Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all - so I've seen a lot about bars and risers recently - however, on my previous cruisers I never did mess with the reach of the bike. However, I'm now interested and just wanted to ask the group - what are the pros & cons to risers vs bars? Right now I'm looking at the 4 inch "norm" for new risers, but just wondering if one is "better" than the other. On my street bike setups I've always gone with heli bars.

Also - I'm a lone wolf rider 99.99997% of the time. I noticed a number of you have solo luggage racks that are installed where the pillion normally is. However, I can't seem to find anything online (I even went to one manu's site that someone had listed in their mod list and no bones). If someone could point me to a place where I could find a solo luggage rack for behind the saddle, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
419 Posts
I have these on my Honda VTX 1300 T good piece of machined aluminum 4" you don't need to change the cables or anything else they polish up like chrome

·
Registered
231 Posts
Can't beat a nice set of ape hangers in my humble opinion. No higher than the shoulder is the rule.
A really good way of sorting out bars is to sit on the bike with a rod (usually wood) about 40" long hold it in a comfortable riding position for you. Get someone to measure hieght from the yoke, pull back and hand span, end to end. then use any combination of riser or just bar to get your desired position.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Well something is missing...

Year and model???

Edit the "Signature" and put your year and model so everyone will know.

Some of us old farts are getting tired trying to find year and model searching old posts..
:agree:

When you figure out what size risers you want by measuring your reach while sitting on your bike google what you want and you will find them cheaper than the site listed above but that site is good info for comparison of products.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sorry - busy week and my phone didn't notify me of replies (lazy - I know)

2005 VTX1300R

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've seen You tube videos. Shoulder height is the recommended height. That's where "ape hangers" come into play. I have no experience with these and have often wondered:
How much is for appearance?
How much more comfortable are they on a long ride?
How much do they affect steering?
Cheers

·
Registered
231 Posts
I've seen You tube videos. Shoulder height is the recommended height. That's where "ape hangers" come into play. I have no experience with these and have often wondered:
How much is for appearance?
How much more comfortable are they on a long ride?
How much do they affect steering?
Cheers
Hahaha Everything on a cruiser is for appearance
Comfort? I think they are mighty comfy, I ride with a rider backrest and find that helps enormously. about 65-70mph is the ideal cruising speed 75-85 good for up to a tank of fuel depending on fitness and strength, I did 95 for about 20 miles and that was really draining. 112 is my absolute limit. Of course, slam a barn door on there and I am sure your Shirley will tow much higher cruising speeds.
In terms of handling. Really low-speed stuff calls for a bit of finesse for you to not look like a rank amateur. Pulling up in style also took a bit of practice. But once you're rolling above walking speed I do not think there is any difference until you get up to the upper limits. In fact I would say a set of well set up Ape hangers and a wee bit of practice and they are much nicer than any stock bars. I do see why you do not see them on standard bikes, you really do have to have some riding experience under your belt and be competent in your MC handling skills, in general, to get the best from them, but that is not to say you need to be a riding god. You just have to remember they are a little different than what you are used to for a while. For e.g. you can haul up to a junction or a stop on a sports, naked or adventure bike with loads of front brake loading and it will not generally upset the bike very much. You will never do that with Apes because you will (more than likely) look like an orangutan on acid with an ear infection so you may need to learn to bring her in smooth and rapid with both anchors biting, finishing with the rear brake only to keep everything nice and stable.
All that been said My Shirley was stolen last year and was recovered in a very short time. It seems in Manchester (a city in the UK) that gangs of teenagers like to rob big bikes and ride them like they have been stolen (which of course they have) I am convinced three things prevented me from losing her forever 1/ weight (big heavy bike for little boys) 2/ apehangers real bars for real mesters :+) and 3/ the real heavy clutch set up, which little boys cant use without spraining hand ligaments.
If you do get on with Apes you will never go back. Lots of people turn their nose up until they sit on the bike and feel the position. Give them a go

·
Registered
361 Posts
Your explaining about monkey bars "ape hangers" is about the same as what some riders say about darkside. Different, takes getting used to, not for the beginner, try it and you'll never go back. Ok that's all. Just my observation.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Morning all - so I've seen a lot about bars and risers recently - however, on my previous cruisers I never did mess with the reach of the bike. However, I'm now interested and just wanted to ask the group - what are the pros & cons to risers vs bars? Right now I'm looking at the 4 inch "norm" for new risers, but just wondering if one is "better" than the other. On my street bike setups I've always gone with heli bars.

Thanks!
http://www.accessoryinternational.com/product/aeromach-risers-vtx-sabre-valkyrie-magna-vlx-600.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw_MnmBRAoEiwAPRRWWw3j0WLuYiFrJxXEDyJzKpdYsVC4MeR3jjTdkQwcO87njouzDQZrTRoCdNUQAvD_BwE

I have had these rises on my 2004 1300S since 2005 and put thousand's of miles on my bike with them both short and very long rides. They really make a difference.

Pros: Very easy to install, you can do this yourself. They bring your stock bars back relieving just enough tention in your sholders to make a longer ride more comfortable. If you want to attach "stuff" to your handle bars, it makes reaching for them, while you are riding, easier and a safer. the cables on my "S" model didn't have to be altered or added new longer cables - plenty of room for turning.

Cons: When installing say the above mentioned risers you have to make sure your brake, clutch cables will allow you to turn your bike safely - need enough slack. That's all I can think of.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Your explaining about monkey bars "ape hangers" is about the same as what some riders say about darkside. Different, takes getting used to, not for the beginner, try it and you'll never go back. Ok that's all. Just my observation.
I think that comparing car tyres to motorcycle handlebars is like trying to compare chalk and cheese! If I were to put clip on drops on the VTX I would in all probability say something very similar. Because bars can and will change and alter the handling of a motorcycle, and if nothing else just the difference in stance and hand/arm position will take some getting used to. But hey WTF do I know seems to me you are just making contentious statements for the sake of it. Your observation is duly noted! Might I respectfully suggest that you get your eyes tested as your observations are clearly flawed and would benefit from better lenses :+)
P.S Monkey bars in the UK is a kids climbing frame

·
Registered
361 Posts
No little boy, my eyes are excellent, but thanks for the concern. I made a simple innocent statement about an observation i made about some things you said about handlebars and some of the same things i have heard other people say about putting a car tire on a motorcycle. I never compared handlebars with tires,yea that would be dumb.I also stated Just my observation. I also stated that's all. Wow did you really have to bring cheese and chalk into this? I wasn't answering anybody's question. I made a simple statement. If you're bent out of shape because I called your handlebars monkey bars ,,well do whatever makes you feel big and tough little davey.

I think that comparing car tyres to motorcycle handlebars is like trying to compare chalk and cheese! If I were to put clip on drops on the VTX I would in all probability say something very similar. Because bars can and will change and alter the handling of a motorcycle, and if nothing else just the difference in stance and hand/arm position will take some getting used to. But hey WTF do I know seems to me you are just making contentious statements for the sake of it. Your observation is duly noted! Might I respectfully suggest that you get your eyes tested as your observations are clearly flawed and would benefit from better lenses :+)
P.S Monkey bars in the UK is a kids climbing frame[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
231 Posts
No little boy, my eyes are excellent, but thanks for the concern. I made a simple innocent statement about an observation i made about some things you said about handlebars and some of the same things i have heard other people say about putting a car tire on a motorcycle. I never compared handlebars with tires,yea that would be dumb.I also stated Just my observation. I also stated that's all. Wow did you really have to bring cheese and chalk into this? I wasn't answering anybody's question. I made a simple statement. If you're bent out of shape because I called your handlebars monkey bars ,,well do whatever makes you feel big and tough little davey.

P.S Monkey bars in the UK is a kids climbing frame
[/QUOTE]

No I did not have to bring chalk and cheese into it at all I just decided to do so because I thought it was pertinent to the subject. In terms of monkey bars being a climbing frame I was merely pointing out the differences in our English terminology, I find it interesting and fascinating the different meaning for the same words between our nations. You guys go to the John (toilet?) we put a Johnny on (a condom)
Nor am I or was I "bent out of shape". With the very greatest of respect, I do not know you well enough and you are not important enough in my life to get bent out of shape for. I can see how you may have taken my statement about specs out of context (it was only meant in banter) and if this caused you offence I apologise.
I would, however, be genuinely interested in knowing your experience of monkey bars :) and what you think of them If you have tried them or not? (No I am not going to say if haven't tried them you cannot or should not comment)
I also understand how easily people can take offence to text when there is no physical entity present to gauge or discern motive or emotional state. I did not mean my post to be offensive but perhaps thought-provoking and inviting further open comment.
If I want to feel big and tough I usually put my loin cloth on and swing from the chandelier to impress the Mrs
I do believe that nothing in my post (needing an eye test being the possible exception & duly apologised for) was either contentious or insulting and really did not require the passive-aggressive response I got. Still happy to have a conversation. if we can keep it civil? happy to do banter and off the cuff sarcasm and humour if you are ok with this if not can just do very civil discourse.
Best Regards
Little Davey :+)

·
Registered
361 Posts
Hey Davey,good day to you. To answer your question, yes i have tried real tall handle bars a dozen or so times. My brother in law has a couple bikes, one of them being a customized old harley with really tall apes. As far as language differences, I'm the only one i know of that calls them monkey bars, just to ruffle Davids feathers a little bit. I have ridden David's bike on several occasions. My father in law has passed on but he had a 70s honda chopper, coffin tank,king queen seat,long springer front end,and apes, i rode it only once, and found out i didn't like not being able to lean in curves because it sit so low. As far as liking the monkey bars I do not.On Davids bike the bars make it feel to me like there's much slack or lack of response in the steering. Maybe I haven't ridden it long enough to get used to it but i like tighter steering with better response. On dad in laws old chopper the bars were tall but the grips were more like a tiller,parallel with the bike. A guy would have to have large cast iron counter weights to deal with that bike, which I'm pretty sure he had, being an old school 1 percenter that rode with some groups I will not mention here. I like the looks of them on bikes of a certain style, but so far,, they are not for me but I'm ok with that. I do like cheese as long as it's not of the smelly variety but I'm not so fond of chalk any color.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Interesting take on Apes there. I once put a set of 18" ape hangers on a gixxer. I loved them apart from if you did an emergency stop the leverage on the bars would cause them to move forward in the bar clamps requiring loosening moving and re-tightening. I guess I learned from that experience, not all bike should have apes but I did enjoy the looks and gasps and accusation of heresy from sportbike riders.
Usually the wider the bars (apes also tend to have a greater width than standard) the better they perform. It's why adventure bikes have more width to apply greater leverage in turns and give more control over rough terrain Maybe there was something loose in the Harley front end causing the loose feel? or maybe that Harley was not the right bike for tall apes. In terms of height Apes really should not be higher than the shoulder this can really cause handling issues. I think the Bars your father in law used are called ram horns in the UK pulling straight back almost parallel with the yokes. A friend of mine had them on an XS 400 a long long time ago and they were really quite terrible. I can see they would cause some handling nightmares and am not surprised you struggled with them. Much like you, I like cheese though I am partial to a bit of smelly cheese a Christmas (in small amounts) My wife makes cauliflower & stilton soup and that is bloody gorgeous. as for chalk (white chalk) is really good for indigestion if you don't have any tablets handy. In fact, I think chalk works more effectively than bought and packaged tablets. easy to carry round in a bag in your pocket and handy when the grandkids visit for drawing in the garden or garage LoL

1 - 18 of 18 Posts