Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend and myself are going to Sturgis for the first time (yes, that's right, we're virgins) and are renting bikes in Denver on Saturday before the rally.

We want to use Sat and Sun to ride and see the sights and were just wondering if some of you vets have a favorite route.

Thanks for the help ahead of time.

Dan

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
DangitDan said:
A friend and myself are going to Sturgis for the first time (yes, that's right, we're virgins) and are renting bikes in Denver on Saturday before the rally.

We want to use Sat and Sun to ride and see the sights and were just wondering if some of you vets have a favorite route.

Dan

Well, if I was planning the route and wanted to see the sights... I'd do it something like this:

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
GnA said:
DangitDan said:

Dan

Well, if I was planning the route and wanted to see the sights... I'd do it something like this:

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Or, were you talking about local routes, before you head up to Sturgis??? :wink:

·
Registered
983 Posts
DangitDan said:

Dan
That is one great route that GnA posted. Folks in a hurry would use I-25 north to the Lusk turn off then US-85 to Sturgis. Someone who likes a little traveled 2 lane road would take US-85 all the way, nice small towns with funky little cafes like the Longbranch in Hawk Springs Wy. about an hour north of Cheyenne biker friendly. Any route you take get fuel often because there can be 80 or more miles between stations and often don't have credit card readers that are open 24 hrs. Approx 440 miles. I've ridden 85 a few dozen times, no potholes, some scenery and bluffs, watch out for Antelope this is where they play! My lil town is halfway between Denver and Sturgis. But if you really want a great ride take Georges map. http://map.wyoroad.info/construction/index.htmlhere's the road construction link for Wyoming. Have a fun ride. Cya, Lep

·
Registered
983 Posts
oops, maybe you meant routes while you were there? Last year daughter and I went up the week after the rally and enjoyed a lap of the Black Hills National Forest/Custer State Park entry fee required, for one day. For the second day and trip home we went west to Devils Tower and did the hike around it, some brave folks climb it then headed south to US-85 for home. Hulett is a lil town north of Devils Tower, good food and biker friendly. I hope you have a place to stay lined up it'll be very busy even the week before the rally. Have a time, Lep

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
If you take 85, make sure you get gas everytime you see a pump! I ran out last year on the way home from Coloradical. Had about a 25mph headwind, 2 up, pulling a trailer and the bike shut down at 85 miles :shock: Good thing I had a couple of extra gallons on the trailer :D It is a nice relaxing road, very little traffic and rolls along nicely.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Everybody,

We are still trying to figure out what we can realistically do in a day's travel (with the wives on the back).

I do appreciate all the ideas.

Dang It

1 - 7 of 7 Posts