Honda VTX Forum banner

41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Saddle bag factory studs and springs replaced - 6/22/15

Mileage - 30,100

Was cruising the internet and saw that there was a concern the stock studs and springs that hold the saddle bags to the Victory can wear and fail resulting in loose or loosing the bags while riding. Found a company on line that sold a rugged bolt kit for $39.99 + shipping. Thought that price was a little steep. Went up to Charlies (local hardware/farm store in Wentzville) and bought four good grade bolts and regular size "u" type fasteners for about $6.00. Used the original washers and installed new allen bolts and fasteners "u" style spring nuts.

Saddle bags are now nice and secure.

For sale - OEM saddle bag bolts and spring clamps - $50.00 - The bolts are $15.99 each at Victory site and they don't even show the spring clamp price - says call dealer.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
New Front tire ordered - 7/6/15

Mileage - 32,688

Received many emails from motorcycle sites stating "Tire Sale". Have about 18,804 miles on the front tire put in service on 10/20/13 - (that's some good miles). Compared tire prices on line and found Dennis Kirk site to be cheapest by $15-20. Paid $105.88 with shipping ($5). Should arrive on July 8. We can wait to install the tire until later this year since the current tire still looks good. Been running 39-40 psi in the front tire. No cupping or excessive wear. Let's try for 20,000 miles on this tire - only 1196 more miles to go.

Tire ordered from Dennis Kirk for $105.88 shipped - should arrive on July 8. Still going with a rear motorcycle tire up front. Same tire that we used last time.

Rear Battlax BT45H 130/70H-18 Blackwall Tire - 066257

Stay tuned......

***UPDATE - 7/8/15 - Tire arrived - now sitting in garage until needed.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Oil changed and clutch cable lubed - 8/23/15

Mileage - 33,548

Changed oil today after a ride to the local flea market.

Had a bottle of Shell Rotella T5, 15w-40, semi-synthetic that I bought for $19.99 for a gallon from the farm store in Troy, MO. Also, used an Ecogard Premium Oil Filter X4610 from Rural King that was on sale but same size as the Bosch 3323 and Wix 51356. Used the same copper Replaced crush washer from the last oil change.

Note - Need more oil and oil filters - watch for sales/rebates. Rural King has oil and filters cheaper than the farm store.

June 2015 - Ordered crush washers from eBay that were delivered on Wednesday, Jun 17, 2015 - see below:

12mm Crush Washers - Oil Drain Plug - 10 pack for Motorcycles, ATVs, etc (CW-12)
Item price
$5.49
Quantity
Item number
Shipping service
USPS First Class Package

Also, lubed both ends of the clutch cable during this oil change.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Rear Air/oil shock leaking - 10/30/15

Mileage - 36,443

Returned from the colors ride to Jasper, AR and the next morning saw a small oil spot under the Victory. Got out a flash light to take a look and saw that the oil was coming from the rear shock. Took a few photo's in hopes of being able to sent to dealer to order a new shock under the extended warranty.

Called dealer - Munganest Motorsports. Was told need to bring the bike in for inspection - could not send them pictures electronically. Rode the bike to Munganest and Steve confirmed the rear shock was toast. Steve said that Joe (Service Manager) will contact the warranty company and make a request to replace the shock on my behalf. They would call me by Monday - 11/2/15.

11/2/15 - I called Munganest at 3:30 pm for an update. Spoke with Renee, she said that Joe was waiting for a call back from warranty company. I asked her to have Joe call me.

11/2/15 - I called warranty company - after a transfer and a few minutes hold time - I spoke with Ed. He reviewed the warranty with me and said the shock was NOT covered by the extended warranty. I pulled out my warranty and looked with him. The warranty is vague and only lists specifics related to engine, transmission and drive train.

I started to search for a rear shock and found them to range in price of $579 new from Polaris to $150 used on eBay.

11/3/15 - Joe from Munganest called and left me a voice mail to call him. I called that afternoon and he stated that he got an authorization number from the warranty company to replace the shock - THANK YOU JOE! There will be a $50 deductible that I will be responsible to pay.

Joe will order the new shock from Polaris. It should arrive in about a week. He will call me and then I will get the bike over there to have the shock replaced.

Extended Warranty expires 01/25/2016.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Rear Air/oil shock replaced by Dealer - 11/19/15

Mileage - 36,610

11/16/15 - Renee called from Mungenast Motorsports and the shock has arrived. It's raining in the St. Louis area now so I scheduled the shock replacement for Saturday - Nov. 20. Renee says it will take 2-3 hours. Confirmed that it is covered by the extended warranty and I will only pay a $50.00 deductible.

11/18/15 - Rain stopped and temps are near 60 degrees. Called Mike P and he was able to follow me to dealer to drop off the Victory to have the shock replaced. Went during rush hour traffic. Spoke with Renee and Joe and they confirmed shock will be replaced by Saturday covered by extended warranty with a $50.00 deductible.

11/19/15 - Joe from Mungenast Motorsports called and said the shock has been installed and the front tire is worn past the wear bars. I told him that I have a new tire in the garage ready to be installed. I told him that I would pick up the bike Saturday around noonish and drop off pizza for lunch. He will have the bike cleaned for me by then. GREAT!!!!

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
New Front Tire - 4/14/2016 (Ordered 7/6/15 on Sale)

Mileage - 36,954

Quote from 7/16/15 post:

New Front tire ordered - 7/6/15
Mileage - 32,688

Received many emails from motorcycle sites stating "Tire Sale". Have about 18,804 miles on the front tire put in service on 10/20/13 - (that's some good miles). Compared tire prices on line and found Dennis Kirk site to be cheapest by $15-20. Paid $105.88 with shipping ($5). Should arrive on July 8. We can wait to install the tire until later this year since the current tire still looks good. Been running 39-40 psi in the front tire. No cupping or excessive wear. Let's try for 20,000 miles on this tire - only 1196 more miles to go.

Tire ordered from Dennis Kirk for $105.88 shipped - should arrive on July 8. Still going with a rear motorcycle tire up front. Same tire that we used last time.

Rear Battlax BT45H 130/70H-18 Blackwall Tire - 066257

Stay tuned......

Update - Installed the new front tire today since the weather was nice and Harry was home. Removal and install went well off the bike and using Harry's tire machine.

*Note - Need to removed one of the two front brake calipers to remove wheel and tire from bike. Removed the right caliper facing the bike which has the ABS cable. Next time remove the left side so I won't have to mess with the ABS cable.

Put 2 ounces pf tire beads in tire using a long clear hose and had to coax with the compressor a couple times but worked well.

Set tire pressure at 39lbs.

Cleaned the axle and two spacers with carb cleaner and then used the last of the VTX's moly paste on the axle and spacers. The larger spacer goes on the left side as facing the bike.

52 ft lbs on the axle and 18 ft lbs on the two pinch bolts.

Pumped up the front brakes since I pushed them apart to remove and install the tire.

Took Mason (3 year old neighbor) for a little test ride around the neighborhood. He had fun and so did I.

Last front tire was changed at 13,884 and now at 36,954 - got 23,070 Miles out of the front tire. It did have some cupping on the sides - may need to consider a little less air pressure.

Let's go for another 23,000 miles+ on this new front tire.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Rear Air shock - no air - 4/15/16

Mileage - 37,000

Went for a ride to put some miles on the new front tire. Hit a bump and ouch.... that was harder than normal. Came home and checked the air in the rear air shock. No air in the shock. Put in about 62lbs of air and checked it a few days later - still holding. Must have leaked out over the cooler months and did not notice until a big enough bump was found......

I'll keep checking the air pressure in the shock before any long rides.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Oil, Filter and Crush Washer changed - 5/12/16

Mileage - 37,380

It was a rainy morning so I changed oil today after the morning shift at WSD Transportation.

I had two gallon bottles of Shell Rotella T5, 15w-40, semi-synthetic blend sitting in the cabinet in the garage that I got online in August 2015 from Wal-Mart for $14.84 per bottle. What a deal!

Installed the Ecogard Premium Oil Filter X4610 from Rural King that was on sale but same size as the Bosch 3323 and Wix 51356.

Replaced the copper crush washer from the last oil change with one of the new 10 pack got off eBay in June 2015.

Note -Look for more deals on oil. Got less than a gallon left since needed a bit of the 2nd gallon to top off the bike.

Stop raining so I can go ride.........:rain1:

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
Exhaust vents replaced - 6/21/16

Mileage - 38,684

Could hear a slight rattle in the rear exhaust on a recent road trip. Noticed that the dryer vents I previously installed under the chrome muffler ends had deteriorated due to vibration and heat. I installed these to stop the exhaust leak that is created due to the Atom Bomb mufflers delete of the stock tail pipe. Used a thicker 4" heating/cooling vent and cut to fit. It secures behind the chrome heat shield using the existing clamps for the heat shield.

These heat vents costs $2.88 each at Lowes compared to the dryer vent at $4.88 each.

I reviewed the thread and could not find my write up on the previous installation. I know I shared it with another Victory owner on the Victory website. I will try to find it and post it hear also. :wink2:

Added below from my VOG write up May 17, 2014:

Hi Joe - I read your comments in the MarketPlace about the exhaust leak you have with your pipes. I also did not like having the exhaust leak as I have the Atom Bombs and they do not have the pipes on the end. They also leaked exhaust on the chrome ends. I spoke with Bob the maker of the Atom Bombs and he said not to put the extension pipes back on as it would impact performance and sound. However, I did figure a fix to stop the exhaust from leaking and not impact the performance or sound. It actually helped reduce the popping also.

If you look at the ends of the exhaust - it leaks in the areas opposite the mounting edge for the chrome end caps. You can see a space under the bags between the chrome end cap and chrome heat shield. You can also see that the last clamp to mount the heat shield is close to the chrome end cap.

Here is what I did -

Went to Lowe's and purchased two 4 inch dryer vent pipes - one end is smooth and other is crimped.

I removed the chrome end caps off the XCT and put the smooth end up against the end of the Atom Bomb pipes to make some marks for cutting. I cut out the area where the mount flange is on the XCT exhaust on the vent pipe so that the opposite side would be long enough to slide over the exhaust and under the heat shield mounting clamp. Loosen the heat shield mounting clamp and slide the dryer vent under the clamp. Replace the chrome end cap before tightening the heat shield clamp.

This results in no obstructions to the exhaust coming out the Atom Bombs and fixes the exhaust leak. As I said it also reduced some exhaust popping I had.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Clutch adjustment and lubrication - 8/8/2016

Mileage - 40,181

Noticed a little clutch slippage in 5th gear when riding two up climbing hills on our weekend group ride to Warm Springs Ranch in Booneville, MO. Did a little research in the Victory forums and a clutch adjustment is the first step recommended. The clutch cable can tighten up as the clutch plates wear. My clutch cable was quite tight. Now I need to warm up the bike/oil for 5-10 minutes and take a ride - (find a hill to test 5th gear).

Also greased the cable at the clutch lever, pivot point by the engine and cable at the end of the casing.

Well bike should be warm enough after writing this post to take that test ride - hope this fixed the clutch slippage - 'cause we know what's next if it did not - a new set of clutch plates. :surprise:

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Clutch update - 8/8/16

Clutch Update -

Took a little ride on the highway, downshifted to make a few passes of other moving vehicles - Ta Da - :pepper1:no clutch slippage. We can wait a little while before having to replace the clutch plates. :thumbup:

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Driving lights replaced - 8/9/16

Mileage - 40,201

The driving lights previously installed on 4/3/14 started to show there age and had some lights burnt out.

Here is the post from 4/3/14:

Last week, installed some LED driving lights purchased at Rural King for $15. Mounted to highway bars with stainless house clamps. Found a switch at O'Reilly Auto parts that fit in the factory mount on the dash for $3.99. Switch lights up blue to match the lights on the other instruments.

Found a new set of lights on eBay that looked promising and the price was right - accepted my $12 bid.

2 Pcs Motorcycle Waterproof 5W 12V Bullet Style LED Driving Fog Light Headlight

They arrived today and were a little smaller than I was expecting. Installed today and they are BRIGHT.

Don't look to bad either.

Note - Switch needs to be replaced as it does not light up blue any more - been out for a while.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Grips wrapped with Tennis racquet grip -8/16/16

Mileage - 40,410

The OEM grips on the Victory are starting to show some wear. The grips are heated and expensive to replace. So while purchasing a new Lizard Skin leather wrap for my softball bat at Dick's Sporting Goods - I inquired about using Lizard Skin on the motorcycle. The sales associate had told me that other motorcycle riders have been purchasing tennis racquet wrap for motorcycle grips.

So I ventured over to the area with tennis equipment and looked at the various grip wraps available. Settle on the HEAD brand with three pieces in the package for $4.99.

Today, I wrapped the Victory's grips with tennis wrap. Feels good so far. Removed the chrome plastic end caps and cleaned the surface rust inside the handle bars.

Here is the wrap I purchased.

Grip feels a little thicker and has a new feel. Suppose to help absorb sweat and stay dry to the touch.

Will update after a few rides with the new grip wrap.

If your considering getting new grips, feel free to try this inexpensive grip wrap solution. Let me know how it goes.....

Attachments

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
Oil change - 10/26/16

Mileage - 42,254

I changed oil today after work today.

Stopped and purchased a gallon bottle of Shell Rotella T5, 15w-40, semi-synthetic blend at Wal-mart for $12.99 (Price matched the farm store in Troy). Used the gallon sitting in the cabinet in the garage that I got online in August 2015 from Wal-Mart for $14.84 per bottle.

Replaced oil fileter with an Ecogard Premium Oil Filter X4610 from Rural King same size as the Bosch 3323 and Wix 51356. Only one Purelator oil filter left in cabinet.

Reused the crush washer from the last oil change that was part of the new 10 pack I got off eBay in June 2015.

4,874 miles between oil changes.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
Kick Stand pad replaced with Hockey Puck - 5/20/17

Mileage - 44,044

I read about using an old (or new) hockey puck to replace the worn out kick stand pad. So I did it. Bought a new hockey puck for $1.99. Cut off the old worn pad and used it as a guide to shape the puck into a kick stand pad. It is a messy job cutting that hockey puck.. Started with a dremmel tool but it melted the puck and smelt bad. Finished the puck using the hack saw.

Bought two round head screws, counter sunk the bolts on the bottom. Looks good.

[/URL][/IMG]

With the thickness of the new hockey puck kick stand pad, it may never wear down. The Victory stands up a litte straighter - so be careful parking on high spots.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
New Rear Tire - 6/7/17

Mileage - 44,386

Well, did some cleaning on the bike yesterday and when I got to the rear wheel - the left side of the Dunlop Winter Sport was showing some cords after 15,357 miles. Looks the wear is from too low air pressure (35psi) and on the side of the tire that rides on the high (crowned) part of the road. Well the high expectations of the Dunlop Winter Sport was not met. I like getting about 25-30,000 miles on the car tire.

New tire acquired from Childs Tire - Mounted on wheel for $130.64. Went with the Nexen N'Fera AH08 - size 195/55/16. Had the new tire mounted on the spare rear wheel. Childs tire also remove the old tire from the wheel.

Started at 35psi. Going to increase to 37psi when the balancing beads arrive in the next couple days. Order 5oz. of TyreBeads on Amazon for $11.99 free shipping. Will be using 3oz in the rear tire.

Looks like the rear brake pads will need to be replaced soon. :surprise:

New Driving lights to be installed
Also - had a driving light go out on the bullet set. Appears a bulb that should not have burned out failed. Ordered a sleek new set of lights off eBay for $16.99 free shipping that arrive today. Install planned for tomorrow.

2pcs 18W LED Work Light Cree Flood Fog Driving Waterproof Motorcycle off Road Lights

Stay tuned.....:grin2:

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
9/5/17 - ABS Light issue resolved and Pork Chop Vic Puck installed

Mileage - 46,060

ABS Light was staying on shortly after the tire install in June 2017. Also, ABS system was not working - I could lock up the wheels when braking.

Been doing some research on the internet and had some time this evening to check a few things. What I found as my issue was the wire for the ABS reader was rubbing against the rear brake rotor. It had worn the top protective casing off and wore down both wires to bare wire mostly on the red wire with a little on the black wire.

Pulled the ABS wire back away from the rotor and zip tied it to the swing arm. Took a little ride down the street and the ABS light went out after hitting 5-6 mph range - ABS is working properly again.

I took some liquid tape and cover the expose wires. I also used electrical tape and put a wire wrap over the wires. I made sure the wires were supported so it would not rub the rotor. Life is good again! :smile2:

July 20, 2017 - Pork Chop Vic Puck

While vacationing in Michigan - I looked up Rick of Pork Chops Vic Pucks and picked up a puck for my kickstand. Here is the ling to his FaceBook page - https://www.facebook.com/PorkChopsVicPucks/

Look him up - Great guy with a good product.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Oil Change 10/23/17

Mileage - 47,079

I changed oil today after work today. Almost a year (10/26/16) to the date since the last oil change.

Purchased a gallon bottle of Shell Rotella T5, 15w-40, semi-synthetic blend on-line at Rural King (discount price for ordering on-line than store) for $12.99 - just pick up at service desk. Used the gallon sitting in the cabinet in the garage that I got online in from Wal-Mart for $12.99 per bottle.

Replaced oil filter with a Purolator L14612 that I had on the garage shelf. Just a wee bit smaller size as the Ecogard Premium Oil Filter X4610, Bosch 3323 and Wix 51356. Need to get more filters for future oil changes.

Flipped the crush washer from the last oil change that was part of the new 10 pack I got off eBay in June 2015.

4,825 miles between oil changes.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #60 (Edited)
Drive Belt Adjustment & Driving Lights rewired 11/19/17

Mileage - 47,135

It was a cold and windy day - good day to do a few maintenance items on the Victory.

Drive Belt Adjustment -

Drive belt was still a bit off center since the tire change earlier in the rear. Played with it a few times over the summer but just still not right. Took the time and got it centered today.

Driving Lights Rewired -

In my hast to get the driving lights installed in June, I wired them directly to the battery. Good idea at the time but left them on a few times over the summer. Luckily, they don't draw much power, the battery never failed to start the bike. Took the power wire off the battery today and ran it to the wire with the headlight. Now the driving lights will go off with the key/power going off on the bike.

Also winterized the lawn tractor and the neighbors lawn tractor (his first time since buying my previous tractor this summer) while I was working in the garage.

Cleaned everything up and came inside for a little lemonade and ice tea (Arnold Palmer style)....

41 - 60 of 76 Posts