Honda VTX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
UPDATE - Hankook Ventus V4 ES - 5/16/14

Mileage - 18,884

Rear tire update - Over 3,000 miles on the Hankook Ventus V4 ES and it still looks new. It is by far the best car tire I have used on a bike. It rides smooth, handles well and sticks to the road.

Tested the tire on the May 2014 ride to Slay the Dragon. Plenty of different roads and twisties to test the tire. Just the road to the cabin was a challenge with all the turns and steep incline.
10353103_10202055340005220_7835976783050648546_n.jpg
Works so well Harry next door has put one on his Gold Wing. We are now both running the same size and model tires front and rear - Double Darkside.
10277510_830519763625136_7251427282380762459_n.jpg
FYI - Stock tire sizes for the Gold Wing, VTX 1800C and Victory Cross Country Tour are all the same size - Front 130/70/18 and rear 180/60/16. Just thought I would share.

Back to riding............

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Oil Changed - 6/6/14

Mileage - 20,333

Changed oil today. Used 4.5 quarts of Rotella 5W-40 Synthetic. Had a gallon jug from last year and bought a quart at Wal-mart.

Did not use the motorcycle lift. Just set the pan under the bike and let it drain.

Filter is a Bosch 3323. Re-used the crush washer - still in good shape.

Note to self - put dipstick in before starting bike to allow oil to flow to filter. I have sprayed the west garage wall with oil spots. :yikes:

Took used oil, old brake fluid and Charger's power steering fluid to Wal-mart to dispose of properly.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Handle Bars raised 2 inches - 6/10/14 and 6/11/14 Push Rod Bolt

Mileage - 20,394

Read about adjusting the handle bars on a Victory web site. Just loosed 2 allen bolts - 6mm - under the bars. Did not need to remove the fairing.

Move the bars up about 2 inches. Felt good.

Had to adjust the clutch and front brake levers on the bars which also adjusted the mirrors.

When the rain stops in Missouri, take a little test ride.

I have read that higher bars have been better for most riders back pain and fatigue issues.

6/11/14 - Replaced push rod bolt on lower right swing arm

Noticed over the past few days some bottoming out while hitting bumps, especially riding two up. Today, I heard a high pitched squeal at speeds over 30 mph with engine on or off. When I got home I climbed under the Victory to see the push rod bolt on the right side rubbing the drive belt (reason for squeal). I took a wrench to the bolt and it came out leaving the other still in the bushing. Also noticed that one of the two bushing was on the outside of the housing for the bushing. This may have been done in error on the last tire change by myself or one of my helpers.

I ran up to Charlie's (local hardware/farm store) and purchased a new flange bolt and nut for under $5.00. Had a little bit of a time trying to get the push rod over the busing and lined up to allow the bolt to pass through. Got it....

Took a little test spin - all felt good. Found a few bumps to test the travel of the shock - no bottoming out or rubbing. Happy, Happy, Happy.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Tourmaster windshield bag installed - 6/12/14

Mileage - 20,400

Ordered a Tourmaster windshield bag from LeatherUp yesterday and it arrived today.

It was not made specifically for a Victory but installed on the windshield mounts on the fairing by drilling two holes in the bags.

Now I have storage for things needed while riding. Here is a picture installed.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Saddle Bag Rails installed - 07/31/2014

Mileage - 23,269

Purchased the Victory Saddle Bag Rails via FaceBook Victory site. Paid $207 including shipping. New from Victory is $350.00.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Clutch cable lube - 9/15/14............... New Seat (Factory Warranty) - 9/5/14

Mileage - 24,395

9-15-14

Ran across a video on the Victory Facebook page on how to do maintenance to the clutch cable that are prone to premature failure. Went out to Charlies hardware and picked up some Lithium Grease for the job - $4.

Follwed the intructions on the video - The clutch cable on the video was a little different than the one on my XCT. Maybe why the failure is not seen as much on the XCT as the other Victory bikes.

Removed chrome cable cover (accessory - not stock), used channel locks to take tension off cable to remove lower cable end near rear passenger foot peg. Then remove pivot bolt and screw on clutch lever, be careful not to drop bushing out when removing clutch lever. Remove lever and took cable out of lever. Both the lower and upper end of the cable have a plastic sleeve attached to the barrel that pivots on the end of the cable.

Cleaned all areas where the cable and lever mounts with brake cleaner (covered the tank and other painted areas to keep the cleaner off the paint).

Grease the pivot points and bolts with a light coating of Lithium grease. Reassembled and cleaned off any excess grease. Process took less than an hour with prep and clean up.

On 9-5-14
- Went to Munganest Motorsports to have the seat replaced. Took them less than 1/2 hour to install the replacement seat under warranty. The original seat had two small tears develop at the sewn seam near the tank.

I noticed this and did not give it much thought until I read on Facebook other Victory owners had the same issue and were getting the seats replaced under warranty by Victory. I had to ride to the dealer 1 week before the seat was replaced for them to take pictures and send a claim to Victory. One guy stated he had three seats replaced under warranty.

The dealer asked if there were any changes or improvements made to the seat to address the issue and Victory said "No". I will be watching the seat to see if it starts to tear again. It appears the seam is more under the seat and closer to the tank on this new seat compared to the old seat. But that could be from riding on the old seat pulling the seam away from the tank.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Oil Changed - 10/20/14 and Belt Adjusted - 10/21/14

Mileage - 25,201

Changed oil today. Used 4.5 quarts of Rotella 5W-40 Synthetic. Purchased a gallon at Menard's for $21.36 with a $5.00 mail in rebate. Used 1/2 quart purchased for the June oil change with it.

Did not use the motorcycle lift. Just set the pan under the bike and let it drain.

Filter is a Bosch 3323 ($6.99). Replaced the crush washer - Note - Need to buy more crush washers.

Mike P. showed up to aerate the grass during the oil change. So did some multi-tasking today. Harry's lawn and mine.

Took used oil and filter to O'Reilly Auto Parts for proper disposal.

Belt Adjustment

Mileage - 25.222

Had a little chirping when I would first head out on the bike. Adjusted the drive belt today to stop the chirping. It was a little off center and the left side adjustment bolt was loose.
Also noticed some wear marks on the wheel pulley between the teeth. May be from some debris that got on the belt or in the pulley.

Purchased the two 4" dryer vents at Menard's ($1.97 each) to replace the ones installed in the exhaust tips last year to stop the exhaust from leaking before the end of the pipes. They leak due to the Atom Bomb exhaust not having the extended tail pipes like the stock exhaust. To be installed later this year.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Front Fender Rail Accent installed - 10/31/14

Mileage - 25,490

Purchased a Victory Front Fender Rail Accent that I found for sale on the Victory Facebook page. Retails for $139 to $179 on eBay to Victory Motorcycle web pages. Paihttp://www.vtxoa.com/forums/newreply.php?p=5205050&noquote=1d $60.00 on Facebook. Did not come with the bolts. Called the dealer and emailed Victory customer service to get the correct size bolt. Dealer did not know and Victory answered me after I did trial and error at the hardware store. Found stainless steel hex bolts and washers at Lowe's for under $4.00.

The bolts size I found and used was M6x1.00x16mm. Received Victory's email reply on bolt size and they stated M6x1.00x12mm.

Harry helped with the install. We had a problem with one bolt hole and had to tap the hole to get the bolt to go in straight.

Looks good - what do you think?

Need to find a rear fender rail accent at a discount now.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Rear Fender Rail Accent - 11/16/14

Mileage - 25,750

Found the Rear Fender Rail Accent on eBay for $69.99 + $15 shipping. Retail at Victory is $179.00. Saved a few dollars.

Came with four mounting bolts and nuts. Found some lock washers in the tool box. Installed today with a dab of blue thread lock.

Here are a few photo's -

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Repaired Flat Rear Tire - 12/12/14

Mileage - 26,023

Attempted to ride the bike to work yesterday afternoon. Started it to warm it up, put on the helmet and gloves, sat on the seat and pushed back - it would not move. It was like I had a parking brake on. Got off, looked at the front then under the bike and back - there it was - rear tire flat as a pancake. It's hard to move 900lbs by foot on a flat tire.

Took the car to work and when I returned yesterday evening, put the bike on the jack, shifted to neutral and started spinning the tire - found a nail head in the right side of the treads.

So today, after looking up the mileage on the tire (10,300+ purchased in April 2014) decided to do a quick fix since winter is coming and I'll have time to order a new tire and install before spring. Thinking of going with the Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D DSST RunOnFlat ($143 today at TireRack).

Took the pliers and started to pull the nail out of the tire. It took more effort than I thought from the little nail head seen in the tire. Here it is:

Maybe this will give you a better idea of it's size:

That thing was 3 inches with a bend in it..... Contractors need to keep those things at the job site and not in the roadways.

I will watch for a sale on that Dunlop and pick it up this winter to get ready for the 2015 riding season.... thats only because 2014 is ending - I'm still riding on all the dry days with temps above 32 degrees..........

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Victory High Performance Air Filter, New Rear tire & wheel - 01/19/15

Mileage - 26,241

Victory High Performance Air Filter:

In December, ordered a Victory High Performance Air Filter to replace the stock air filter. Debated getting the Lloydz Air Filter but it recommended having a fuel/air management system. Found the Victory filter on eBay for $47.99 and free shipping. Dealer price is $60.00 for this filter. It is a reusable filter than can be cleaned and oiled using the K&N cleaning system.

Replaced the stock air filter today with the Victory High Performance Air Filter. Not a hard job. But after removing the seat and the gas tank, found it to be very dirty with small rocks and road grime, mostly under the seat. Cleaned it all up while changing the filter. Cleaned the chrome cylinder heads while the tank was off.

Filter test ride update:

Took a test ride in the 57 degree weather today and Victory seems to respond and run better. Feels like a slight power increase since changing the filter. This is GREAT!

Rear Wheel, brake rotor, sprocket and tire assembly:

Also, purchased a used rear wheel with m/c tire, brake rotor and drive sprocket as a spare for $300 = $70 shipping. The entire package from the dealer is over $1,000. This set up has only 3,000 miles on it. The previous owner triked his 2013 XCT. Got it to have a tire mounted and ready for when it's needed - like a spare tire. I may try to sell the m/c tire for $100 - it's a Dunlop E3 size 180/60/16 - let me know if your interested - fits VTX 1800, Goldwing and Victory's.

New rear car tire purchased but not installed - Dunlop 195/55R-16 SP Winter Sport 3D DSST RunOnFlat:

Purchased a new rear car tire from Tire Rack due to the nail in the current tire (Hankook Ventus V4 ES) in December. Will replace before any planned long trip this year. I am still looking to get a few more miles out of the current tire. The new tire is a Dunlop 195/55R-16 SP Winter Sport 3D DSST RunOnFlat. Cost was $142 + $15 shipping.

Plan to get a good cleaning and polish done during the colder weather. Come on spring........ looking forward to riding.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
New Rear Tire Mount on new rear wheel but not on bike yet - 03/14/15

No mileage update since wheel/tire is not installed on bike yet.

Harry and mounted the new car tire on the wheel recently acquired. See descriptions below.

Mounting took a little effort due to the run flat characteristics of the hard side wall. Also, put in a Kurvey Girl valve stem (borrowed from Harry). Need to get some balancing beads installed before mounting wheel and tire on the bike.Reminder - Order a Kurvey Girl valve stem to replace the one Harry gave me.
Hear are the details on the items acquired and mounted.

Rear Wheel, brake rotor, sprocket and tire assembly:

Also, purchased a used rear wheel with m/c tire, brake rotor and drive sprocket as a spare for $300 = $70 shipping. The entire package from the dealer is over $1,000. This set up has only 3,000 miles on it. The previous owner triked his 2013 XCT. Got it to have a tire mounted and ready for when it's needed - like a spare tire. I may try to sell the m/c tire for $100 - it's a Dunlop E3 size 180/60/16 - let me know if your interested - fits VTX 1800, Goldwing and Victory's.

New rear car tire purchased but not installed - Dunlop 195/55R-16 SP Winter Sport 3D DSST RunOnFlat:

Purchased a new rear car tire from Tire Rack due to the nail in the current tire (Hankook Ventus V4 ES) in December. Will replace before any planned long trip this year. I am still looking to get a few more miles out of the current tire. The new tire is a Dunlop 195/55R-16 SP Winter Sport 3D DSST RunOnFlat. Cost was $142 + $15 shipping.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
New Xentec HID Headlight bulbs installed - 4/12/15

Mileage - 27, 287

Purchase a set of Xentec 9006 9005 HID Xenon KIT Headlight Conversion Slim Ballast H11 H4 White 6000K on eBay for $30.00 shipping included.

Description on eBays says installs in about 15 minutes. I had it working in 15 minutes but it took a little longer to get the ballasts mount securely in the fairing. They doe seem a little brighter than the stock bulbs (which sell for $24.95 each onf the Victory web site).

Need darkness to take a test ride.

Here the description from eBay:

The Newest XENTEC HID Xenon Conversion kit comes with everything you need to upgrade your car, motorcycle, RV, truck, or off-road vehicle to the reliability and brightness of HID technology! Once installed, you will instantly notice increased visibility while driving at night. Increased safety, longer lasting, brighter bulbs, and a beautiful new look for your vehicle all in one affordable package!
So what comes in an XENTEC HID Kit?​

• Two (2) XENTEC HID Xenon Bulbs
    Bulb Size/Type is base on your selection​
  • Two (2) XENTEC 35w Digital Slim HID Ballasts​
  • Universal Installation Kit​
  • Installation Manual
    - Some vehicles require relay / canceller special installation (NOT INCLUDED)​
  • 2-Year Manufacturer's Warranty directly from us!
Specifications:

• E4 and ISO-9001:2000 Approved.
  • 100% Plug-and-Play
  • 100% digital ballasts: current management by an onboard CPU to prevent any damage to your vehicle
  • Lifespan 10x longer than standard halogen​
  • Brightness 5x greater than standard halogen​
  • All parts are tested before final packaging to maintain Quality Assurance!​
Here are a few photos from the install:

The Kit:

The mess of wires - no need to remove fairing just the chrome bezel and light housing:

No locking tabs on the ballast - so I used a couple zip ties to hold the wires in the ballast:

The ballast mounted on the amplifier with power wire and new bulb wire (cable type wire):

The BRIGHT new light on in the garage:

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
New antenna - 4/23/15

Mileage - 27,500

The 8" shorty antenna was not providing good reception. Purchased a 17" retractable antenna at Autozone for $14.99. It does reach out past the rear fender now seems to work better but still have some reception issues for some stations.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
New Rear tire mounted on Victory - 5/31/15

Mileage - 29,029

Mounted the new tire - Dunlop 195/55R-16 SP Winter Sport 3D DSST RunOnFlat. Cost was $142 + $15 shipping. Bought back in January 2015 and mounted to the spare rear wheel in March 2015.

Started the install myself and Harry showed up to help. Sure glad he did. I had the old tire off but it was a little more difficult putting the new one on with all the lining up of the spacer, belt adjusters and brake caliper. Used the wood dowel to help line up the brake caliper side while pushing the axle threw the drive belt side.

Running 35 psi since 40 psi wore out the center of the Hankook early. Harry brought me over 3 ounces of dyna beads. Used the nasal rinse tube to put them in the tire and it was the quickest way we used to get them in the tire so far.

Here is where I was at when Harry showed up:

Here is the old tire and new tire - I was expecting 20,000+ miles out of the Hankook but got 13,348.

Here it is all done:

PS - Need new rear brakes ASAP. Will try to pads from dealer on Monday to put in before ride to Branson next weekend.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Oil Changed - 6/1/15 and Brake pads ordered

Mileage - 29,035

Changed oil as we are getting ready for a long weekend trip.

Oil is Shell Rotella T5, 15w-40, semi-synthetic. Cost was $19.99 for a gallon from the farm store in Troy, MO. Also, used a filter from Rural King that was on sale but same size as the Bosch 3323. Replaced crush washer with a copper type.

Need to order new aluminum crush washers from Honda. Also need some more moly paste for the rear axle.

Reminder - Rural King has the Rotella T5 - save the drive/ride to Troy, Mo.

Drive Belt adjusted
Adjusted drive belt again after yesterday's tire replacement. Belt was a little tight after riding and warmed up. Loosened the adjusters 1.5 turn each and now there is about 1 inch slack in belt. 1" to 1.25" is acceptable.

Brake pads ordered - 5/31/15

As noticed in the tire change - rear brake pads were almost gone. Found EBC brake pad numbers on buywitchdoctors web site. Found that shipping would be quicker from Amazon and price was about $5 cheaper at Amazon vs Witchdoctors. Order the rear pads and the two sets that are required for the front. Should arrive Tuesday or Wednesday. I will definitely install the rear pads and if time the front before the trip this weekend.

Brake Part numbers are:

Rear - EBC FA196HH Sintered Copper Alloy Disc Brake Pad $32.77
Front - EBC FA347HH Disc Brake Pad set (2 sets needed) $28.16 x 2 = $56.32

Total = $89.09 (Free Shipping)

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
New Rear Brake Pads installed - 6/2/15

Mileage 29,053

Rear brake pads arrived today from Amazon.

Watched witchdoctors 11 minute video and it seems easy to follow to replace the pads. No need to remove the wheel or brake caliper. Just one bolt/pin to remove. Do not need to remove the spring that puts pressure on the pads.

Used brake cleaner to clean up the brake caliper. I had to put a little penetrate on the bolt holding the pads in place. Pushed pistons in with screw driver with old pads in caliper. Pushed both top and bottom pistons to give plenty of room for those thick new pads. Old pads worn paper thin. Only half wear bar on outside pad, could still see three wear bars on inside pad.

Old pads came right out. Put new pads in. Had to play with inside pad to get the bottom to seat properly. Pumped the rear brake pedal which did not take much do to the thick new pads.

Whole process took about 15 minutes.

Again, rear brake pad number is:

Rear - EBC FA196HH Sintered Copper Alloy Disc Brake Pad - cost $32.77

Front pads should arrive tomorrow. Already watched witchdoctors video on installing front pads. Just need to do it twice - once on each side of the front dual rotors.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
New Front Brake Pads installed - 6/3/15

Mileage - 29.108

Rear brake pads arrived while I was at softball. Harry sent me a text during the game they arrived.

Brake Part numbers are:

Front - EBC FA347HH Disc Brake Pad set (2 sets needed) $28.16 x 2 = $56.32

Got home about 8pm and Harry, Julie and Cindy were sitting in the drive way. I said "Good, my mechanic is still here."

Watched the witchdoctors video earlier in the day to see how to change the brake pads. Once allen bolt to remove and a spring. Be careful to note how the spring sat on the pads.

Grabbed the wrenches, screw driver, small bucket, brake cleaner and new pads. Pushed back the old pads and pistons with the screw driver. Used the allen head socket to remove the pin holding the brake pads in. Pulled the pin and the spring "shot" out. Good thing I watched that witchdoctor video earlier in the day. After removing the old pads, had to push the pistons in even further due to the thickness of the new pads. Old pads were worn about 90% - could still see the wear lines on all the old pads.

The old pads had a heat shield clip on the back side that we removed and placed on the new pads. Installed the new pads. They just slide right in if you have the pistons pushed in all the way. Used the brake cleaner to clean up the caliper and pistons before installing the new pads.

The pads and spring are held in place with the allen bolt. The pads may move lower (due to gravity) in the caliper and you just need to move them up to line up with the allen bolt path. No need to over tighten the allen bolt. The pads are held in place and float on the bolt.

Both sides of the front rotor took less than 30 minutes to complete. A fairly simple job........

PS - Don't forget to pump your brake lever until firm or that first ride may be an adventure. :yikes:

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Taillight Top Trim - 6/4/15 and Lloydz Adjustable Timing Gear & Gasket - 6/9/15

Mileage - 29,200 for Taillight Top Trim

Mileage - 29,900 for Lloydz Adjustable Timeing Gear & Gasket

Order the the following three items from Witchdoctors (via Doug W) and they arrived on 6/4/15. Only had time to install the Taillight Top Trim on 6/4/15.

Item #PWR-PP1
ProductTiming Gear & Gasket Power Package
Retail$161.98
Head Hunter$154.98 (Save $7.00)

Item #HOH-HR1
ProductQuarter-Turn Throttle Ring For 08 Up Rubber Grips
Retail$19.95

Item #7687
ProductTaillight Top Trim
Retail$29.00
Head Hunter$27.55 (Save $1.45)
Taillight Top Trim install - 6/4/15

Basically the part dresses up the area below the license plate and above the turn signals. Trim already exists below the turn signals to the bottom of the fender.

Easy install. Followed the instructions included which includes cleaning the area for the trim to be mounted, remove the wax, dry and clean with the alcohol pad that comes with the new trim. Remove the tape from the back of the trim to expose the 3m glue. Place the trim on the fender and apply pressure for 1 minute. I placed a bungee cord to hold the trim for a couple hours. Looks great right?

Before trim install:

Lloydz Adjustable Timing Wheel & Gasket installed - 6/9/15

Took me less than an hour to install and pretty easy. Watch two videos before the install on youtube. Here is the link to the install video:

https://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play;_ylt=A2KLqIBq33ZVcRIAM1D7w8QF;_ylu=X3oDMTByN2RnbHFoBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDdmlkBHZ0aWQDBGdwb3MDMw--?p=How+To+Install+Lloyds+Timing+Wheel&vid=8ad8f238617c5f1f4103004547851eac&turl=http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=WN.SkaxkH4fJaDVeOBe5X9%2bSA&pid=15.1&h=173&w=300&c=7&rs=1&rurl=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3_RjEdk5ZI&tit=Lloydz+Timing+wheel+explained+by+The+Vic+Shop&c=2&h=173&w=300&l=472&sigr=11b1nm10d&sigt=11d926osl&sigi=12m5r6j4p&age=1393615798&fr2=p:s,v:v&fr=yfp-t-901-s&tt=b

Noticed a little better pull and low end or take off. Should add a bit more horse power (3-4) over all and should run cooler. Will report back after the next ride.

New Cup Holder - 6/5/15

Cup holder broke before leaving for Branson, MO on 6/4/15. Luckily, there was a Gold Wing Rally at the hotel next door. Visited and one of the vendors and they had a Barefoot Willies Cup Holder for $22.95 - SOLD.

I like my new Barefoot Willy Cup holder. Visit http://www.barefootwillies.com/ for more information and other products.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
1/4 Turn Throttle ring installed - 6/10/15

Mileage - 29,950

Installed the 1/4 Turn Throttle ring recently acquired from Witchdoctors. This removes the slop or excess turn required to move the throttle.

The install was a little different than on the video as my 2013 XCT did not have the 10mm adjustment bolts under the cheese wedge. (*UPDATE* - Had one 10mm bolt that needed to be adjusted to free up throttle grip. Pulled front cable out of housing to make it easier to get the wrench at bolt in back. Adjustment resulted in more threads showing towards back of bike.)

Had to cut off about a 1/4 inch of the cable cover on each throttle cable. As they were both rubbing the 1/4 turn ring after install. Got it all back together. Nice not having to twist the throttle a long way to make the bike go......

Here is the link to the video in case you're interested....

https://buywitchdoctors.oursafeserver.com/p/1816/victory-motorcycle-parts-general-accsys-judge-motorcycles-quarter-turn-throttle-ring-rubber-grips-sc-583/

Getting things done for the upcoming summer rides - long and short.

21 - 40 of 72 Posts