Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a thing for all black bikes. Had yesterday and today off work and I was mad about the Gamecocks losing, so I started on my black out. Blackout 1.jpg Blackout 2.jpg Blackout 3.jpg Blackout 4.jpg Blackout 5.jpg

Up next is the headlight bucket and ring, final, and the engine. This winter I'll strip everything else down and get the trees, fork covers, fork lowers, struts, rims, and shocks powdercoated. I am also getting all of the fenders shaved and some black 14" apes. I really want some 19x3.5 black spokes for the front and 18s for the rear, can't seem to find them though.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
You are definately making it "yours". I'll be interested to see the shaved fenders, keep us posted. I don't know about the R wheels being black, but I did see where somebody took some spoke wheels off an S and had the rims and hubs powder coated. Then they finished them off with new brushed stainless spokes. I'm thinking about puting some on my bike like that, but I would also powdercoat some other parts and repaint the tins. I'm not quite "there" yet. You could consider a black engine, I think the 1300s should have came with it that way in the first place.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are definately making it "yours". I'll be interested to see the shaved fenders, keep us posted. I don't know about the R wheels being black, but I did see where somebody took some spoke wheels off an S and had the rims and hubs powder coated. Then they finished them off with new brushed stainless spokes. I'm thinking about puting some on my bike like that, but I would also powdercoat some other parts and repaint the tins. I'm not quite "there" yet. You could consider a black engine, I think the 1300s should have came with it that way in the first place.

Yeah I've been a little skeptical about the black R wheels myself. The blacked out engine will come as soon as I can stop riding it for a while.

·
Registered
384 Posts
So what did you use for the coating? Paint? Plasti dip? Did you coat the gas cap as well, or leave it black? Looks great. I'm about to do the same thing. Trying to do some research first though.

Details man, details!

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
GEZZZZ, net thing ya know you will be a mat blacking the paint, lol. smitt

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
love the black. Blacked out my Orange X and loved it. Used Ryno liner. really held up well.

if any of you decide to do this, can you swap me out your rt side rear engine cover? mine is a little beat up and the new one is crazy expensive. just a thought to help a fellow X'er out. LOL

cant wait to see more pics.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So what did you use for the coating? Paint? Plasti dip? Did you coat the gas cap as well, or leave it black? Looks great. I'm about to do the same thing. Trying to do some research first though.

Details man, details!
As far as paint, I used duplicilor adhesion promotor, krylon fusion (flat black) as another primer, and the base coat is John Deere Blitz Black from the local dealer. I chose the blitz black because I love the Harley color, Black denim, and the blitz black is the same pigment. The John Deere paint also is high temp. I left the gas cap silver. Mine isn't chrome to begin with bc it's a replacement. It kinda had a brushed stainless look to it.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Looks awesome.... I'm sure the R wheels would also look great in black... I've seen it and it was super stealth looking....

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Thats just BAD AZZZZZ. Smitt
Looks awesome.... I'm sure the R wheels would also look great in black... I've seen it and it was super stealth looking....

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
love the black. Blacked out my Orange X and loved it. Used Ryno liner. really held up well.

if any of you decide to do this, can you swap me out your rt side rear engine cover? mine is a little beat up and the new one is crazy expensive. just a thought to help a fellow X'er out. LOL

cant wait to see more pics.
Before I painted mine, I looked into buying some. It's ridiculous how expensive those things are.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
i'm really wanting to black out my engine, just can't seem to push myself into doin it . and not sure how it would look on a red bike . also i've been thinkin of getting some chrome engine case covers first then blackng out the heads just not sure if i'd like the looks.

·
Registered
7,175 Posts
i'm really wanting to black out my engine, just can't seem to push myself into doin it . and not sure how it would look on a red bike . also i've been thinkin of getting some chrome engine case covers first then blackng out the heads just not sure if i'd like the looks.
A friend of mine vtxrosa on the board blacked out his engine and has a red bike, looks great

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I think it would look great. Black goes with anything.

·
Registered
7,175 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
That red seat REALLY makes the statement . if it were black it would just be another crappy bad ass wanna be. but that is awesome. Would be even better if the seat actually matched the paint colour it looks a bit pinky but it could just be the lighting.and those gloss pipes give the illusion of being square in some places .

·
Registered
126 Posts
I think it looks great! Here's my '02 1800 c that I blacked out this winter.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341374990.972404.jpg

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
That is what I wanted to do also just didn't..but I am still excited about what I did..and would not change until another year and then black everything out...like yours for sure.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts