1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Old Goat
25,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
No helmet law here in Pa. Unfortunately, a church friend on his trike was involved in a serious accident the other night, he's in ICU with a brain bleed. IDK if he was bucketed or not.

Reactions: SUMDATX

·
Registered
127 Posts
I saw a guy on his bike wearing a helmet (good), his other gear was shorts and flip flops...Good gawd ! My sister is a trauma nurse (head injuries). She says arms,legs can usually be repaired, head no so much. I wear the brain bucket.

·
Premium Member
6,777 Posts
So do they just pull everyone without a helmet over and check their health insurance, or do they wait until someone scribbles and then add insult to injury?

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Ranger, Prayers out to your friend. Rough. All the best toward his recovery. For the record; I wear a helmet no matter what the local laws are. I been down, more than once (50 years of riding). You would not want to see what the 3/4 helmet I had on looked like afterward. My beloved late wife always told me I had a thick skull. Butternut squash compared to road impact. Not preaching.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I saw a guy on his bike wearing a helmet (good), his other gear was shorts and flip flops...Good gawd ! My sister is a trauma nurse (head injuries). She says arms,legs can usually be repaired, head no so much. I wear the brain bucket.
Agreed the human brain when involved in a accident with a serious blow to the head, there may be permanent damage that cannot heal. I also believe in wearing a full face helmet, not a skull helmet. The second part of the body that needs to be protected is the face in a motorcycle accident. Image living your life with a disfigured face. How it will affect your relationship, marriage, friendships, occupation and everything in life. People would turn away when they look at you.

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
So do they just pull everyone without a helmet over and check their health insurance, or do they wait until someone scribbles and then add insult to injury?
Missouri helmet laws are interesting. Riding without a helmet will get you a $25 fine (plus court costs). Riding with a non-DOT certified helmet is $100, plus court costs.
Mostly, these citations are written when the rider gets pulled over for something a bit more serious.

I assume that the new helmet law (Aug 28th) will be administered in a similar fashion.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
So riding with nothing at all is cheaper than riding with a non-certified helmet?
Sorry, I need much more coffee before I can even try to make sense out of that.

·
Registered
17 Posts
So riding with nothing at all is cheaper than riding with a non-certified helmet?
I get it. Wearing a non-certified helmet implies intent to deceive....like, you are TRYING to get away with something. The law always hits that intent harder than doing nothing.

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
Meh. A lot of riders were wearing those "brain buckets" - "skid lids", etc. Little more that a turtle shell with nothing inside. And they still do.
The Missouri legislature decided a $100 fine + costs might discourage the use of non-DOT-certified helmets.
....... you get pulled over for some sort of traffic violation and they add this to the tab. -or- at a "safety checkpoint"

How are they going to apply this new law? I have no clue. Time will tell.

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Helmets look cool, (if you get the right one) they protect your brain, they protect your face from being hit by bugs and they protect your ears from wind/noise fatigue. Why someone would choose to ride without one is beyond me. In past debates about pros/cons of mandatory use laws the pattern seems to be those who hate being told to wear a helmet are typically clueless to the fact that their death— or more likely lifelong disabilities—affect others, even outside of immediate family. If riders are willing to pay high insurance to be reckless at least they aren't burdening other insurers with inflated rates to pay for their lack of personal protection choices.

·
Registered
917 Posts
There was no helmet law here in CA when I arrived in the spring of '91. I rode around locally, running errands and what not, didn't like the feeling of being exposed. And don't even get me started on the sunburning of the top of my head. I went on to have a serious accident in '16 when I was wearing the half-helmet, and am glad I was.

That said: I bought a great street bicycle once, and when the salesperson quoted $100 for the helmet I said,"to hell with that". I promptly had an accident on the streets of Studio City and let me tell you, I would have paid $1000 for a helmet that day!

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
The noise (wind) is a major factor. I run the squishy foam plugs under my 3/4 helmet. Too many years of too much noise. I'm careful now, cause it sucks! Note to younger readers/riders; protect your hearing.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
I pay no attention to helmet laws. I'm a ATGATT, well 99.9% of my miles. But not in my younger days.

However, at a fuel stop if I take off my hemet while fueling I will move my MC from the pump without my helmet if i am going inside.

In Michigan a few years ago a highway patrol chewed me out for that action. At the time there was a helmet law there and he informed me it meant a helmet must be on even in a parking lot to move the MC under power 1 foot. I thought he was joking at first since we were from the Republic of Texas. He let us know he could give a ticket but did not.

We later chatted with him. He was OK. Probably checking our reaction to see if he needed to take further action.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I spent many years Motocross racing, I agree always wear a good helmet. Seen too many riders down and getting run over head, middle body, legs etc. ATGATT is the best for me.
Where I live we just had a sport bike rider die due to not wearing a helmet when he was hit by a car. The report stated if he had a helmet he most likely would have lived. Not preaching either just my two cents.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts