Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK all You Vtx Riders. Saturday 1/3/2009 Tricia and I are giving Blood at the Bartlett Life Blood location on Stage Road. If Mother Nature will behave, would like to do some riding, then go eat a late lunch at say 1:00 go to Life Blood at 2:00 and give a pint.

We Cound stage at "Starbucks" again at 64 and Kirby Whitten. Say at 11:30. Do some backroads around the area then head on over to That Buffett Place at Stage(64) and Elmore Park behind Bank of America and then go over to the Bartlett Neighborhood Lifeblood Center is Located at 7505 Highway 64, Bartlettt, TN 901-384-9898.

If you can't make it on the ride. Please Make a Choice to Give!!! God Bless

OldSalt
aka JR

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
Jr make me a maybe , will see how the house repairs go But this sounds like a doable thing

·
Old Goat
26,217 Posts
God bless for what your doing, unfortunately I cant give as somewhere in my past I got a touch of hep. C. have a good one

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
With the Rain moving in going to bump to another day

Due to the rain will try to do this another day in the future. Tricia and I are still going to go give. Going to get lunch go give blood then go to a movie.

Please give if you can. Life Blood is at an Emergency LOW!!!

OldSalt aka JR:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
I worked at life blood for 3 years, I was a Team Leader on the mobile blood drives. I only left because I wanted back on an Ambulance(I am an EMT). I do give blood regularly. (I am picky about who sticks me though as I did train some of them, lol). Just so you all know Life blood is always at a critically low. We use more blood in the Memphis area than just about any other area in the U.S. (per capita percentage wise, but we are like 8th or 9th for total usage) We used to get alot of blood out of New Orleans and Houston but the Hurricans in the last couple years killed that. Red Cross will not sell their blood to Lifeblood for the Memphis area because they want the Memphis hospital contracts and they are all signed with Lifeblood.

When Lifeblood announces publicly a "Critical" low it is becaue O neg is down to a 1-3 day supply. We usually only stay at about 6 days worth of this type. EVERYONE can recieve O neg and it is used in emergency situations until the patients blood can be typed.

I have O neg and am also CMV neg so my blood almost always goes to LeBohner for the pediatric emergencies. So I always try to give every 56 days.

Just remember it takes 30-45 minutes of your time to donate so plan accordingly. Also, Bartlett is one of the busiest offices so expect a wait there. Not trying to discourage just do not like seeing people going in and thinking they will be out in 10 minutes. Also, if you seved in the military or were on a military base in Europe in the 80's or 90's you may not be able to give, please go check with the staff at the lifeblood office before sitting through the long interview process so you do not waste yours or their time. THIS DOES NOT MEAN YOU CAN NOT GIVE JUST THAT YOU MAY NOT BE ABLE TO. Ask about it first. This goes for Tattoo's in the last 12 months, going out of the country to anywhere in the last 12 months, or getting with a hooker in the last 12 months (had to throw that in because you never know, lol). You get the picture. If you have any reason to think you might not be able to give then ask the staff and they will let you know. PLEASE do not assume you can not give just go ask or call them and ask.

PLEASE remember to eat a health meal before donating and be hydrated. Drink lots of water starting a few days before you plan on donating and lay off the caffiene the day of the donation. This helps with the size of your veins and makes it alot easier for the tech to find and stick your vein. Also makes it easier on you physically and will not pinch as bad when they stick you. Snacks and drinks provided after the donation, lol. (none of the drinks are alcoholic so do not ask, lol)

If anyone has any questions about the process or anything to do with Lifeblood please feel free to ask me. If I do not know I can find out or tell you where to call to find the answer.

As said before... GET OFF YOUR BUTT AND GO DONATE!!!!

Dec. 1-Feb 28 and June 1-Aug. 31 are always really slow times for Lifeblood and blood only keeps for 30 days. Please go this week and donate. I donated 1 week before Christmas.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Falcon

Thanks for the additional input. I didn't realize though that a bunch of us that served accros the UK and Europe might not be able to give if we spent a certain amount of time in that area. I would have thought that those of us in the Asia area would have been at Higher risk. The Mad Cow thing really had me shaking my head. Then to here that they can't test the blood for it. I do plan to get myself better informed.

Thanks again. I've put it on my task list as an alarm that goes off every 60 days to go give.

Oldsalt

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
The only test I have ever heard of for MadCow is to test brain tissue. Since that can not be done on living people or animals then it stays a guessing game untill they figure a way out. That is why it is so high on the CDC's list of bad diseases.

Like I said before ask before assuming you can not donate. Certain cancers and diseases that permanently disqualified donors a few years ago no longer do. So for those who were told years ago you would never be able to donate you can ask and you might be able to now. You might have to go to the doctor to get a clean bill of health or go to Lifeblood for a blood test but it is possible. Heart attcaks, cancers, and such have different criteria than they used to. Never hurts to call and ask.

NEVER ASSUME YOU CAN NOT DONATE!!!! Just call or stop by.

WOW!! I did not realize I could still be passionate about this. Had some bad feelings about certain things when I left LifeBlood.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, Maybe Our Typing will get a few more to Try

For Falcon:thumbup:!!!! Thanks for your comments. And The Passion Of Life. They Are Saved One At A Time. No You Haven't Forgotten!!!! Thanks Again.

Oldsalt

1 - 8 of 8 Posts