Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an r1 that is acting up. The engine will kill while riding. Nothing locks up it just dies. I pull in the clutch, cycle the run switch and it will restart. If I do not cycle the run switch, it will not restart. When it dies the FI light comes on. I was reading in a 02-03 manual (I dont have a 2005 manual) that you can use a jumper on the PGM-FI service check connector and get a code that with help with the diagnostic process. However, when I removed my seat, it was not clear to me where my service check connector is. All plugs have both sides. I have assumed (possibly incorrectly) that the service connector would have wires on one side and possibly a dust cap on it? Any help would be great! Thank ahead of time!

·
Super Moderator
63,930 Posts
Did you have the tank off before this started happening? Did you do anything to the bike right before this started happening?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you have the tank off before this started happening? Did you do anything to the bike right before this started happening?

Just rode it. :) It did it to me twice last year. Both times it was pretty hot. (95 degrees at 5500') They happened about 4 months apart from each other so I kind of figured it was a type of vapor lock. The other day I was riding around town (5500'). For the first 20 minutes there was no issue. The final 20 minutes it happened every time I dropped the rpms. I figured it could be a fuel filter issue. From what I can see, on a 2005 r1, the fuel filter is part of the pump. I certainly hope that the pump is not going out. I just finished doing a plug change. They looked worn but nothing that really stood out.

·
Super Moderator
63,930 Posts
Next time it does this, try opening the gas cap. If it sounds like a soda can opening, you have a pinched vent hose under the tank

·
Registered
12,157 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
There have been a few/rare cases where the wiring was intermittently rubbing the frame or harness clip.
Sometimes a fuse has blown. Check very carefully where the injector wires break out of the harness, the harness cable clip.
I will search for some previous troubles.

Battery cables tight???
Any fuel manager::: power commander???

Google this:: "" injector code site:www.vtxoa.com""
Many responses, some with fuse blowing, most without.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts