Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just removed my tank and side cover emblems today. Now I am having a time getting all the gunk off the tank. I used dental floss to get the emblems off and this left a ton of gunk. I broke out the hair dryer and WD-40 and sat there for about an hour on one side and still can't get alot of it off. Any suggestions to make this any easier??

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
A product called gue-gone is good still takes a little time :roll:

Be Safe

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Didn't someone posted that Goo-Gone damaged their paint. I thought about getting some before I started but not if it will damage the finish.

·
Super Moderator
63,767 Posts
Napa also has adhesive remover that is safe for paint that is deisigned to remove 3m body trim adhesive. 8)

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok I went to 5 different auto parts stores today, including NAPA, and none had the 3M stuff. Any other suggestions??

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
ace hardware

we stock it..... call your local Ace if they dont stock it they may not want to order it it comes in a case of 6 when ibuy it from the warehouse. (we sell about 4 per year)

sku# to ask for - 12174 ACE PART #'ER

3M part # - 051135-08984 General Puropse Adhesive Cleaner.

Runs around 10-12$ a quart... more than you need yes.... but we do sell it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
goo gone worked for me on my emblems on side covers and rear fender. No trouble on paint job

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I just did this last night - I had both off and tank clean in 15 minutes

I used the dental floss (alot of it!) and just "sawed the emblem off.

For the remaining adhesive tape, just use your thumb nail to scrape it off.
When you get the bulk done, spray some sort of penetrating lube (I used PB Blaster) heavily on a rag and wipe it over what is left of the sticky crap and let it soak in a minute...you should be able to work the remaining adhesive off with your thumb nail.

Make sure you get all of the black foam off before soaking it with the pen lube....

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I got all of the foam off this afternoon. Went and picked up some Goo-Gone and I'm gonna give it a shot tomorrow.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I did mine last summer,took the emblem off with dental floss.To get the gunk off the tank,I just took a good wax and put some on a soft cloth.Ijust rubbed over the same spot with a little elbow grease,it slowly begins to take it off.didn't hurt the paint at all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts