Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Karen and I had an incident today around 1:15 in Stratham with the F6B. We were stopped at a stop sign getting ready to make a right hand turn onto Rte 108. I'm waiting for traffic from my left to clear. Without warning, we were rear-ended by a Ford Fusion. We were pushed forward and the front end of the bike went straight up in the air maybe 3 or 4 feet. Karen was held in by the Ultimate Seat backrest. Remind me to write them a letter.

Fortunately, the bike came down fairly straight and I was able to keep it up without toppling over. I can just hear her scream at the point of impact. After securing the bike I jumped off and gave her the biggest hug that I could and to see if she was ok. She was upset, shaken by it and a little sore. A trip to the doc and x-ray showed that it was more muscular than skeletal. She'll be tender for the near future but hopefully nothing more.

The lady driving the Ford was looking to her left for an opening in the traffic to also make a right turn. So, she was going to roll through the stop sign if there was a hole in the oncoming traffic. My bike prevented that from happening. Just another case of someone not paying attention. Could have been very different with a change in any number of factors.

No matter how defensive you try to be, you just can't hide from some of these people.

We'll see what the damage is to the bike once I can get it down to Naults. I tied everything that was hanging on the left side of the bike and rode it home. It seems to be tracking a little differently. Hopefully there's no frame issues.

All in all, we were very lucky with the outcome.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Holy crap! We're so glad you two are ok. I can't believe you were able to keep the bike upright. Hopefully this won't sour Karen's desire to ride with you. I hope the car operator pays the price.
Thanks for keeping us posted. We'll check in here to watch your recovery.
Thinking of you.
Linda and Dave

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Dad just called me and told me what happened. Glad it wasn't more serious then the outcome you had. Bike can be replaced. Loved ones can't. Give Karen a big hug for us. What time you headed to Naults? I still need my inspection done.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure Dan. I have the oil tech coming to clean my furnace around noon or 1:00

May not be until Tuesday. But have an electrician coming to give me a quote on Tuesday too. Yikes!

Dave and Linda: Thanks guys. Karen understands and we hope to do more.

Most of the damage is on the left side. If the frame is involved, I presume they'd total it. But not after I take my Ultimate Seat and stuff off and bring it back to stock. We were extremely fortunate.

The lady's speed, oncoming traffic, proximaty to the dirt shoulder of the road, the angle of impact are all things that could have turn this badly.

Hmmmmmm! Maybe that loud pipes thing could have kept her aware we were in front of her.

The bike with passengers probably weighed in at 1,200 lbs. To get that front end in the air took some doing.

We were watched over. Amen!

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
So very happy to hear everything is ok..I know how scary it can be..

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
He sure was

Glad to hear you 2 are alright, bumps and bruises can heal, and the bike can be repaired. Just happy is was not a lot worse. Let us know hows things go. Hope to see you on the road sometime soon.

Steve#3 8)

·
Registered
21 Posts
WOW! Glad your ok, I always worry about that.

Hey all,

Karen and I had an incident today around 1:15 in Stratham with the F6B. We were stopped at a stop sign getting ready to make a right hand turn onto Rte 108. I'm waiting for traffic from my left to clear. Without warning, we were rear-ended by a Ford Fusion. We were pushed forward and the front end of the bike went straight up in the air maybe 3 or 4 feet. Karen was held in by the Ultimate Seat backrest. Remind me to write them a letter.

Fortunately, the bike came down fairly straight and I was able to keep it up without toppling over. I can just hear her scream at the point of impact. After securing the bike I jumped off and gave her the biggest hug that I could and to see if she was ok. She was upset, shaken by it and a little sore. A trip to the doc and x-ray showed that it was more muscular than skeletal. She'll be tender for the near future but hopefully nothing more.

The lady driving the Ford was looking to her left for an opening in the traffic to also make a right turn. So, she was going to roll through the stop sign if there was a hole in the oncoming traffic. My bike prevented that from happening. Just another case of someone not paying attention. Could have been very different with a change in any number of factors.

No matter how defensive you try to be, you just can't hide from some of these people.

We'll see what the damage is to the bike once I can get it down to Naults. I tied everything that was hanging on the left side of the bike and rode it home. It seems to be tracking a little differently. Hopefully there's no frame issues.

All in all, we were very lucky with the outcome.
Some people are in too much of a hurry to pay attention! every other time I go out there is some bone head doing something dumb, like pulling out in front of me or passing me on a double line or passing me in my lane! and I ride at or close to the speed limit. and there is ever a cop around to see it.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for your well wishes.

I'll keep you posted.

Steve, Karen and I are dying to get a group ride together. Right now Naults Thunder ride is probably off the table. Hopefully the bike is fixed or replaced for the Texas Roadhouse

·
Registered
790 Posts
I flash my brake lights

This is the very reason that when I am sitting at a red light, I tap my brakes and thus flash my rear brake light. I am always wary that some idiot is going to plow right into me from behind due to not paying attention.
Everybody in the club is glad that you two are okay.

Billy

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Billy: You never can be safe enough. All we can try to do is control what we can. So many scenarios that we can't imagine much less prepare for.

I'm not riding like a 17 year old. I'm always keeping my eyes open, even more so with Karen onboard.

At Naults now getting the estimate worked up.

Stay safe all

·
Registered
131 Posts
Glad you're ok Steve. I'm really hoping this new hands-free law in NH sticks and people start getting busted for not paying attention. Not that it was a factor in your case, but it can only help increase safety for everyone on the roads.

Dom

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Glad ya'll weren't hurt worse! That could have been terrible!!

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
Rolling up to a stop sign to turn right can be a very dangerous situation. If you stop and roll forward to keep an eye on thru traffic to your left, I have quite often seen the car behind take you forward movement as meaning you are gone and themselves turn to the left and if the way is clear, roll through the stop line or accelerate in to stopped mc or car ahead and later say they thought it had left.

Glad you're OK and thank Him!

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Seems like I never get to this page anymore. Steve and Karen, I'm glad you guys are ok. Do you have a bell on the bike? What's the news from Naults?

·
Registered
790 Posts
Safety is job 1

Hey Billy: You never can be safe enough. All we can try to do is control what we can. So many scenarios that we can't imagine much less prepare for.

I'm not riding like a 17 year old. I'm always keeping my eyes open, even more so with Karen onboard.

At Naults now getting the estimate worked up.

Stay safe all

Yes, Steve! One can never be too safe. I have a set of auxiliary driving lights on my bike made by Custom Dynamics. "Cool Magic" they are called. They are small, extremely bright, and they stay cool. They are LEDs, not halogen. Available in silver or black. Really nice. Check out their websight (link below) Had them wired in to my main headlight bucket at HK Powersports in Hooksett. They charged me less than $50 to do the job for me. PS - are we going back to Martha's Vinyard soon? That was a really cool ride!!!

http://www.customdynamics.com/

VicBilly
2015 Victory Gunner (Suede Titanium Metallic): Victory “Performance” Stage 1 kit: (Straights exhaust pipes, Victory Hi-Flow airfilter), Victory analog tachometer, Victory chrome highway bar, Victory Lock& Ride Low Fly windscreen, Victory Two-Up luggage rack, Victory keylockhelmet hanger, Arlen Ness custom finned engine covers, Custom Dynamics “CoolMagic” LED driving spotlights.
Gone:
2014 HarleyDavidson Sportster Iron 883
2007 HondaVTX1800F3
2007 HondaVTX1300C
2007 HondaShadow 600VLX DeLuxe

Attachments

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Glad to see you two were able to stay upright and avoid some more serious injuries,this picture shows my Saturday and I can only imagine what would've happened if I was on the bike. The truck in front of him cut me off so he assumed there was plenty of room for him to get out even though he could not see the oncoming traffic around the parked Bob store truck I had no time to react.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts

1 - 20 of 28 Posts