC 3 down one from the original setting because my plugs were very sootie!!
2. Had a new rear tire installed at a local shop and they disconnected the exhaust to accomplish. Maybe they conpromised the gasket??

Any help? Please!!! Thanks,
DeanX02

·
Registered
129 Posts
Popping

The problem is probably where the exhaust mates to the head. Fresh air is getting in causing the exhaust to pop. I experienced this on my 1800c just recently after removing my exhaust for modification purposes. There is no gasket so therefore the exhaust relies on metal to metal mating to seal. Remove the exhaust nuts and apply some anti-seize compound(sparingly) then retorque to factory specs. This cured mine. It still pops on decel, but only if the throttle is slightly cracked open, but not on full closure. I hope this cures yours Ride on brother! :lol:

·
Super Moderator
63,884 Posts
I suspect the exhaust gaskets too. They likely used the same gaskets, and these are crush gaskets designed to be torqued once and tossed away. There is a whole page on "What causes the X to pop" on the VTXOA Garage if you want to know why. http://tech.vtxoa.com 8)

·
Registered
518 Posts
Re: Popping

BIG THUMP V2 said:
There is no gasket so therefore the exhaust relies on metal to metal mating to seal.
Just to clarify... there are gaskets, like Spike mentioned. They start off as a circular tube and when you torque the pipe onto them the flatten out. When that happens the jam into the exhaust port real tight and after taking the pipes off, could feel like there's no gasket. You'll feel a lip on the inside of the port, that lip is the gasket. Pop it out with a crescent wrench.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
DeanX02 said:
1. I leaned the PC 3 down one from the original setting because my plugs were very sootie!!
DeanX02
Leaning will make decel popping worse not better. That's why FI2000's help because they richen.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Dean...replace your exhaust seals....and get the bike custom mapped with tuning link software/trained dynojet shop...you will be amazed the way your bike runs..these are simple low rpm v-twins and can be tuned to run very well with any mods&a pc3...its well worth the money...brian

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all for their input!! I think I'll try the exhaust gaskets and go from there. I had it dynoed and custom mapped long ago, and I'm thinking of getting some new exhaust. So I'll hold off on any remapping until I decide which ones to get, leaning toward V&H.

Thanks again,
DeanX02

1 - 7 of 7 Posts