Honda VTX Forum banner
81 - 86 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
O3/05/2021 - Re-gripped grips

Miles - 65,xxx miles

Bought Wilson brand tennis racquet grip tape at Wal-Mart for $2.97. Got 3 pieces in the package. Used 2 of then to re-grip the worn OEM grips.

Note - start the new wrap from the end cap and work inward towards the handle bars.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
10/17/2021 - Replaced clutch cable
Miles - 68,900

On the way home from work on Friday, 10/08/2021, the clutch cable broke at the lever about 4 miles from home. So my skills were put to the test to ride home with limited shifting and no stops. I had to time 2 stop lights, security gate and 2 stop signs. I was able to make it to the end of my driveway. A couple of neighbors happen to be passing by in their golf cart. Perfect timing to help me push the Victory up the incline driveway into the garage.

I went on line and found a full clutch cable in sleeve that was 6 inches longer than stock for $100. I ordered it. Then after thinking about it, I remember a fella that made his own cable using it's sleeve. So I found the video and he had listed the parts needed to make your own cable for around $40 on Amazon. I cancelled the ebay cable order and bought the Amazon parts - 3/32" cable (100 ft), Dorman cable stops assorted sizes (6) and set screws to use in the cable stops.

I followed the instructions on the video and made the cable. I used my compressor cut off tool to make the cable stops the correct size to fit in the clutch lever and clutch catch on the transmission.

It WORKS !!! Just need to make a small adjustment to the cable, it grabbing at start. Shifts fine in the test run and sits still at the stops.

10/18/2021 - Battery replaced

Miles - 68,915

Noticed the bike started sluggish after sitting for the week with the broken clutch cable. Original battery has still been in use since 2013 when the bike was new, SO it was definitely time for a replacment. Bought this one on ebay:

YTX20L-BS High Performance - Maintenance Free - Sealed AGM Motorcycle Battery
Total: $56.60
Order number: 01-07662-10907
Item ID: 281417840164
Seller: chromebattery

It was a pain in the butt removing. One of the allen bolts on the radiator shield was stripped and I had to dremmel a slot to remove it with a flat head screw driver. Ironically, the old battery bolt fit perfect as a replacement bolt. Bike starts a lot faster now.

OK..... enough working on the bike..... back to riding.....

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
12/30/21 - Oil Changed

Miles - 69,166

It appears I have missed posting an oil change earlier this year. But I remembered to post today's oil change.

Purchased a gallon of Rotella T5 Synthetic Blend 15w-40 and another quart of 15w-40 diesel oil to make the 5 quarts needed. Picked up the SuperTech ST6607 oil filter also. The oil was $18.87 for the Rotella and $3.97 for the diesel quart. The filter was $2.97.

Loving this Florida weather. It was 85 degrees today.

Wishing you all a Happy New Year and looking forward to a better 2022 for all of us. Ride safe!!!

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Front Brake Pads installed - 8/3/2022

Mileage - 69,833

Noticed the front brake pads were worn thin while repairing the foot pegs. Had a set of front bake pads in the tool box. Part # VBP095 (front) Volar Motorsport brand
Watched WitchDoctors video on how to replace the front brake pads. Remove one pin, spring removal, push pistons back reomve pads then install. Use backing plate off old pads on new pads. Pump brake lever to push pistons to pads - All done. (21,150 miles between front brake pad change)

Repaired broken foot peg - 8/3/2022

Something fell on the bike and dented the fender, cracked a fork guard and broke off a foot peg. Not sure when or how.
Had an old set of peg mounts that I used to remount the pegs. My feet can rest again while riding.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Front Brake Pads installed - 8/3/2022

Mileage - 69,833

Watched WitchDoctors video on how to replace the front brake pads. Remove one pin, spring removal, push pistons back reomve pads then install. Use backing plate off old pads on new pads. Pump brake lever to push pistons to pads -
That's a good resource. I watched the video. :)

81 - 86 of 86 Posts